• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

That's it, I'm done with MLK wknd in New England

ThinkSnow

So what you’re saying (after a few paragraphs) is essentially?l

waaaaaah

I had kids and now my life sucks

Everybody should feel bad for me

Whitey

whitey, you need to take a winter driving lesson if you slid across a parking lot and watched as you hit another car!!

Darent, I can say with 100% confidence that I have done more winter weather driving with more different types of equipment and done it all over the US and Canada than just about anyone on this forum. The conditions were that bad and the cheap hotel we were staying at hadn't done any sanding or salting. When I started to slide it didn't even occur to me that it could go on like it did where I would go completely across an open parking lot at such a low rate of speed.

Whitey

So what you’re saying (after a few paragraphs) is essentially?l

waaaaaah

I had kids and now my life sucks

Everybody should feel bad for me

Actually, no that's nothing like what I said. I couldn't care less what you think nor would I want your sympathy. I've skied all over the world and continue to do so. My boys were/are expert skiers by the time they reached their early teens and bringing them along as skiers & seeing them shred mountains is one of the great joys of my life. My numerous posts of ski trips with them in the videos and pics is a testament to that.

I posted on a northeast skiers forum about how bad the last couple of MLKs have been for me as a rant and because the people on this forum should "get it" and find some humor in it. But on every forum there are people who lack a sense of humor and don't get it and in this case - you're it.

shwilly

We feel your pain, Whitey. May future trips bring better conditions.

I had a slow motion skid in the parking lot of the Barking Dawg on Saturday night. Thought we were headed into a snowbank, but we came to a stop just in time.

boston_e

Was at Sunday River this last weekend. Saturday was 4 runs and done. Conditions were real bad. Feel bad for you. You blew it by not going out Sunday. Yes, some of the prime lifts were down because of power failures. I managed the singles line at South Ridge in five minutes. Groups were taking 45 minutes, a real shit show. Got to the North Peak lift and the singles line was a minute at best. Lift line was 5 minutes. Skied down to Aurora and had to wait for the liftie to come out of the shack, NO ONE WAS THERE! Went up and over on Cyclone to Jordan. NO ONE THERE. Spent a half dozen runs in Jordan on decently groomed trails with some corduroy still showing. I skied up to and onto the lift for every run. Went back to Aurora, yes, only Northern lights was open, but again as no one was there and the grooming held up well. I only did one run on Dream Maker on the way home, and that was OK near noon. There was some decent skiing to be had as most people either did like you and bagged it, or they stuck to the main area.

I too was at Sunday River this weekend and I agree with your assessment. Conditions on Sunday vastly exceeded my expectations. We started at White Cap and took a few runs off of the White Cap quad where there was basically zero line, then went and did a few runs off the white heat quad (also no line). Obsession skied quite well considering the rain / thaw that had just happened. The lack of traffic helped the grooming in these areasto hold up for a while. Took a late lunch and went out for a few other random runs.

Sunday back out and found the same that the grooming held up well and then some runs under the guns where they were blowing snow was lovely.

Obviously not great conditions in the grand scheme of things, but ended up really quite enjoyable considering what we just went through.

abc

I found January pretty tricky. (but I'm still planning a long weekend this weekend nevertheless)

Maybe too much hassle for just 4 days. But a quicky trip to SLC instead?

Whitey

I too was at Sunday River this weekend and I agree with your assessment. Conditions on Sunday vastly exceeded my expectations.

Dick C and Boston e -

I hear what you are saying and I knew Sunday would be better as SR would work hard to get the mtn in as good shape as they could on such an important weekend. But all my trips so far this year have been mostly skiing groomers and that just doesn't do that much for me & we weren't that interested in doing more. That and the fact that there were NFL playoff games on TV, there's just not a lot of incentive for me and my boys to go out and arc a bunch of turns on groomed out terrain.

ShadyGrove

Planning ski trips more than 2 weeks in advance is a very bad idea. With so many lodging choices these days (hotels, condos, AirBnB, VRBO, etc) you can wait until the forecast comes out before even making a reservation.

As for trips out west, there are no guarantees there either. They have had very poor conditions until just recently (book a trip to Whister for as soon as possible and you will not be disappointed) so your MLK weekend there might have been a bust as well.

abc

As for trips out west, there are no guarantees there either. They have had very poor conditions until just recently (book a trip to Whister for as soon as possible and you will not be disappointed) so your MLK weekend there might have been a bust as well.
"A bad day skiing the west is still better than a good day of skiing the east"

fbrissette

"A bad day skiing the west is still better than a good day of skiing the east"

That's BS. I've had my fair share of terrible days in the West and in the Alps.

The potential for good and great days is better out West, that's all you can say.

abc

That's BS. I've had my fair share of terrible days in the West and in the Alps.

The potential for good and great days is better out West, that's all you can say.
"Terrible days in the west"? Like?

I've done a substantial portion of my days out west. I've had some groomer days, that's about all. I haven't had much in the way of "terrible days". None as described in the initial post of this thread!

Smellytele

"Terrible days in the west"? Like?

I've done a substantial portion of my days out west. I've had some groomer days, that's about all. I haven't had much in the way of "terrible days". None as described in the initial post of this thread!

I have had days that have been after a thaw and refreeze and it can get sketchy. I have had this on the back side of Abasin and also in Tahoe at Alpine meadows. Another time in Utah at Snowbird it was sleeting/freezing rain and it was sticking to everything. Then in Tahoe you can also get Sierra cement which can be almost impossible to ski.

abc

Then in Tahoe you can also get Sierra cement which can be almost impossible to ski.
Sierra cement ungroomed, yes.

That's when I call it "groomer days". But that's about as "terrible" as it ever gets. Which, many of here would say it's still a "good day for the east"!

Smellytele

Sierra cement ungroomed, yes.

That's when I call it "groomer days". But that's about as "terrible" as it ever gets. Which, many of here would say it's still a "good day for the east"!
When it is snow all day and they aren't grooming out the cement then it is a shitty day same with the thaw/refreeze days and freezing rain.

FBGM

Darent, I can say with 100% confidence that I have done more winter weather driving with more different types of equipment and done it all over the US and Canada than just about anyone on this forum. The conditions were that bad and the cheap hotel we were staying at hadn't done any sanding or salting. When I started to slide it didn't even occur to me that it could go on like it did where I would go completely across an open parking lot at such a low rate of speed.

Watch out, Jerry here is a winter expert at the driving. His bald tire BMW from dirty jerz will out drive all man kind.