• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Drive from Burlington to Jay Peak

fullsend22

This might be a silly question but how is the drive from Burlington to Jay Peak? I am going to be in Burlington this weekend and am thinking about hitting Jay on Saturday. I am seeing snow potentially falling an inch an hour starting at 3am. How treacherous is the route? I have a AWD BMW but not sure of the terrain heading there. Thanks!

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Fulsend, welcome. Depending on which part you're coming from it can be 90 minutes to 2 hours. And yes, we're expecting a good 10" and maybe more once 7a rolls around and things cool off. That being said, Saturday isn't going to be an optimal experience here, and I'd hold off to be honest. It's going to be a tough slog and I'd rather have you wait for a better day. Unless, you know, you're a waterparker then completely ignore me.

sw

This might be a silly question but how is the drive from Burlington to Jay Peak? I am going to be in Burlington this weekend and am thinking about hitting Jay on Saturday. I am seeing snow potentially falling an inch an hour starting at 3am. How treacherous is the route? I have a AWD BMW but not sure of the terrain heading there. Thanks!

BenedictGomez

That drive could be pretty bad on Saturday. It should switch to snow by 8am, but there will be a ton of h2o, freezing rain, slushy god-knows-what on the ground that's also freezing at that time. If you really want to ski Saturday, you may want to stay at JP tonight or an airbnb or inn close by.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
What he said^ but you still may want to stay in BTV and go to Pizzeria Verita
That drive could be pretty bad on Saturday. It should switch to snow by 8am, but there will be a ton of h2o, freezing rain, slushy god-knows-what on the ground that's also freezing at that time. If you really want to ski Saturday, you may want to stay at JP tonight or an airbnb or inn close by.

fullsend22

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated. I have the Epic Local Pass but am blacked out at Stowe tomorrow so was trying to hit Jay. Unless anyone has any other recommendations on where to go.

BenedictGomez

Unless anyone has any other recommendations on where to go.

There's no slam dunk for tomorrow. It will likely be rough most everywhere. If you're really wanting to roll-the-dice, Whiteface is the best option on the models, but again, Whiteface may be awful or it could be good. Total uncertainly now. Second place (on the models) would be Jay Peak.

fbrissette

While tomorrow is going to be an interesting day, I think you are both pessimistic. It will switch to snow much earlier than 8AM and any iceshit will be gone by morning driving time.

Having said that, my plan is to arrive at Jay today early enough for cocktail hour.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
I'm a fatalist by nature so you'll have to forgive me Franc. hope you're right. We're definitely going to see a nice post-sleet snow accumulation though.

While tomorrow is going to be an interesting day, I think you are both pessimistic. It will switch to snow much earlier than 8AM and any iceshit will be gone by morning driving time.

Having said that, my plan is to arrive at Jay today early enough for cocktail hour.

BenedictGomez

It will switch to snow much earlier than 8AM and any iceshit will be gone by morning driving time.

I mean, pick your model. There are some where it could change to snow by 5am, by 6am, and some by 8am. It's really a crap-shoot. I am encouraged that it seems to be moving quickly, but whenever it starts, snow has to get on the ground before skiing improves.

As for the driving though, that I disagree with you on. On a good day, Vermont does a poor job with its' roads, and this one's going to be a real overnight ****show and a half!

fbrissette

I mean, pick your model. There are some where it could change to snow by 5am, by 6am, and some by 8am. It's really a crap-shoot. I am encouraged that it seems to be moving quickly, but whenever it starts, snow has to get on the ground before skiing improves.

As for the driving though, that I disagree with you on. On a good day, Vermont does a poor job with its' roads, and this one's going to be a real overnight ****show and a half!

????? Are you talking Z times ? Temp will go below freezing in Burlington around midnight and a couple of hours earlier in Montreal.

As to Vermont road conditions, they do better than Quebec in a snowstorm.

BenedictGomez

????? Are you talking Z times ? Temp will go below freezing in Burlington around midnight and a couple of hours earlier in Montreal.

More like 9pm or 10pm, which means road surfaces will be freezing, and after a poopload of rain and sleet to boot. Wont be fun, IMO.

If that's true, may I never be driving in Quebec in a snowstorm!

fbrissette

More like 9pm or 10pm, which means road surfaces will be freezing, and after a poopload of rain and sleet to boot. Wont be fun, IMO.

But we should be in full snow mode by 6AM. I actually have a good feeling about this storm.

If that's true, may I never be driving in Quebec in a snowstorm!

On the other hand, everyone has snow tires and has some experience with winter driving conditions. No New-Yorkers trying to go up 242 with bad all-season tires.

ThinkSnow

I completely agree with this, and feel that VT does a much better job than most when it comes to winter road conditions....Especially taking into consideration how much of the state is dependent upon winter sports as a source of tourist income.

cdskier

I always have been pretty impressed with the job VT does on taking care of roads in the winter. Then again, you also have to give them some time and can't expect things to be good within minutes of a storm ending.

crank

I've done the drive from Burlington to Jay and it is fairly flat, through farm country until you reach Montgomery Center and the last 5 or so miles head up 242 to the resort. That said, with the rain, then a fast freeze with sleet and snow on top the roads may be slick. I once drove a similar weather pattern up to MRG and it was doable but a bit sketchy.

If the top is closed but Bonnie and or Jet are open it can still be worth it. Once spent an entire windy, stormy day skiing the side country off the Jet.

WWF-VT

Do you have winter tires ?

VTKilarney

I completely agree with this, and feel that VT does a much better job than most when it comes to winter road conditions....Especially taking into consideration how much of the state is dependent upon winter sports as a source of tourist income.

It really depends on where in the state you are driving. Some areas are taken care of much better than others. And let's not forget that Vermont does not have a clear roads policy like other states have. Vermont has a "safe-roads-at-safe-speeds" policy.

In my experience, New Hampshire does a MUCH better job with their roads than my section of Vermont.