• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ikon replaces MAX in 18/19

Zermatt

Ahhh OK...so the mountain that has survived being in the shadow of Killington for 50+ years will shut down for good because of an "educated guess".

I think you're just late to the Pico Party seeing that the place is dead and you can get some great skiing in.

I have a season pass at Pico.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Corrected;

If you don't travel much it is a let down for NY skiers.

Sorry, I just can't get too busted up about losing Okemo, Sunapee, and Wachusett. I always bought my max pass for; day trips to Loon, weekends at Sunday River, and vacations/long weekends at Sugarloaf. And Killington. The 2 sugars (loaf & bush) are my favorite mtns in the northeast. Max pass gave me one of my favorites plus the other mtns. Other than that, if I did or didn't get to O/S/W - NBD. If I am going to make the 1 hr drive to WaWa, I'd go to Crotched instead for the extra 15 min drive. I've just never been a fan of WaWa.

So you used it as a Boyne pass (which they still sell, yes?) with Killington. I don't know how that's cost effective (unless you went west). Why not just the Boyne pass, which I'm assuming is cheaper than Max.

Whitey

So you used it as a Boyne pass (which they still sell, yes?) with Killington. I don't know how that's cost effective (unless you went west). Why not just the Boyne pass, which I'm assuming is cheaper than Max.

Boyne pass is way more expensive than max (currently $1350 for gold pass). Last year I got 18 days total at Loon/SR/'loaf. That's not bad for $600. Plus the other mtns. If I had just stopped there with the Boyne mtns (I didn't) that would have made my per day cost $33.

See my Steamboat/WP/Copper TR from last yr - all MP mtns. And see my TR for Big Sky that will post sometime in late Feb after I complete that trip (also a MP mtn). And my TR for Solitude and Brighton when I post that in early April.

boston_e

Pico is not included per the Killington Facebook page. However they also clarified that their "Beast Pass" will continue to be valid at Pico.

Zermatt

Pico is not included per the Killington Facebook page. However they also clarified that their "Beast Pass" will continue to be valid at Pico.

That makes no sense to me. Killington should be bending over backwards to get people off Killington slopes and onto Pico.

I'm really skeptical they are going to build something better than the MAX Pass and/or comparable to the Epic Pass. So many questions.

machski

That makes no sense to me. Killington should be bending over backwards to get people off Killington slopes and onto Pico.

I'm really skeptical they are going to build something better than the MAX Pass and/or comparable to the Epic Pass. So many questions.
Not sure what Powdr is doing on the Ikon. Pico may well be off it, I noticed they did not include Mount Bachelor either. Interesting mix none the less, Mammoth usually has a longer season than Bachelor so great replacement there if this is the case.

Also, I read it as there will be a fully unlimited pass available. Who knows how much and whether it will be offered for a limited time/quantities.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

I guess I'll wait to complain until we see the rest of the details... number of days to each place and price will be important of course.

PS - I just noticed in Canada:
CMH HELI-SKIING & SUMMER ADVENTURES
Interesting!

gladerider

would only be worth on a year when i have a trip planned for the west for me.
i bought it this year for the ny + vt mountains.

sankaty

For our situation, lodging between Okemo and Killington with a trip out west, this is a total disaster with both Okemo and Pico dropped from the pass. We have the Pico Pass with the MAX add on this year, which is a great value. Seems like our lift ticket prices could easily double (or more) if we want similar access next year, which is prohibitively expensive for us. Such a bummer.

Boxtop Willie

As a Marketing/Competitive Strategy guy by profession, I can't wait to see the response by Mountain Collective. From a Sugarbush perspective, can't wait to see how it may affect me.
This business is getting very fun to watch.

Zand

As a Wachusett passholder the Max Pass was like finding a gold mine this year. Too bad it only lasted for 1 year. Back to the drawing board this spring I guess. Interested to see what comes along.

Zermatt

I guess I'll wait to complain until we see the rest of the details... number of days to each place and price will be important of course.

PS - I just noticed in Canada:
CMH HELI-SKIING & SUMMER ADVENTURES
Interesting!

I think it is only early access to booking.... What a perk!