• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ikon replaces MAX in 18/19

boston_e

For those stuck on Pico lockout of Ikon, Mt. Bachelor is bigger, in a region all by itself and was left off. So by that measure, Pico not on it is no big deal with K and Stratton within short distance of each.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

For those of us who base ourselves out of the Killington / Pico area it could be a big deal as it seems we may be forced into choosing between a Killington / Pico pass (the killington pass is always valid at both) or a Killington / all these other
mountains pass. Obviously that opinion may change once final Ikon details are released.

As to Stratton, it is a solid hour+ from Killington. I doubt that most weekend people would want to schlep to Stratton on Saturday morning after just arriving in Killington on Friday night. So in that regard Okemo / Pico would be much more appealing.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
For those of us who base ourselves out of the Killington / Pico area it could be a big deal as it seems we may be forced into choosing between a Killington / Pico pass (the killington pass is always valid at both) or a Killington / all these other
mountains pass. Obviously that opinion may change once final Ikon details are released.

It took 102 post but someone figured out why Pico may not be included...

Max Pass people are everywhere at K (me too, not trying to trash). Because 10 days at Killington and Pico is plenty for a season, unless you have a house up there. Want more? Buy a Spring pass for a measly $200. No one knows how revenue from the Max Pass gets to the hills, but it's not as much as Killington would get from one of their own pass products.

Essentially, between Max Pass and Killington Spring pass you could get 20+ days at Killington and Pico and they'd get $200+ whatever small amount they get from the Max Pass. So next year when it's a limited number of Killington days (presumably) on Ikon people like myself will be roped into buying a Killington/Pico pass for $700...$800...$900...whatever, instead of the Max Pass/Spring pass combo. That's a lot more $$$ going to Killington.

And the amount of speculation in this thread is nauseating. And wrong (imo). I don't know where people get the $2,000 figure from but that's not gonna compete with an Epic Pass which is less than half the cost. No way this pass sells for more than $1,000. They couldn't compete otherwise.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would fault Powdr for not negotiating Pico into the deal on at least a five day basis.

Who is "driving" the deal with the Ikon pass anyways? Who was driving the deal with Maxx? Intrawest?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

urungus

It took 102 post but someone figured out why Pico may not be included...

Max Pass people are everywhere at K (me too, not trying to trash). Because 10 days at Killington and Pico is plenty for a season, unless you have a house up there. Want more? Buy a Spring pass for a measly $200. No one knows how revenue from the Max Pass gets to the hills, but it's not as much as Killington would get from one of their own pass products.

Essentially, between Max Pass and Killington Spring pass you could get 20+ days at Killington and Pico and they'd get $200+ whatever small amount they get from the Max Pass. So next year when it's a limited number of Killington days (presumably) on Ikon people like myself will be roped into buying a Killington/Pico pass for $700...$800...$900...whatever, instead of the Max Pass/Spring pass combo. That's a lot more $$$ going to Killington.

Or maybe people will decide the extra expense is not worth it next year and will ski somewhere else, then Killington/Pico will not only lose out on the money for the passes, but also the money spent in the lodges.

Higgl

I would fault Powdr for not negotiating Pico into the deal on at least a five day basis.

Who is "driving" the deal with the Ikon pass anyways? Who was driving the deal with Maxx? Intrawest?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

My guess (which comes from following the "industry insider" people on Pugski who claim to have friends associated with the Alterra situation) is that Alterra is driving the deal.

They supposedly reached out to a whole slew of Mountain Collective and MAX mountains and only got two "no" answers. I highly doubt one of those two nos was for Pico LOL.

So I'd agree with you, Powdr failed to get Pico on the pass. Alterra is being selective with who they put on this thing.

xlr8r

I think Max was more balanced between Intrawest, Boyne and Powdr. All of Powdr and Boyne's areas were on the Max anyway. Ikon has left some big Powdr off and Boyne doesn't have everything they run as well.

Max was balanced between what areas you could go to and for how many days, but it was created by Intrawest and run out of Intrawest's offices.

boston_e

My guess (which comes from following the "industry insider" people on Pugski who claim to have friends associated with the Alterra situation) is that Alterra is driving the deal.

They supposedly reached out to a whole slew of Mountain Collective and MAX mountains and only got two "no" answers. I highly doubt one of those two nos was for Pico LOL.

So I'd agree with you, Powdr failed to get Pico on the pass. Alterra is being selective with who they put on this thing.

agreeing with SS20’s post above, i suspect powder did not want Pico in there.... powder would not want to lose Killington/Pico pass sales to the locals.

gnardawg

no one is pimping season pass yet though either. Unlike Ikon which blitzed the world with ads/hype.

xlr8r

I would expect Ikon pass prices to be released post presidents week/early March. That seems to be the time most passes get released in recent years

Jcb890

I think people were just opining that it was annoying Ikon came out and made a big announcement, but followed up with no details other than a list of mountains and a note that the MAX Pass was going bye-bye.

KustyTheKlown

yea, its just shitty of them. "hey we're taking away a product that you loved and replacing it with something that sounds a lot worse and fuck you we aren't giving you any details"

Jcb890

yea, its just shitty of them. "hey we're taking away a product that you loved and replacing it with something that sounds a lot worse and fuck you we aren't giving you any details"

But we all are talking about it, which I imagine is what they wanted. Hell, other than the high end all inclusive, they might not even have all the details nailed down anyway.
For reasons KTK just mentioned, of course we're all talking about it. We're talking about it because many of us on here were happy customers of the MAX Pass and are concerned we might be getting a worse product to replace it.

AdironRider

But we all are talking about it, which I imagine is what they wanted. Hell, other than the high end all inclusive, they might not even have all the details nailed down anyway.

They don't have all the details locked down, the mountains are still working out who gets paid what for each skier day.

That being said, saying the Ikon pass is worse than the Max pass is pure hyperbole. Only on AZ do people bitch about getting access to Aspen, JHole and other premier mountains.