• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter reality show Winter Break to air in Feb on MTV

benski

We ditched cable in CT and just have internet. As a part of cable internet in VT, we have to purchase "Basic Cable". About the only thing tolerable is Shark Tank reruns on CNBC Friday evenings. That's the extend of my cable watching these days. Less than an hour a week. Woohoo!

Same. I have no cable this semester, and last semester did not realize I was on an unused channel for cable in Amsterdam for 3 month, due to lack of caring and only using the TV for a laptop screen.

cdskier

No internet? What up with that.

It would cost me something like an extra $70 a month give or take depending on taxes and fees. Not worth it. It really sucks when the Telephone company and Cable company are the same company so you have 0 choice of providers for Internet... And Waitsfield Telecom requires you to have basic phone service in order to get Internet...

benski

It would cost me something like an extra $70 a month give or take depending on taxes and fees. Not worth it. It really sucks when the Telephone company and Cable company are the same company so you have 0 choice of providers for Internet... And Waitsfield Telecom requires you to have basic phone service in order to get Internet...

I think thats the only way that feasible. My grandparent live in an area where they only have a phone company and can only get there TV and Internet from satellite providers. They also live in a dead-zone. Municipal ownership is really the only answer for the Mad River Valley to improve its coverage, outside of the around the base area and along route 100.

cdskier

I think thats the only way that feasible. My grandparent live in an area where they only have a phone company and can only get there TV and Internet from satellite providers. They also live in a dead-zone. Municipal ownership is really the only answer for the Mad River Valley to improve its coverage, outside of the around the base area and along route 100.

Not quite sure I understand your point...Waitsfield Telecom is a privately owned company. It isn't owned by the town.

keyser soze

Has anybody been to Hunter lately and if so, how is it skiing? Thinking about going up Sunday as I think the crowds will be light, but not if conditions suck. TIA.

They blew a lot of snow this week, might be stiff by the weekend, but Purna, Clairs and Cliff got some love

Glenn

Rural internet access is a large issue in VT. The "Last Mile" seems to be the sticking point for a lot of providers. We are fortunate where we are and have a small, local cable company that has lines on our road and most of our town IIRC. I know there are a lot of places up north where the only access is satellite.

I'm sure cellular tech will get cheaper and some day, you probably won't even need a line coming to your house. Up north, the towers are always a sticking point, so that'll be another hurdle to get over.

legalskier

Has anybody been to Hunter lately and if so, how is it skiing? Thinking about going up Sunday as I think the crowds will be light, but not if conditions suck. TIA.
Forecast is for 3-5" starting Sunday morning. I've been wanting to try their Sleep In Sundays ticket (https://www.huntermtn.com/deals/sleep-in-sundays/), but this particular Sunday I'll probably head to Pa. with the hope that most Eagles fans won't be on the slopes. Same snow forecast there too.

Dick Gazinya

I think we should get a group together and go down to Hunter and crash this party.

da-bum

Now that's not very nice.

Hopefully they have at least 1 skier so he/she can hit people while carrying their skis/poles and rest their poles on other people's skis/boards in the lift line. :lol:

If they have one skier, than that's one less rider to sit on the snow side by side spanning the whole trail and blocking everybody from passing through. 8 is just enough to block their widest trail.

Jcb890

If they have one skier, than that's one less rider to sit on the snow side by side spanning the whole trail and blocking everybody from passing through. 8 is just enough to block their widest trail.
True, they do tend to do that a lot.
Which is worse, those people or the skiers who traverse across/up trails over to their friends/family without bothering to look uphill?

cdskier

It's actually not necessary for human survival.

Regardless, I want it available at all times.

If for some reason I REALLY needed it, then I can always just bring my laptop over to the lodge and use free wifi there (I've done this a couple times including once last year when I drove up Thursday night to avoid driving on Friday during a snowstorm...I worked out of the lodge Friday morning and then took some runs in the afternoon after the snow started falling).

da-bum

True, they do tend to do that a lot.
Which is worse, those people or the skiers who traverse across/up trails over to their friends/family without bothering to look uphill?

OR worse, the relative beginners on advanced trails, zigging and zagging with no discern pattern. You are coming down fast and try to go safely outside what looks like the width they are taking based on the few zig and zags you observed them doing, but then, out of the blue, they don't make that zig, but keep on going toward the side, and you keep decreasing your last turn's radius, waiting for them to make that zig so you can eventually turn and ski pass them safely outside of their boundary while they are also facing the other way. You wait for that zig to the point where you have practically no more trail left to the side and make a pass with you in their sight, maybe startling them.

Funky_Catskills

Local checking in...

This was filmed in my buddy Ernies house - He made some good cash off of it.. Another really good friend lived across the street - he never heard a peep from it. I'm not very social but I can tell you I didn't even know it was going on. I heard they took over some bars etc... But I usually stay home unless I'm playing music.

Whatever - to me it's important for people to make money up here right now. The town is making a positive turn and we need to take advantage of it. The old days of "Vinny and Tony" are pretty much past us and now we see the hipsters kind of moving in.. I see this as a positive.

I'm actually beyond the haters of Hunter now.. Think what you want. I'm comfortable with my choice of living here - good skiing - cool local scene- close to NYC for work. Peoples hate just doesn't affect me anymore because most of it is from the past and if that's where people want to dwell - I can't stop that..

Oh and I need cable because I work out of my house.. But no TV cable for the last few years...

Killingtime

Spent this past Saturday night in Tannersville. Favorite place was the Last Chance where a blues band were doing some cool Allman Bros covers. Town was quieter than I imagined. Even Slopes was empty, but I left around 10:00 after a few beers so I probably missed the late crowd.