• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ikon replaces MAX in 18/19

skiur

I have a season pass at Pico.

Killington is not closeing Pico, they are still working on the village plans and the interconnect is part of that, yes they have been working on it for 15 years but they are getting closer to actually starting phase 1.

machski

Unfortunately, all these combo passes that have been great for the skier may not have been as beneficial financially to the resorts on them. Remember, Boyne and Powdr started the Max Pass. They are the key players along with Alterra now on the Ikon. I have no idea why Pico and Bachelor were left off from Powdr's group, but they must have a reason, and I'm betting it comes down to better revenue returns. Ultimately, whether this pass is great or a bust will come down pricing and pass levels. We should table this debate til later next month when that comes out.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Alterra is shooting for higher end stuff, so it makes sense that they wouldn't want some mountains on it. Pico fits there. Not sure about Bachelor though. It isn't as much of a destination resort with slopeside facilities, but it isn't like people don't vacation there.

gregnye

Killington is not closeing Pico, they are still working on the village plans and the interconnect is part of that, yes they have been working on it for 15 years but they are getting closer to actually starting phase 1.

I'll believe it only when I see it. While they probably won't close Pico, I doubt they are actually going to do the interconnect. I mean while Killington does snow making well there's so much decaying lift infrastructure there. Like for example the K1 gondola is starting to show it's age. Most of the cabins are out of service when I'v visited. The cabin doors constantly open even in the slightest wind. I mean they can't even replace the south ridge triple chair or the snowdon quad, why would they have money to expand?

boston_e

Alterra is shooting for higher end stuff, so it makes sense that they wouldn't want some mountains on it. Pico fits there. Not sure about Bachelor though. It isn't as much of a destination resort with slopeside facilities, but it isn't like people don't vacation there.

I'm withholding judgement until I see the final product / price etc.

I think the only people really bothered by the lack of Pico on the pass are those of use who call Killington / Pico our "home area". It seems we may be having to choose between a pass that is valid at Killington / Pico or this IKON pass which is Killington and these other mountains.

Not an easy choice for those of us who spend most of our weekends in the Killington / Pico area but take a couple of trips to other areas each year.

boston_e

I'll believe it only when I see it. While they probably won't close Pico, I doubt they are actually going to do the interconnect. I mean while Killington does snow making well there's so much decaying lift infrastructure there. Like for example the K1 gondola is starting to show it's age. Most of the cabins are out of service when I'v visited. The cabin doors constantly open even in the slightest wind. I mean they can't even replace the south ridge triple chair or the snowdon quad, why would they have money to expand?

Personally I hope they never do the interconnect... so that would be fine for me.

Evidently the South Ridge lift is on deck for this summer...

mbedle

Personally I hope they never do the interconnect... so that would be fine for me.

Evidently the South Ridge lift is on deck for this summer...

In 2016, they submitted a request to extend the permit date to complete the interconnect buildout until 2021. The reason stated was the money to install the 4 new lifts and add the terrain between the two resorts is coming from the village real estate sales.

mbedle

I am going to venture to guess that the Ikon Pass is going to be like the Epic Pass for the Alterra destination resorts, with discounts at the partner destination resorts. Given that the Max Pass was Intrawest, it kind of makes sense for them to discontinue it.

Zermatt

I am going to venture to guess that the Ikon Pass is going to be like the Epic Pass for the Alterra destination resorts, with discounts at the partner destination resorts. Given that the Max Pass was Intrawest, it kind of makes sense for them to discontinue it.

I don't think they can beat the price of the Epic Pass though

gnardawg

Man I remember when the SRT was there and just lapping the Jug and Breakaway all afternoon....

medfordmike

I'm withholding judgement until I see the final product / price etc.

I think the only people really bothered by the lack of Pico on the pass are those of use who call Killington / Pico our "home area". It seems we may be having to choose between a pass that is valid at Killington / Pico or this IKON pass which is Killington and these other mountains.

Not an easy choice for those of us who spend most of our weekends in the Killington / Pico area but take a couple of trips to other areas each year.

My spouse and I are in the Pico home mountain boat too. I agree with the view that the Ikon pass has better destination resorts. So for folks who do a week or two out west it has really nice options. For those who do most or nearly all of their skiing on day or overnight car trips this is a let down. My weekend place is between Dartmouth and Sunapee so having options in addition to Pico (plus five days at Killington has been really nice this season) with the add on. For weekends or midweek having places like Wachusett and Loon while not favorites on this site has been great since I rather go there than sit home. I think the Wachusett folks are probably in the same boat as the Pico homers. A lot of local options with an add on are gone.

The Pico pass used to have 3 days at Sunapee no restrictions pre Max maybe that will return or something will take the place of the Max Pass for the mountains not included.

Last edited:

sankaty

The Pico pass used to have 3 days at Sunapee no restrictions pre Max maybe that will return or something will take the place of the Max Pass for the mountains not included.

I hadn't thought of that. It would be great if Killington/Pico eased some of the pain caused by the MAX Pass add-on disappearing by adding some reciprocal days at Killington/Okemo/Sunapee for Pico pass holders. I can imagine a universe where a Pico Pass plus a Mountain Colletive pass (or a cheap Ikon pass with limited days) could approximate the value of the Pico Pass with MAX add-on. I guess it's too soon to freak out about this with so many details still to be worked out.

I wonder if there is any chance that the Okemo/Sunapee/CB group will join the Mountain Collective.

JimG.

Staff member
Guess I'll be back with the Peaks pass next season. Losing all of the eastern mountains is a major blow for me since I have no serious interest in western offerings.

boston_e

Guess I'll be back with the Peaks pass next season. Losing all of the eastern mountains is a major blow for me since I have no serious interest in western offerings.

Except some of these might be unlimited access... so you could actually gain days.

as mentioned before, I’m withholding judgement until I see details.

mbedle

The fact that they are calling it a "season pass" leads me to believe that it will be for the Alterra resorts. What you get at the partner resorts will be seen.

boston_e

It is unlimited for sure for at least some resorts. Which ones, remains to be seen. Killington posted on their facebook page:

"Ikon Pass pass privileges will range from full unlimited access to a set number of days that will vary by destination. More details to be released in the coming weeks"

p_levert

It is unlimited for sure for at least some resorts. Which ones, remains to be seen. Killington posted on their facebook page:

"Ikon Pass pass privileges will range from full unlimited access to a set number of days that will vary by destination. More details to be released in the coming weeks"

I predict it will be unlimited for Copper, Winter Park and Eldora. They need to grab the large number of Rocky Mountain Super Pass holders. After that, I don't expect much unlimited. I certainly don't expect it for Killington or Stratton.