Drive from Burlington to Jay Peak

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Drive from Burlington to Jay Peak

This might be a silly question but how is the drive from Burlington to Jay Peak? I am going to be in Burlington this weekend and am thinking about hitting Jay on Saturday. I am seeing snow potentially falling an inch an hour starting at 3am. How treacherous is the route? I have a AWD BMW but not sure of the terrain heading there. Thanks!

Fulsend, welcome. Depending on which part you're coming from it can be 90 minutes to 2 hours. And yes, we're expecting a good 10" and maybe more once 7a rolls around and things cool off. That being said, Saturday isn't going to be an optimal experience here, and I'd hold off to be honest. It's going to be a tough slog and I'd rather have you wait for a better day. Unless, you know, you're a waterparker then completely ignore me.

sw

Quote Originally Posted by fullsend22 View Post
    This might be a silly question but how is the drive from Burlington to Jay Peak? I am going to be in Burlington this weekend and am thinking about hitting Jay on Saturday. I am seeing snow potentially falling an inch an hour starting at 3am. How treacherous is the route? I have a AWD BMW but not sure of the terrain heading there. Thanks!

That drive could be pretty bad on Saturday. It should switch to snow by 8am, but there will be a ton of h2o, freezing rain, slushy god-knows-what on the ground that's also freezing at that time. If you really want to ski Saturday, you may want to stay at JP tonight or an airbnb or inn close by.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

What he said^ but you still may want to stay in BTV and go to Pizzeria Verita
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    That drive could be pretty bad on Saturday. It should switch to snow by 8am, but there will be a ton of h2o, freezing rain, slushy god-knows-what on the ground that's also freezing at that time. If you really want to ski Saturday, you may want to stay at JP tonight or an airbnb or inn close by.

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated. I have the Epic Local Pass but am blacked out at Stowe tomorrow so was trying to hit Jay. Unless anyone has any other recommendations on where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by fullsend22 View Post
    Unless anyone has any other recommendations on where to go.
    There's no slam dunk for tomorrow. It will likely be rough most everywhere. If you're really wanting to roll-the-dice, Whiteface is the best option on the models, but again, Whiteface may be awful or it could be good. Total uncertainly now. Second place (on the models) would be Jay Peak.

Bolton Valley is a ton of fun, and just outside of Burlington.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

While tomorrow is going to be an interesting day, I think you are both pessimistic. It will switch to snow much earlier than 8AM and any iceshit will be gone by morning driving time.

Having said that, my plan is to arrive at Jay today early enough for cocktail hour.

I'm a fatalist by nature so you'll have to forgive me Franc. hope you're right. We're definitely going to see a nice post-sleet snow accumulation though.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    While tomorrow is going to be an interesting day, I think you are both pessimistic. It will switch to snow much earlier than 8AM and any iceshit will be gone by morning driving time.

Having said that, my plan is to arrive at Jay today early enough for cocktail hour.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    It will switch to snow much earlier than 8AM and any iceshit will be gone by morning driving time.
    I mean, pick your model. There are some where it could change to snow by 5am, by 6am, and some by 8am. It's really a crap-shoot. I am encouraged that it seems to be moving quickly, but whenever it starts, snow has to get on the ground before skiing improves.

As for the driving though, that I disagree with you on. On a good day, Vermont does a poor job with its' roads, and this one's going to be a real overnight ****show and a half!

Thread Information