• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton 1/18/17

sankaty

Date(s) Skied: 1/18/17

Resort or Ski Area: Stratton

Conditions: Groomed packed powder/variable

Trip Report:

Skied Stratton today. Not a memorable day, but conditions were pretty good considering the recent thaw. Snow was on the firm side on anything with pitch, but serviceable on the groomed snowmaking trails. Low-angle trails were genuinely soft in most places. Definitely a day for practicing firm-snow carving on my stiff frontside skis, which is not my favorite type of skiing, but fun for a change of pace.

Woods are completely out of play and will be for a while. The few ungroomed trails had some soft snow from yesterday, but the moonscape left over from last weekend's thaw/freeze was just beneath the surface or poking through, making it a bit treacherous.

Best (but not great) ungroomed trail was Standard to skier's left of the gondola. Spruce was my favorite groomed trail. They had the guns going on Liftline, but it was closed. It should be good when they open it.

First day in 14 years with new boots. They felt pretty good, so that's a win. I'll be in the Okemo/Killington area this weekend.

Glenn

Thanks for the update! Hope to get out this weekend. Helps to know how things will be. Looks like the snow guns are going again today up there based on the webcams.

SkiRay

Was hoping for more snow

Thanks for the update! Hope to get out this weekend. Helps to know how things will be. Looks like the snow guns are going again today up there based on the webcams.

The Catskills reported 8 and was hoping that we could make the trip to Stratton this weekend - guess we still can, though it looks like it is all going to be frontside and now woods for a while.

Handlebars

I was there 1/17, conditions were as good as I could have asked for given the rain. Will be going back for more Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

skimagic

I was at the Strat today. A bit breezy, sun never really popped out. Good sized crowd.
Steeper pitches
Have 1-2 inches of packed snow, crushed ice on boiler plate. Lower pitches much better, soft cruising. Ski patrol will be busy this weekend if it doesn't soften.

sankaty

I was there 1/17, conditions were as good as I could have asked for given the rain. Will be going back for more Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

On Thursday I skied with friends that had skied during the storm the day before, as you had. They also had great things to say. I regret a bit not going up a day earlier, but Thursday was fun, too.

Glenn

Good updates everyone. Will stick to the lower pitch stuff when we get up there.