Utah: How bad can it be? - Page 9

AlpineZone

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    What are the beer laws? I seem to remember having plenty of "good" beer? I think any place that can serve booze can serve whatever beer they want?

The only things I remember are:

you can get a six pack to go from the bar, and

at some places, you had to order food to get beer / booze.

I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about but I'm probably hopelessly misinformed and acting hammered after drinking O'douls.

Quote Originally Posted by LasersInTheTaiga View Post
    I just said day 1 ...
    I'm not even a big drinker. I still disagree with the law.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Seriously. It's absolutely moronic. It's not like beer is 80 proof whiskey to begin with.

All I know is if I lived there I'd make the 1 hour pilgrimage to Wyoming every 3 or 4 months and stock up on decent craft beer.
    I don't drink much, but agree it is insane. I'm not sure what their laws are on liquor. I'd absolutely do the same though to get some craft beer. If they have limits on bourbon, then we have some issues. It sounds like no issues other than having to go to a State-run liquor store.

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable View Post
    What are the beer laws? I seem to remember having plenty of "good" beer? I think any place that can serve booze can serve whatever beer they want?

The only things I remember are:

you can get a six pack to go from the bar, and

at some places, you had to order food to get beer / booze.

I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about but I'm probably hopelessly misinformed and acting hammered after drinking O'douls.
    3.2 percent alcohol by weight (4 percent by volume) from any establishment which is NOT a state-run liquor store.
    Sure, there is good session beer at 3.2%... but very few of the styles I like to drink are under 5%.

Personally, I'm not basing my decision to travel on alcohol, but I think that state mandate is insane.
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: 35 days
    2018 - 2019 Season: 6 month old = hoping for... some? days...

All I know is if I lived there I'd make the 1 hour pilgrimage to Wyoming every 3 or 4 months and stock up on decent craft beer.
    Holy sacred golden tablets, apparently that is illegal.

https://sbi.utah.gov/alcohol-enforce...ked-questions/
    (see "Can I bring alcoholic beverages into Utah from another state?")

I think just about everything good is illegal in Utah.

You used to have to have a membership to bars I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Correct. Before the 2002 Olympics.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

It is illegal in most states to import booze. But if you are buying for yourself you are usually fine. It is a law that is not often enforced. It is pretty much impossible to enforce unless you stopped every car.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Correct. Before the 2002 Olympics.
    That's batshit crazy.

It is illegal in most states to import booze. But if you are buying for yourself you are usually fine. It is a law that is not often enforced. It is pretty much impossible to enforce unless you stopped every car.
    Technically Massachusetts has similar rules/laws because people will drive up to New Hampshire to buy booze or cigarettes due to no sales tax or fireworks due to legal reasons.

Seriously. It's absolutely moronic. It's not like beer is 80 proof whiskey to begin with.

So when another state did away with their low-point beer, a couple major national brewers told Utah that low-point beer was going to go by the wayside. The Utah Legislature briefly considered the low-point category and getting rid of it. But they focused on more important things. Like making it optional to stop at red lights. I am completely serious. So, as of now, low-point beer remains a thing in Utah, but the selection may decrease.

The people who are appointed to the DABC have NO experience AT ALL with alcohol. Last year the board went to a liquor outlet. A senior member of the board said he had never drank, and had never even been in a liquor outlet. He was middle aged. Accordingly, the DABC has a lot of problems and is not well run.

The DABC went after a local theater for showing DEADPOOL and serving beer. THE HORROR. Serving a beer at an R-rated movie. But the strip club a few hundred feet down the road, with booze, is FINE. The DABC LOST THEIR SHIRTS in Court. Though I laugh, my taxes are paying that theater's legal costs now.

A certain major institution in Utah calls the shots...both explicitly and implicitly. And drinking is bad in their mind. All who seek to move up in said institution have to preach the party line. Those that make these ridiculous rules are promoted in said institution. Get it?
    Last edited by thetrailboss; Mar 6, 2018 at 2:10 PM.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

So when another state did away with their low-point beer, a couple major national brewers told Utah that low-point beer was going to go by the wayside. The Utah Legislature briefly considered the low-point category and getting rid of it. But they focused on more important things. Like making it optional to stop at red lights. I am completely serious. So, as of now, low-point beer remains a thing in Utah, but the selection may decrease.

The people who are appointed to the DABC have NO experience AT ALL with alcohol. Last year the board went to a liquor outlet. A senior member of the board said he had never drank, and had never even been in a liquor outlet. He was middle aged. Accordingly, the DABC has a lot of problems and is not well run.

The DABC went after a local theater for showing DEADPOOL and serving beer. THE HORROR. Serving a beer at an R-rated movie. But the strip club a few hundred feet down the road, with booze, is FINE. The DABC LOST THEIR SHIRTS in Court. Though I laugh, my taxes are paying that theater's legal costs now.

A certain major institution in Utah calls the shots...both explicitly and implicitly. And drinking is bad in their mind. All who seek to move up in said institution have to preach the party line. Those that make these ridiculous rules are promoted in said institution. Get it?
    That sounds awful, to be honest.

Thread Information