Utah: How bad can it be? - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sankaty View Post
    This was my last experience with Utah (two years ago):
    On the third day, I came down with the flu.

My point is, Utah is a miserable flu-ridden miasma. I don't understand why anyone would choose its pathogenic air over Vermont's pristine, disease-free atmosphere.
    I know you're joking, but recently there actually have been more instances of smog in Salt Lake City. So in the future this might actually be true, meanwhile the residents of Utah will continue to be ignorant towards their impact on the environment.
    "Well, they called him Super Skier,
    As he sat around the sundeck,
    For he swore that he would never take a spill.
    When they finally brought him down
    They had to use three toboggans
    To carry all the pieces down the hill."
    --Chad Mitchell Trio

Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    the residents of Utah will continue to be ignorant towards their impact on the environment.
    If only Utahns were as enlightened as you are, the world would truly be a better place.

President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    I know you're joking, but recently there actually have been more instances of smog in Salt Lake City. So in the future this might actually be true, meanwhile the residents of Utah will continue to be ignorant towards their impact on the environment.
    Yes, Utah has bad inversion thanks to the geography. As to a generalization of Utah residents being ignorant, you are wrong on that one. A good many (probably a majority) actually WANT action taken, but those in power are not reacting. In large part due to the three or four large refineries in the valley and their owners' lobbying.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable View Post
    I agree with your larger point re: public transp. in this county.

And I don't mean to argue with you or sound like I'm rabidly defending SLC as a skiing destination.

BUT I disagree with the rest of this. True, Denver finally got their train to the airport, about 20 years late, but they got it. That's been an issue forever. But you take it to Union Station, and then what? Amtrak to Winter Park?

I've taken a train to ski Aspen (in the 20th century). We had to go all the way to Glenwood Springs. They do have good bus coverage in Summit County, but that's no different than SLC.

I bet Frisco is ten times the charming ski town SLC is, but how do you get there? Car, private shuttle or (gulp) greyhound is all I can find.

SLC has a light rail system straight from the airport to anywhere you want to go, and beat Denver to that goal by a couple years. The bus system up into the canyons is great, and no way you'd ever have a train going up in there unless it was built in the Civil War era (before the automobile). Want to ski Pow Mow? Front runner to Ogden, bus on up. Don't even have to go all the way into SLC.

And of course due to Geography everything is that much closer together, making the pub tran options really convenient in that your not giving up that much time and convenience vs. your own car.

The one downside to SLC is that, as a city, it's not very charming at all, especially out in the areas where it's cheap to stay you have easy access to the bus routes. Like a poster above said, lots of chains, and you're basically staying on the side of a big four lane road in between the car wash and the big box store.

Bohemian Brewery is an oasis in that regard.

I think my next big trip I'll try Frisco. That place looks fun.
    Agree with this. SLC airport to train to bus to mountain is much easier than DIA to train to train to mountain (I just did both this season and vastly preferred SLC). We only went to WP in CO too.

I was in Park City Fri-Sunday. Fri/Sat was good "east coast skiing". Sunday was over a foot of Utah's finest with upper mountain double blacks, bowls and hike to bowls all in play and in fine shape. Ironically its the same storm that will deliver the Northeast with some powder this week, which hopefully I will get on at some point for a double dip.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

So I haven't yet pulled the trigger on my apparently annual mid-April trip to Snowbird yet. Are there still rumors of a May 1st closing? Does anyone have an educated guess as to how the snowpack will hold up? (Looks like it's over 100" base some more snow is on the way too).

Also, am I the only one who is glad that at 9000 feet I'm drinking a low alchohol beer instead of 8% VT 2xIPAs for lunch, especiall on day 1?

Quote Originally Posted by LasersInTheTaiga View Post
    Also, am I the only one who is glad that at 9000 feet I'm drinking a low alchohol beer instead of 8% VT 2xIPAs for lunch, especiall on day 1?
    Yes, yes you are. Personally, I don't like a state to arbitrarily limit how strong the beer I drink is allowed to be.
    There are always lower-ABV options available, not just 8% Double IPAs.
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: Hoping for 35+ days!

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by LasersInTheTaiga View Post
    So I haven't yet pulled the trigger on my apparently annual mid-April trip to Snowbird yet. Are there still rumors of a May 1st closing? Does anyone have an educated guess as to how the snowpack will hold up? (Looks like it's over 100" base some more snow is on the way too).

Hard to say. We just had a great cycle and bases are near 100". We are in a ridge pattern for the next week or so, and then maybe some more snow.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    Yes, yes you are. Personally, I don't like a state to arbitrarily limit how strong the beer I drink is allowed to be.
    There are always lower-ABV options available, not just 8% Double IPAs.
    I just said day 1 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    I don't like a state to arbitrarily limit how strong the beer I drink is allowed to be.
    Seriously. It's absolutely moronic. It's not like beer is 80 proof whiskey to begin with.

All I know is if I lived there I'd make the 1 hour pilgrimage to Wyoming every 3 or 4 months and stock up on decent craft beer.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information