• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter VS Mt Snow

tnt1234

Whelp, trying to sort out schedules and weather.....might be at Hunter Saturday. We'll see.

kingslug

I remember when Hunter was the tough place to go to...all bumped up..westway was open. Much harder than mt snow..but nowhere near killington..but it was close. Different place now, guess they have to groom the hell out of it to preserve the base. I do like that th hey blew a ton on Annapurna.

Rowsdower

Hunter is probably steeper than Mt Snow, but smaller. Mt Snow also has somewhat more consistent conditions probably owing to geography.

It's not that they're bad places to ski. It's just that there's other mountains around either that I like more.

heiusa

Are you asking about a day trip or a weekend/overnight trip?

For me 3 hours is my max for a day trip and even that is a long day. I would rather go for the weekend. I live on Long Island and Hunter is 3 hours away, Hunter is the best mountain I can hit for a day trip, but if I am going for the weekend, I would rather drive to Northern VT.

I can reach Killington in 5 hours.

I am able to keep my costs down because I joined a ski club. The club I belong to has a house at the base of Pico. I pay $25 per night to use the house. Plus we can buy discount tickets from the metropolitan ski council.

I can hit Pico, Killington, Okemo, and Sugarbush easily from our house. On Sunday I can hit southern VT resorts on the way home.

Scruffy

If you can ski Hunter, you can ski anywhere-just saying.

Now, having said that: It depends on what's open; Hunter has the terrain, if it's allowed to open and be used as expert terrain. Peak seems to be pussies compared to the Slutskys. Lower K27 has been closed for weeks- maybe the last month!, Ana has been groomed flat and neutered, and Clair's is almost always groomed. Westway(44) is just a waste of a good steep slope-Plant some trees and make a f#cking glade out of it already so it will hold snow!!! So far, I'll take the Slutsky's reign over Hunter, over Peak's. Peak needs to grow a set.

JimG.

Staff member
If you can ski Hunter, you can ski anywhere-just saying.

Now, having said that: It depends on what's open; Hunter has the terrain, if it's allowed to open and be used as expert terrain. Peak seems to be pussies compared to the Slutskys. Lower K27 has been closed for weeks- maybe the last month!, Ana has been groomed flat and neutered, and Clair's is almost always groomed. Westway(44) is just a waste of a good steep slope-Plant some trees and make a f#cking glade out of it already so it will hold snow!!! So far, I'll take the Slutsky's reign over Hunter, over Peak's. Peak needs to grow a set.

Could not agree more!

Bummed the MAX pass is going away and I'm stuck with a PEAKS pass next season.

skiur

Maybe they're trying to change its image. Make it a "family" place or something.

Powder tried doing something like that at Killington, it didn't work so well so they sent nyburg away and gave solimano the reigns. Much better now.

catskills

For me its all about snow conditions. Its snowing hard right now in Woodstock, NY. If you could have gotten to any of the Catskills resorts for early fresh tracks at 9:00am (or earlier) versus 10:00am tracked up tracks on Mt Snow well the choice is obvious. You got to go with the fresh untracked power run where ever you can get it. Plattekill would probably be awesome on Friday. The locals will be climbing up Plattekill today but there will still be fresh untracked powder to be found at Plattekill.

I have had some awesome days skiing in boot top man made powder on the west side of Hunter. Conditions conditions conditions.

Watch the weather to see if this 8+ inches of snow is going to get rain and how much rain this afternoon. Further north may not get any rain in the afternoon.

Also if you have intermediates in your group I personally would not recommend Hunter. Hunter is going to be working hard to expand their intermediate terrain but there not there yet. . If you have one intermediate in the group that is going to take a few runs and spend most of the time at the bar then Hunter is an option.

dhmcgill87

crazy windy out... Tomorrow is going to be awesome depending where the drifts end up..
no signs yet of the mixed precip creeping up either - wouldn't be surprised to see Hunter claim 12 inches from the storm. I am feeling a hooky day tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mikec142

Any updates on Windham conditions would be great. Thinking of playing hooky with my 13yr old tomorrow but it's a 2.5 hour drive each way. Weather Underground says one thing and Windham says another.