• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mountain Creek Snowmaking Observations

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
So I went to Mountain Creek for the first time last Friday. Snow was OK, crowds were OK, I was actually pretty impressed with the length/variety of runs on the South Peak and Bear Peak.

Anyway, I was absolutely blown away by the amount of snow on the trails and the snowmaking infrastructure. Seriously, nearly every trail had 5ft+ of base depth....after a warm week with rain on Tuesday. It was stunning. The snowmaking pipes on trails have to be close to double the diameter of your typical snowmaking pipes- they're huge. There's quite a variety of snowguns. There's a few modern fans and some older fans. All of the "traditional" air/water gun infrastructure was old (by appearance at least). I'd imagine they're inefficient (by today's standards) and have to get a lot of air to make snow in the NJ weather. Certainly no new shiny HKD's or Snowlogic's that pride themselves on the lack of CFM needed to make snow.

Anyone have any figures on this beast of a snowmaking system? The amount of air and water that they produce has to be on-par with the big resorts further north.

cdskier

I recall at one time many years ago they claimed to have one of the largest or most powerful systems out there. They had jet engines powering the system supposedly. No idea where they stand now.