• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

catskills snow reports needed fro Jan 17 2018

ScottySkis

I know some are enjoying this perfect snow that fell in the catskills please let me see some nice trip reoprts.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I went to Windham yesterday. An inch of snow on top of a pretty slick base. Highly doubt anything natural will be in play as there was zero base on anything without snowmaking.

I had a lot of fun skiing whales on Wolverine and Wonderama. Wedel was fun too. It was my first time to Windham in years and I was VERY impressed and will return! The place skis big and there's a nice variety of trails.

abc

Not exactly IN the Cats, but real close.

I only had time to make it to the Gunks with my xc skis. The 6-8" was super dry and super light! Well, at least early on, out of the wind & out of the sun. By late afternoon, it started to get a bit heavy for my skinny skis.

So, while it was soft and fluffy, I had a great time.

But, the fluffy snow are easily blown away and easy to penetrate. So my poles were hitting bare ground under the snow since there's ZERO base without snowmaking. And bare spot in anywhere windblown.

Translate to downhill skiing... any natural trails will be scratchy, unless they're blown bare. Stick to trails with a man-made base.

And if you can figure out where the wind is putting the extra dry snow, you're all golden!

Have fun!!!

livtoski

I was up at Belleayre yesterday. They got 4-5 inches of snow on Wed. All the trials were nicely groomed packed power except for Dot Nebel. The new Gondola is neat.