Drive from Burlington to Jay Peak - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Comparing NJ snow removal on interstates to VT snow removal on state highways? Apples and donkeys.

For one, salt is very effective at 28 degrees and near worthless at 10 degrees.

Two, NJ is the most densely populated state in America. More people live in NJ per square mile than any other state. Vermont is number 31. The cost to clear a mile of interstate in NJ per resident is 17x less in NJ (rough, simple math).

Interstates in NJ also happen to be vitally important to the US economy as a substantial portion of goods cross NJ everyday. Vermont? Not so much.
    2017/2018

I drove back from killington a few weeks ago in an ice storm..1 year old Honda Ridgeline..all season tires..i popped for Blizzac dvm2 tires right after that..with rims..1400.00...because i dont want to die getting to my mountains. Tjis ice storm is going to be killer..ive almist been killed a few times driving in this shit..no more. Not worth it.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by fullsend22 View Post
    All Season tires with 30k miles on them already. Car performs decent in the snow.
    Translation = No snow tires, worn out all seasons like the rest of the flatlanders.

Wet icy snow/slush is the worst. Just take it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by MEtoVTSkier View Post
    Translation = No snow tires, worn out all seasons like the rest of the flatlanders.

Wet icy snow/slush is the worst. Just take it easy.
    Yea...amazing what a huge difference snow tires make vs all seasons. First thing I did when I bought my new truck last year was buy a set of snow tires.

Drive from Burlington to Jay Peak

Iíd like to use snow tires but I simply donít have the space to store them at my place in the off season. Iíve never been too nervous driving my Subarus chasing storms. Iím a cautious driver in snowstorms but thatís not the case for everyone.
    Last edited by Edd; Jan 14, 2018 at 5:01 AM.

No tire helps when there is an ice storm. Snow? yes. ice? no.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    No tire helps when there is an ice storm. Snow? yes. ice? no.
    Theoretically a studded tire helps, but I’d hate to test that theory.

I had studded snow tires back in the 80's on my rear wheel drive Toyota Celica. They made a big difference. I lived South Lake Tahoe one very snowy season and never had any trouble getting around. Only put chains on when they would't let you up the pass without them.
    form is a 4 letter word

Yeah, studded tires do make quite a difference, even compared to snow tires. During my Stowe years I always opted for them. I spent most of my time in town then and well over 50% of my travel was on the dirt roads around town, which weren't always the best maintained. Studded tires just offer that much more bite compared to regular snows. Living in the flatlands now and only visiting the mountains with most of my time spent on the highways, it doesn't make a lot of sense. If I were to live in Northern VT, I'd probably go for them again.

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    Comparing NJ snow removal on interstates to VT snow removal on state highways? Apples and donkeys.

For one, salt is very effective at 28 degrees and near worthless at 10 degrees.

Two, NJ is the most densely populated state in America. More people live in NJ per square mile than any other state. Vermont is number 31. The cost to clear a mile of interstate in NJ per resident is 17x less in NJ (rough, simple math).

Interstates in NJ also happen to be vitally important to the US economy as a substantial portion of goods cross NJ everyday. Vermont? Not so much.
    All good points.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information