• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ikon replaces MAX in 18/19

machski

I predict it will be unlimited for Copper, Winter Park and Eldora. They need to grab the large number of Rocky Mountain Super Pass holders. After that, I don't expect much unlimited. I certainly don't expect it for Killington or Stratton.
You are all reading the release wrong. There will be a totally unlimited pass and then multiple levels below, some offering a limited set of areas unlimited with day limits at others all the way to limited number of days at each. But they have absolutely said on many media channels that there will be an all inclusive, totally unlimited pass a la Epic.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

You are all reading the release wrong. There will be a totally unlimited pass and then multiple levels below, some offering a limited set of areas unlimited with day limits at others all the way to limited number of days at each. But they have absolutely said on many media channels that there will be an all inclusive, totally unlimited pass a la Epic.

This, though cost will be way different. I'm betting the unlimited will be a little over $2,000 (my guess is $2,300) and then options dropping down to MAX pass levels.

Definitely looking forward to the options, should be kind of cool.

FBGM

Hoping this gives the fail pass a run for the monies. Jersey Jerry nation needs to spread out, to some goods, which sucks. But fail sucks more so it's 6's.

Zermatt

The best way to get them to release all the details is to spread bad details on the internet.

Honestly, I need to know within the next month as it will determine if I go to Europe again or to western resorts. The death of the MAX pass really put a wrench in my plans for next season.

Jully

The best way to get them to release all the details is to spread bad details on the internet.

Honestly, I need to know within the next month as it will determine if I go to Europe again or to western resorts. The death of the MAX pass really put a wrench in my plans for next season.

You'd be booking a Europe trip for next year in February?

We should get pricing details by mid to late February. March at the latest.

Zermatt

You'd be booking a Europe trip for next year in February?

We should get pricing details by mid to late February. March at the latest.

People roll over their apartments for next year right after they leave. For flights I find airfares to Europe are cheapest when they are first available 11 months out.

Knowing the details about Ikon by early March would be nice.

jaytrem

People roll over their apartments for next year right after they leave. For flights I find airfares to Europe are cheapest when they are first available 11 months out.

Knowing the details about Ikon by early March would be nice.

Smart, the early bird often gets the worm. I've booked a number of mileage flights about a year in advance. Often the first day they become available. Sometimes there are only 4-8 12,500 mile seats available, so if you don't grab them early you're out of luck. A few times I'had friend have to pay double miles or cash because they couldn't commit super early. Always book the cars early too, even if I'm not sure I'm going, can always cancel if necessary and re-book if the price drops.

I know I've said this before, but working the credit card companies for miles/points can be very lucrative. Can't recommend it enough. I think it's been about 15 years since I've actually paid to fly. Get a new card every 6 months and it won't mess up your credit score. My wife and I rotate, so every 3 months we get some kind of sign up bonus. Anybody else been doing this?

gnardawg

Ok Folks it's now been a week since this bombshell has been dropped and a massive marketing campaign was launched. Lot's of hype but no substance. Where are the details - LFG here Ikon Pass.

Zermatt

Ok Folks it's now been a week since this bombshell has been dropped and a massive marketing campaign was launched. Lot's of hype but no substance. Where are the details - LFG here Ikon Pass.

Exactly, antagonism level 8 now beginning.

My prediction. Full unlimited Ikon Pass is in excess of $2,000.

Next level down is 5 days per resort at $800 with blackout dates.

Pico will not open or will be fully absorbed into Killington under the same ticket, which explains why it was not included in the original release. Or....it is being sold and will re open with new management.

Jcb890

Pico will not open or will be fully absorbed into Killington under the same ticket, which explains why it was not included in the original release. Or....it is being sold and will re open with new management.
Raising the price by $171 and keeping a 5-day limit would suck with the loss of some of the New England/Eastern options. I hope you're not correct.

Higgl

The Ikon people were up front in saying that it will be a few weeks before full pricing details are released. I'm thinking pricing details will be released around President's Day to make that the buzz again around that big ski weekend. Any announcement before that weekend would shock me.

I agree that the unlimited version will be > $2000. Speculation on other forums has been that there will be a variety of options by region (though there may also be a 5 day for everyone 'sampler' pass. The notion that Killington is closing Pico is laughable though. They've been fully transparent on social media that Pico will be included in the K specific pass and have given no hint of closing it. With the village on the 5 year horizon (though it has been there for the last 15 years...), closing Pico would be ludicrous.

An interesting caveat though - assuming next year tickets at K are also valid at Pico, if you redeem an Ikon pass for a day ticket (like you do with the Max), will K develop a specific ticket that won't work at Pico? I doubt it personally. All Pico not being on the Ikon really does is prevent the unlimited passholders from skiing there (assuming it is DTL) and it prevents you from getting x# of pico days AND x# of K days. It is just combined.

Raising the price by $171 and keeping a 5-day limit would suck with the loss of some of the New England/Eastern options. I hope you're not correct.

If that is at all how the Ikon plays out, I will not be participating unfortunately. $800 for the eastern lineup is absurd and there are cheaper western option passes to, as I only plan on taking 1-2 western trips. IMO, $800 for 5 days each is a pretty shitty value for the eastern skier, unless they ski out west as much as they ski back east.

I'm hopeful for either better pricing or an Ikon add on option roughly equivalent to the Max add on price.

Jcb890

The Ikon people were up front in saying that it will be a few weeks before full pricing details are released. I'm thinking pricing details will be released around President's Day to make that the buzz again around that big ski weekend. Any announcement before that weekend would shock me.

I agree that the unlimited version will be > $2000. Speculation on other forums has been that there will be a variety of options by region (though there may also be a 5 day for everyone 'sampler' pass. The notion that Killington is closing Pico is laughable though. They've been fully transparent on social media that Pico will be included in the K specific pass and have given no hint of closing it. With the village on the 5 year horizon (though it has been there for the last 15 years...), closing Pico would be ludicrous.

An interesting caveat though - assuming next year tickets at K are also valid at Pico, if you redeem an Ikon pass for a day ticket (like you do with the Max), will K develop a specific ticket that won't work at Pico? I doubt it personally. All Pico not being on the Ikon really does is prevent the unlimited passholders from skiing there (assuming it is DTL) and it prevents you from getting x# of pico days AND x# of K days. It is just combined.

If that is at all how the Ikon plays out, I will not be participating unfortunately. $800 for the eastern lineup is absurd and there are cheaper western option passes to, as I only plan on taking 1-2 western trips. IMO, $800 for 5 days each is a pretty shitty value for the eastern skier, unless they ski out west as much as they ski back east.

I'm hopeful for either better pricing or an Ikon add on option roughly equivalent to the Max add on price.
The Killington / Pico strategy seems like an odd one also...
Who is going to pick Pico over Killington if they both count as the same 1 of 5 (if the limit stays the same)? 99% of people will pick Killington over Pico and Pico will see no crowds. Whereas now there's the option for 5 at each so plenty of people will go to Pico.

Agreed, if it is $800 and 5 days each, I'll be passing as well.

Higgl

The Killington / Pico strategy seems like an odd one also...
Who is going to pick Pico over Killington if they both count as the same 1 of 5 (if the limit stays the same)? 99% of people will pick Killington over Pico and Pico will see no crowds. Whereas now there's the option for 5 at each so plenty of people will go to Pico.

Agreed, if it is $800 and 5 days each, I'll be passing as well.

Oh definitely folks will VERY rarely if not never utilize the Pico option. Especially as it won't even be advertised. I was just pointing out that it is possible.

A shame either way. I haven't yet used Pico on my Max and likely won't this season. I suppose I'm not alone and maybe that is why K opted to not put Pico on the Ikon. More likely though, is that Alterra said thanks, but no thanks, when Powdr offered Pico. I don't think they are looking for relatively 'no-name' resorts. They want mountains that stand out in their respective markets. I'd say 1/3 of the skiers any day at K don't know what Pico is, never mind skiers that don't even ski at K or in VT!

Jcb890

Oh definitely folks will VERY rarely if not never utilize the Pico option. Especially as it won't even be advertised. I was just pointing out that it is possible.

A shame either way. I haven't yet used Pico on my Max and likely won't this season. I suppose I'm not alone and maybe that is why K opted to not put Pico on the Ikon. More likely though, is that Alterra said thanks, but no thanks, when Powdr offered Pico. I don't think they are looking for relatively 'no-name' resorts. They want mountains that stand out in their respective markets. I'd say 1/3 of the skiers any day at K don't know what Pico is, never mind skiers that don't even ski at K or in VT!
Personally, I've never been to Pico. Didn't use any of my MAX Passes there last year and probably won't this year either. I treat Okemo the same way though, I'd rather drive the extra 20-30 mins to Killington than go to Okemo.

It would be cool if Ikon's price was similar to MAX, had an unlimited option or had an option to "trade" from 1 mountain to another, effectively allowing more than 5 tickets to each mountain.

But, we'll have to wait and see I guess. Man, I hate waiting.

Killingtime

That's the most reasonable explanation I've heard so far. Most likely Alterra passed on it. As a Killington pass holder I've been to Pico just a few times in the last 10 years, even though its a fun mountain with some cool trails.

Zermatt

That's the most reasonable explanation I've heard so far. Most likely Alterra passed on it. As a Killington pass holder I've been to Pico just a few times in the last 10 years, even though its a fun mountain with some cool trails.

Assuming both mountains are 100% open with 10” fresh snow I’d pick Pico every time over Killington.

I agree it got dropped because it’s not an “icon” theory though.

Smellytele

If Pico was taken care of like K I would go to Pico. I like the place more but they don't take care of it (less snow making). I only go to K when it is the only option or one of a handfull (early/late season). Hate the crowds (lifts, lodges, parking and trails) and vibe mid season.

Jully

It would be cool if Ikon's price was similar to MAX, had an unlimited option or had an option to "trade" from 1 mountain to another, effectively allowing more than 5 tickets to each mountain.

But, we'll have to wait and see I guess. Man, I hate waiting.

Waiting absolutely stinks! Trading or selecting different mountains even would be great. Scuttlebutt on Pugski is that there will be a great deal of customization, but I'm not convinced it'll go that far, or it'll cost a bunch.

boston_e

Assuming both mountains are 100% open with 10” fresh snow I’d pick Pico every time over Killington.

I agree it got dropped because it’s not an “icon” theory though.

I agree with this even without the 10” of snow. In a generally good snow year I’ll take Pico over Killington every time.

Pico does lack the same type of snowmaking capacity so in a lean year Killington obviously has an advantage.

It is very curious that Pico is not included. Perhaps the Ikon pricing will be such that Powdr was worried that Ikon pass sales could hurt Beast pass sales, so they held back Pico in hopes of not bastardizeing the sales of Pico and Beast passes.

xlr8r

Pico is not the place to go when the only trails open are man-made groomed. On those days Killington is the better option. But if both mountains are at or near 100% open with recent fresh snow, Pico beats Killington hands down. I don't get to Pico that often because I wait to go there until it is in peak conditions. Not having Pico on Icon is a huge bummer and is a major factor in me probably purchasing the pas. Even though I have twice as many days lifetime at Killington vs Pico, I prefer going to Pico.