• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow..coming ???

KustyTheKlown

GFS is a mess. any snow in NY/MA/soVT today will wash out this weekend. lots of mixing but ultimately a lot of rain and icing. sitting this one out, spending time with friends and girlfriend, doing city things for the first time in months. going to british Columbia next week. hopeful that the east has resurrected by my return on 3/10

rocks860

Ugh I’m getting that winter is running out feeling (especially when it was 70 yesterday) and I feel like I need to get out but it just doesn’t seem worth going anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

Same exact thing same time last year. I can see getting down on things but there is historical basis to have hope for the season!

VTKilarney

Ugh I’m getting that winter is running out feeling (especially when it was 70 yesterday) and I feel like I need to get out but it just doesn’t seem worth going anywhere

I am struggling with the exact same feeling. This season feels different than last season for some reason.

Oz Von Toco

I'm trying to stay optimistic. Windham is stating they may get 5 inches today. Mountain cam shows ground covering up... anyone think it may be sneakily good there tomorrow? Mountain cam at Stratton is showing accumulation as well

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Glenn

Snowing in the southern greens now. Looking like mixed precip up there this weekend with some rain. We'll be out there at some point.

Funky_Catskills

And inch of wet snow here in the Hunter area...
It's about freezing on my thermometer... Will have to sneak out after my meeting today..

JimG.

Staff member
I'm trying to stay optimistic. Windham is stating they may get 5 inches today. Mountain cam shows ground covering up... anyone think it may be sneakily good there tomorrow? Mountain cam at Stratton is showing accumulation as well

Heading to Belleayre tomorrow and Sat...have not skied in a week and a half, the weather screws up my morale. Time to suck it up and get back on the snow.

rocks860

Is anywhere going to be worth going this weekend? I’d really like to get out as this weekend is one of the few free ones for a while

Oz Von Toco

Heading to Belleayre tomorrow and Sat...have not skied in a week and a half, the weather screws up my morale. Time to suck it up and get back on the snow.

Do you think belleayre will have more favorable conditions than windham? As a max pass holder both make sense for me tomorrow. I preferred windham to belleayres green run outs but I've only been to belle once and windham 2x in my life

Smellytele

Is anywhere going to be worth going this weekend? I’d really like to get out as this weekend is one of the few free ones for a while

That is a personal question. I will be skiing Wildcat Sunday and hoping for the better side of the forecasts I am seeing (3-5" on Sunday before it turns).

kingslug

So we closed on our little slice of heaven on tuesday..raining, had a crappy day monday. The broker is like.."are you excited?"..Well..if it was a great weekend I would be a little more stoked. Now we drive 5 hours back in the rain . So I'll be excited when winter returns. And IT WILL DAMN IT!!!...so there.

Jully

I echo Smellytele's thoughts. IMO this weekend will be worth it if you can get enjoyment out of skiing groomers. If you don't ski unless trees or natural runs are in play, then it won't be. Especially at places resurfacing (looks like a good number are), the groomers will be completely fine. Even if a resort doesn't resurface, the groomers will be skiable (and still enjoyable), just a little yellow past noontime.

JimG.

Staff member
Do you think belleayre will have more favorable conditions than windham? As a max pass holder both make sense for me tomorrow. I preferred windham to belleayres green run outs but I've only been to belle once and windham 2x in my life

Hard to say for sure, I know Belle usually makes out better with snow than Hunter, not sure how it compares to Windham. I believe snow totals in the Cats will be very comparable with this system. My main reason for choosing Belle is my season pass there although I could go to Windham on my MAX pass.

Yeah the run outs at Belle suck but you can easily avoid the green stuff by not riding the Gondola. Use the Tomahawk or Superchief lifts. Lift 7 is probably the best mid mountain to summit lift but it is usually reliably open only on weekends.

rocks860

I echo Smellytele's thoughts. IMO this weekend will be worth it if you can get enjoyment out of skiing groomers. If you don't ski unless trees or natural runs are in play, then it won't be. Especially at places resurfacing (looks like a good number are), the groomers will be completely fine. Even if a resort doesn't resurface, the groomers will be skiable (and still enjoyable), just a little yellow past noontime.

When I say worth it I mean essentially worth the drive/money. I’d be driving from CT so basically if say sugarbush had decent conditions I’d consider going as far as there, especially if all of southern vt is toast. I also just had some work done on my boots and want to get out on them to see if it helped. I’d be ok with groomers if they’re not solid ice but at the same time would prefer not to spend 100 bucks to ski groomers

cdskier

Hard to say for sure, I know Belle usually makes out better with snow than Hunter, not sure how it compares to Windham. I believe snow totals in the Cats will be very comparable with this system. My main reason for choosing Belle is my season pass there although I could go to Windham on my MAX pass.

Back when I used to pay more attention to snowfall totals in NY, Windham totals were closer to Hunter's. Belleayre usually had more than both and Platty typically came out on top in the Cats.

Personally I always preferred Belleayre's terrain over Windham...although some of my favorite trails probably aren't in great shape right now.

cdskier

When I say worth it I mean essentially worth the drive/money. I’d be driving from CT so basically if say sugarbush had decent conditions I’d consider going as far as there, especially if all of southern vt is toast. I also just had some work done on my boots and want to get out on them to see if it helped. I’d be ok with groomers if they’re not solid ice but at the same time would prefer not to spend 100 bucks to ski groomers

I'll be at Sugarbush. Do I think it will be worth it? To simply get out on skis, sure (I have a pass so my only cost is gas). Do I think it will be good? Highly doubtful. I'm fully expecting either very variable or firm conditions with pretty much only groomers open. If I had to pay for a day ticket, my answer would be no. Right now Sugarbush basically only has terrain that was groomed last night open. Even the snow-making trails that weren't groomed are closed from what I saw on the trail report...presumably because they are an icy mess and need to be groomed before they can safely be skied.

rocks860

I’d also be willing to venture someplace I’m not familiar with as skiing new groomers may be a nice change of pace haha

rocks860

I'll be at Sugarbush. Do I think it will be worth it? To simply get out on skis, sure (I have a pass so my only cost is gas). Do I think it will be good? Highly doubtful. I'm fully expecting either very variable or firm conditions with pretty much only groomers open. If I had to pay for a day ticket, my answer would be no. Right now Sugarbush basically only has terrain that was groomed last night open. Even the snow-making trails that weren't groomed are closed from what I saw on the trail report...presumably because they are an icy mess and need to be groomed before they can safely be skied.

Yeah I have to figure in the cost of a ticket. Driving all they way there and then spending 100 bucks for a ticket doesn’t seem worth it