Utah: How bad can it be? - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by redwinger View Post
    I had to laugh when locals were saying that this was the worst winter in 13 years. I skied 4 days, Brighton, Solitude, Alta, Brighton. Skiing was fantastic, hit a 10" powder day at Solitude. They just opened Devils Castle at Alta. I don't know what you're hoping to ski if you can't find it and have fun on it at Alta right now.
    It is one of the worst winters ever out west right now, that is indisputable. Conditions are marginal in any sort of chute and bushes are coming through some trails. However, it was very skiable. We ski similar coverage back east in glades all the time (I was there from the 20th to the 26th).

The snow is still incredible compared to the east and when it snows, it is still glorious powder. I agree with you that any skier coming out west from skiing the east will be blown away with how great the snow is. The snow and coverage are both vastly superior to what we have in the east right now (you can ski at least some trees at all the utah areas). This coming storm in NE MIGHT make it a little more comparable, but our snowpack will disappear in a week.

I seem to remember skiing Alta and Snowbird once in January long time ago with < 100 inches base and it was quite different than the other times. Lots of rocks to navigate. when > 100 inches, simply amazing. If expectations are low wrt powder, chutes, etc, then probably fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
    Personally I would stick to Alta and Snowbird if you come out
    If it's as bad as folks are saying, and I was going out there on vacation, I'd probably only ski those 2 places since they get considerably more snow than PC, DV, Canyons. I get email alerts for airfare deals for places out west, and I've noticed unusually cheap deals into SLC, I guess this is why.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by boston_e View Post
    While I didn't start the thread I'd be interested in hearing what it is like.

We are staying in Park City but have the max pass and will do a few days for sure at Brighton and Solitude, but considering doing a day or two at PCMR or Snowbird / Alta as well.
    I was just at Deer Valley today. The main runs are groomed snowmaking. As in icy base with loose gran on top. If you like skiing cruisers you'll be fine. I did not venture off the snowmaking and groomed runs because there was either no snow at all or very little.

Again, it all depends on your expectations.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by redwinger View Post
    I had to laugh when locals were saying that this was the worst winter in 13 years. I skied 4 days, Brighton, Solitude, Alta, Brighton. Skiing was fantastic, hit a 10" powder day at Solitude. They just opened Devils Castle at Alta. I don't know what you're hoping to ski if you can't find it and have fun on it at Alta right now.
    Actually, it is the worst winter since 1976-1977. And the fact that it snowed 10" now about ten days ago means nothing. The sun, wind, traffic, and warm temps have beaten that to all hell. The reason why people are saying it is bad is because of the low amount of snow. The amount, and frequency of snow storms, really plays a big role in determining what opens out here and how good it skis.

Compared to east, yes, of course it is better. But compared year over year out here--this is a real doozie.
    Last edited by thetrailboss; Feb 7, 2018 at 10:09 PM.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Sucks out west. Folks should just stay home and ski Wachusett amirite?!?!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

I know for the Utah locals it's a very subpar season by their standards, but I just returned to the East from a ten day visit to the Wasatch and had a ball: https://www.pugski.com/threads/utah-...b-5-2018.8538/
    photo from Alta 2/5/18:
    Copy of DSCN2166.jpg
    Last edited by jimk; Feb 8, 2018 at 5:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Sucks out west. Folks should just stay home and ski Wachusett amirite?!?!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    maybe Vermont not Wachusett? We’ve had 37” in the past week.

i have a sinking feeling that I’m leaving better skiing for worse skiing. Ugh.

It will still be good. Just hit Alta/Bird. then you will have 4000 acres to find...stuff.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by boston_e View Post
    maybe Vermont not Wachusett? We’ve had 37” in the past week.

i have a sinking feeling that I’m leaving better skiing for worse skiing. Ugh.
    I was skiing trees at Brighton a month ago and they’re in better shape now. I bet you’ll find some great skiing.

Thread Information