• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ikon replaces MAX in 18/19

KustyTheKlown

I had plenty of access to premier mountains on max pass, at $600, with 20 places within 6 hours of drive of my apt

gnardawg

Agreed - I have 2 year old - I don't have time to take advantage of the premier mountains out west. At least the Max Pass gave my season some variety locally. Losing Sunapee/Okemo/Wachuessett/Pico is huge for me.

I had plenty of access to premier mountains on max pass, at $600, with 20 places within 6 hours of drive of my apt

WJenness

Agreed - I have 2 year old - I don't have time to take advantage of the premier mountains out west. At least the Max Pass gave my season some variety locally. Losing Sunapee/Okemo/Wachuessett/Pico is huge for me.

Same. (Except for the two year old part)

This is my second year on the Max.

I've gotten (and will most likely get) zero days West of VT.

My wife does not ski, it's mostly day trips for me. At this point, I do one or two nights away from home over the course of the entire season.

Taking off my night skiing option (WaWa), one of my easy day trip options (Sunapee), one of my crowd avoidance options (Pico), and one of my good early season options (Okemo) sucks a lot of value out of the pass for me.

Really not sure what I'm going to do next year at this point.

-w

cdskier

That being said, saying the Ikon pass is worse than the Max pass is pure hyperbole. Only on AZ do people bitch about getting access to Aspen, JHole and other premier mountains.

What good is getting access to places you don't plan to visit in exchange for losing areas that you did visit? I can agree that Ikon is not worse for everyone and some people could benefit from it (depending on pricing), but to say this new pass is not worse for at least some eastern skiers is not very realistic. Also, this is an eastern-focused forum after all. So from an eastern perspective I think many of the concerns raised are valid.

Jcb890

What good is getting access to places you don't plan to visit in exchange for losing areas that you did visit? I can agree that Ikon is not worse for everyone and some people could benefit from it (depending on pricing), but to say this new pass is not worse for at least some eastern skiers is not very realistic. Also, this is an eastern-focused forum after all. So from an eastern perspective I think many of the concerns raised are valid.
That, and how about if the price of the pass comes in high and only gives something like 2 days at Jackson Hole or Aspen? What good does that do? But we're supposed to just blindly be happy that Jackson Hole is on the list... give me a break.

machski

For reasons KTK just mentioned, of course we're all talking about it. We're talking about it because many of us on here were happy customers of the MAX Pass and are concerned we might be getting a worse product to replace it.
And before Max what did you have? You all are acting like Max was a God given right. These multi-resort passes will morph and change several more times in the future. The only one slightly stable is Epic, but I expect it's cost to the skier will continue to increase. Deal with it and move on.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

AdironRider

That, and how about if the price of the pass comes in high and only gives something like 2 days at Jackson Hole or Aspen? What good does that do? But we're supposed to just blindly be happy that Jackson Hole is on the list... give me a break.

You are getting worked up over a hypothetical situation.

Jcb890

And before Max what did you have? You all are acting like Max was a God given right. These multi-resort passes will morph and change several more times in the future. The only one slightly stable is Epic, but I expect it's cost to the skier will continue to increase. Deal with it and move on.

Nobody is acting like that, nor are they opining saying anyone deserves anything. We're just a little antsy that a pass option might be turned to crap next season. We all know things are changing and they are going to continue to do so.

Last I checked, this was a forum to discuss these kind of things and this is a thread to discuss exactly that. This would be a pretty boring website/forum if it was just threads to post news and trail reports, don't you think?

Jcb890

You are getting worked up over a hypothetical situation.
I'm not worked up. I've said it more than once - I'll wait to get aggravated/annoyed/pissed/whatever until details are released.
I will agree that I am annoyed there's no details yet though.

FBGM

Lol's at the peeps complaining they can't ski Wachusett. Did you also complain when Ford stopped making the Pinto? Or when snowblades got out of fad.

Global climate change warming will have that east coast mole hill gone within the next 10 years anyway

AdironRider

I can see customer service person fielding calls "You dropped Wawa for Jackson and Aspen! This is a travesty!" and just hanging up.

speden

Lol's at the peeps complaining they can't ski Wachusett. Did you also complain when Ford stopped making the Pinto? Or when snowblades got out of fad.

Global climate change warming will have that east coast mole hill gone within the next 10 years anyway

I doubt it. They just beefed up the pump capacity and will lay down a six foot base if they have to. That place is a cash cow.

KustyTheKlown

before max i had a mountain collective one year, and it didnt cover anything in the east and i had to spend lots of extra money on lift tix

after mountain collective i had an epic pass for one year, and it didnt cover anything in the east but i skied out west for 20 days on it

now that stowe is on the epic pass, and pending ikon's pricing and structure, i may be switching to an epic pass next year and looking for a seasonal share in stowe. and that bites. variety is everything to me, and is so important for conditions and fun in the east. two of my best ski buds are already pushing so hard for us to get epic passes. i also have mileage issues with my leased car which has one more year on it. going to and from stowe every weekend will end up costing me $$$. cant wait to own a car instead after the lease ends.

boston_e

before max i had a mountain collective one year, and it didnt cover anything in the east and i had to spend lots of extra money on lift tix

after mountain collective i had an epic pass for one year, and it didnt cover anything in the east but i skied out west for 20 days on it

now that stowe is on the epic pass, and pending ikon's pricing and structure, i may be switching to an epic pass next year and looking for a seasonal share in stowe. and that bites. variety is everything to me, and is so important for conditions and fun in the east. two of my best ski buds are already pushing so hard for us to get epic passes. i also have mileage issues with my leased car which has one more year on it. going to and from stowe every weekend will end up costing me $$$. cant wait to own a car instead after the lease ends.

Depending on pricing and format, Ikon could be much better for the New England scene than Epic. I'd take unlimited at Killington, SR, Sugarloaf over unlimited at Stow any day. It does stink to lose Sunapee, Okemo, Wawa etc for those who want to do day trips though.

Oz Von Toco

I was quite happy with the max pass the last 2 winters

This is only my 4th season riding so I have yet to be out west. Mostly for money reasons, losing the ability to hop in my car and have a ton of options kinda stinks.

I'll probably do the peak pass with hunter, snow, jfbb for $400 since I'm 26 and the good price is only until your 29. Few of my friends got that pass and they're very happy with it. Having Jackson hole is only great if you can afford to get over there..

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Smellytele

My wife already has asked what my plans for season passes are for next year. I told her I had to wait to weigh my options. She wanted calculations of what it cost per visit and is it worth it for her to get one or just me and pay as she goes. I am down to 22 a visit on my pass but she is at around 100 but she will ski a few more times.

Zermatt

Increasing antagonism has prompted Ikon to say sometime in February we will know.

Right now they are busy wasting their time with POW and unicorn farts, but hopefully we know in the next 2 weeks.

Scruffy

Increasing antagonism has prompted Ikon to say sometime in February we will know.

Right now they are busy wasting their time with POW and unicorn farts, but hopefully we know in the next 2 weeks.

They should feel the heat, they threw a bomb onto the playing field without any clarity. Typical FUD. We, the paying public, need certainty on how we spend our $$s and some make plans a year out for such things as expensive passes.

abc

They should feel the heat, they threw a bomb onto the playing field without any clarity. Typical FUD. We, the paying public, need certainty on how we spend our $$s and some make plans a year out for such things as expensive passes.
First, they don't care so much to attract the business of people who only want to spend $$. They're more interested in people who spend $$$$!

Complaining about the lack of clarity in February is like complaining about not knowing what's on sales on Black Friday, in October! :smash::smash::smash: