• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This Friday + weekend, MAX pass mountains?

abc

I was away last week so missed the "weather history". Trying to deduce what condition can we expect with this new snow of last night and today. Like, on top of what the new snow will be falling on and how it'll ski come Friday+weekend?

I got a glimpse from the other "Friday" thread this will be more a groomers only weekend in the southern mountains? Anyone care to chime in on what one can expect at Bellearye? (that's the only southern mountain on the MAX pass)

What about southern VT? Okemo/Stratton? (I'm not a fan of either but hey, the lift ticket will be free, though I'll have to pay for lodging, which is kind of pricy in much of southern VT) Would going further to Pico/K be better condition-wise?

Further north? Whiteface? Worth the extra drive? Or not?

(I don't have to stay in one place the whole time. I can do a day here and drive on further north, IF it's worth it that is)

Saturday looks to be a bit on the warm side, any intelligent guess as to how that would affect skiing?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Windham also on Max Pass in Catskills. 1-2 combo. Stratton will make out well.

Just be warned this is a "perfect storm" weekend for crowds.

Well-hyped snowstorm in the Flatlands, hitting NYC and Boston.
Pent up demand with miserable MLK weekend and cold the previous weekends/Christmas holiday.
Weekend weather has very comfortable temps in the low 40s and upper 30s depending on where you go.
Terrain will still be very limited...get it by 10am Saturday or trails will be scraped back down to the boiler plate.

I will be skiing at Catmount or Berkshire East Friday (most likely) then hunkering down at Thunder Ridge for what will be a crazy weekend of teaching.

abc

oh, I forgot about Windham. Anyone care to speculate on crowd situation between them Windham/Bell/Stratton?

xlr8r

Crowds will probably be low Sunday because of the Pats game at 3pm. I am looking to head to Killington Saturday and maybe Okemo Sunday which would only be a half day to get home for the game. Save the Killington days on my MAX for full days or late season.

abc

For me, Kmart, Okemo & Stratton (& Pico) are more or less the same hassle to me. All overnighters, i.e. need to add lodging cost.

So it's only if they have better condition than the Cats, which I can day trip (and sleep in my own bed, for free).

LookinForTreeS

The conditions at Stratton yesterday were great at the end of the day after the full 7" dropped. Most of the mtn is open and it looks like they will have over 80 trails open this weekend. The Sunbowl is a great place to hang out and avoid the crowds. The last weekend I was there I had to wait 20 min in lift lines by the main lodge, but I could ski right to the lift in the Sunbowl. The glades are a little thin after last weekends warm up, so you will probably have to stick to the trails.

sankaty

I was at Stratton today and is was decent, but not great. Groomed trails were on the firm side on the steeper parts, pretty soft of the low-angle parts. More details in the trip report forum.