• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Quick question...Crystal Mountain or Snoqualmie for a day trip?

Boxtop Willie

Going to Seattle on Business for a week in late Feb. Have a day off in the middle of the trip (a Thursday) and want to get a day of skiing in. Which area is the better venue? Crystal or Snoqualmie? Me: advanced skier, skies everything but won't be doing anything stupid, still need to work the weekend. Will bring boots, rent skis.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Was there a few years ago and exact same one day business scenario. Go to Crystal!

Stayed in Eunemclaw (sp) and it turned out to be a bluebird day at Crystal the only day I skied there. My avatar is from Crystal w Rainier in the background.

shwilly

Never been to Snoqualmie, but I'll add to the chorus saying Crystal is awesome, an excellent way to spend your Thursday.

Bosco DaSkia

Going to Seattle on Business for a week in late Feb. Have a day off in the middle of the trip (a Thursday) and want to get a day of skiing in. Which area is the better venue? Crystal or Snoqualmie? Me: advanced skier, skies everything but won't be doing anything stupid, still need to work the weekend. Will bring boots, rent skis.
Thanks for any suggestions.

You should hit Alpental. Chair 2 has padded seats....

:slap:

p_levert

Go to Crystal, it's quite a ski area. I kept thinking: "Why isn't this place more famous?".

And, get ready, it's steep.

jaytrem

Can always hit Snoqualmie for a little night skiing to get a taste.

Kleetus

Was just out there first weekend of January. All though conditions sucked due to rain and re-freeze, Crystal would get my vote as it is huge and looked to have some pretty sweet terrain. Lots of trees and bowl skiing to choose from. In good conditions, would be awesome.

Full disclosure, I did not ski Snoqualmie as it was weekend and I was warned by some friends who live and ski out there it gets crazy busy and that Crystal was much better.

If you go to Crystal, check out the Snorting Elk after. Great bar!

Too far for a day trip, but Mt. Baker is pretty sweet too. Went there after Crystal on account of them getting snow while I was there and had 2 awesome days. Really great expert skiing.

nycskier

Crystal is awesome. The skiing there is amazing and the views are absolutely awesome! It's worth the trip to ride up Chair 6 to take in the insane views from what feels like the top of the world before dropping into Powder Bowl. Go to Crystal you will love it!!!!

KustyTheKlown

Go to Crystal, it's quite a ski area. I kept thinking: "Why isn't this place more famous?".

And, get ready, it's steep.

crystal isn't more known/famous because there aint anyplace to stay. was there last week. got one of the only rooms on the mountain. there are 4 tiny hotels and a handful of private homes. everyone else stays in Enumclaw which is like 45 min away. if that place had lodging it would be a major destination.

the snorting elk bar has a captive audience of people staying at the mountain and is one of my favourite après/nightlife spots in all of ski world. its the only gig in town. they do growler fills of some really nice beers.

re: Snoqualmie v Crystal - Crystal is way bigger, but Alpental is totally awesome and adequate for one day, especially if you are cool with exiting the resort and riding the backcountry gates. its also way closer to seattle proper and is down an interstate. bonus = you can stop at "twin peaks" for coffee and pie and a shot of the falls.