• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow..coming ???

kingslug

Guess I'l replace my ##%$^%&*(**&^%$##@ water heater Sunday...can't wait to move..whenever that happens.
And yes this is why places like Alta and Snowbird are better even in marginal years..it don't rain at 10 thousand feet.

BenedictGomez

Guess I'l replace my ##%$^%&*(**&^%$##@ water heater Sunday...can't wait to move..whenever that happens.
And yes this is why places like Alta and Snowbird are better even in marginal years..it don't rain at 10 thousand feet.

Now I'm starting to worry a little bit about Saturday too after these 12z runs.

drjeff

Grab whatever gear one needs to deal with the variability of the Northeast weather and get out there!!! The unfortunate reality is that in less than a month, the "2017-18 closing thread" is likely to start.... Followed by the thread where we hear people complaining that they still have #X vouchers left that they were "saving for a good day" or only skied #Y days because they were waiting for the same "good" days to materialize, but yet they didn't.... That's just Northeast skiing. Either take days off when it's "good" or just get after whatever is out there whenever you can!

It's the Northeast!! The weather window where stuff is "good" is often limited. That doesn't mean that the skiing/riding won't be good. It often just means that they'll be more people complaining about the weather online than are actually out on the hill skiing/riding...

mriceyman

Now I'm starting to worry a little bit about Saturday too after these 12z runs.

Hour 54 of gfs looks like snow on the spine.. short range models have any rain holding off until later in day.. still not tons of rain tho and the next week looks 10000 times better than a couple days ago

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
Helppp...have plans to hit the mountains tomorrow, VT or NH but saw rain..this is NOT GOOD. Any suggestions? It seems like Stowe and northern VT might have a mix. I am willing to drive 5 hours (am on Cape Cod). Sunday is definitely OUT. Rain rain...arggg....

mriceyman

Helppp...have plans to hit the mountains tomorrow, VT or NH but saw rain..this is NOT GOOD. Any suggestions? It seems like Stowe and northern VT might have a mix. I am willing to drive 5 hours (am on Cape Cod). Sunday is definitely OUT. Rain rain...arggg....

There will be no rain on friday

mriceyman

11 am nam
IMG_0892.jpg
2 pm nam
IMG_0893.jpg

BenedictGomez

Hour 54 of gfs looks like snow on the spine.. short range models have any rain holding off until later in day.

It's not what the models are showing "now" that I'm worried about, it's the progression and the forward trend (i.e. it's what they may show tomorrow that I'm worried about).

Fingers crossed, rain, rain, go away.

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
Can someone translate for me or better yet, where can I go to get some snow Saturday. Ever hear of Hangry? Well, I am that for a board sesh. Have had two MARGINAL ones, Okemo and Sunday River. I need a decent sesh. Is a girl asking for two much?

mriceyman

It's not what the models are showing "now" that I'm worried about, it's the progression and the forward trend (i.e. it's what they may show tomorrow that I'm worried about).

Fingers crossed, rain, rain, go away.

Yea i hear ya.. the good trend is that next week doesnt show any lows tracking over the lakes

mriceyman

Can someone translate for me or better yet, where can I go to get some snow Saturday. Ever hear of Hangry? Well, I am that for a board sesh. Have had two MARGINAL ones, Okemo and Sunday River. I need a decent sesh. Is a girl asking for two much?

North

tnt1234

Head north. reports are, Jay and Stowe is killer right now. Would think they will be through sunday.

Sugarbush should be in good shape as well.

mriceyman

Head north. reports are, Jay and Stowe is killer right now. Would think they will be through sunday.

Sugarbush should be in good shape as well.

Temps for Saturday morning look slightly better on gfs at 7 am.. by noon temps are rising into high 30s for svt.. just hope most precip is done by then

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

skiing in a light rain after days of snow doesn't equal ice. skiing monday would maybe suck. sunday will be fine, maybe a little wet.

KustyTheKlown

yea, skiing in the rain bites. but my comment was more to the snow conditions. ice wont happen until after the rain freezes overnight. monday the snow surfaces will suck. sunday will be ok. obviously not ideal.

abc

yea, skiing in the rain bites. but my comment was more to the snow conditions. ice wont happen until after the rain freezes overnight. monday the snow surfaces will suck. sunday will be ok. obviously not ideal.
We don't know for sure. Depends on whether there will be mixed precip during the transition.