• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Contractor's truck destroyed and tools stolen

Glenn

Terry

That just sucks. What is wrong with people. Talk about kicking someone when they are down. WTF

Glenn

I can't wrap my brain around it Terry. It's insane what people are capable of.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I sometimes question humanity. Hopefully, the power of the internet can get this guy back on track.

Quick summary: His truck broke down leaving Stratton, he left it overnight, someone(s) trashed the truck and stole all of his tools.

Story: http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Truck-destroyed-tools-stolen-473684673.html

GoFundMe page: https://www.gofundme.com/nwvy6-help-replace-stolen-work-tools

Where he parked is just off the access road.

Everyone thinks that Vermont is a bucolic paradise. But it has a lot of problems with poverty and now meth/pain meds/heroin. I have little doubt that someone who needed cash for a high broke into the truck. Vermont also has become a state of empty second homes and a few wealthy visitors, and a lot of very poor people struggling to survive. It is very hard to be middle class in Vermont.

drjeff

So wrong on so many levels!! And TB makes some VERY valid points about what's going on across way too much of VT these days, not to mention way too much of this country....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

fiddleski

I would have some hope that this will be solved quickly and the perpetrators caught. If the stolen tools are publicly identified, then it may be difficult to sell them on CL or wherever. Locals will be on the lookout.

Glenn

Around the time we bought our weekend place, our neighborhood was experiencing some break-ins. It was some local kids steeling alcohol from the weekenders. A few hundred + in damage for $20 worth of booze.

Thankfully, we have high speed internet here and two IP Cameras. Our good friend across the road has a nice Nest Cam which records everything.

Warp Daddy

TB has his finger on the pulse of what is going on in MANY resort areas where the regional economy is depressed or at at least woefully underemployed .

Many of These areas all throughout the Northeast ( cant speak beyond that ) have a bimodal distribution of wealth ( haves /never haves) There are many monied seasonal residents but beyond the resort and a few ripple effect local suppliers there are few good paying jobs ..

so there is desparation especially now with the denigration of the social safety net and the outmigration of local unskilled or semi skilled jobs .Desparate people will do desperate things , yes it is sad that we have come to this

ShadyGrove

Given the amount of damage, that items of zero value were taken (empty spackle buckets?), and the time required to crack out lights, all the windows, etc. it seems unlikely this was a crime for drug money. It's more vandalism than theft.

rocks860

Given the amount of damage, that items of zero value were taken (empty spackle buckets?), and the time required to crack out lights, all the windows, etc. it seems unlikely this was a crime for drug money. It's more vandalism than theft.

Yeah why would you go through all that trouble if you just wanted to steal some stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIKSKIER

As much as I hate people who steal,its seems different to me than stealing and then trashing peoples propertry.I'll bet for the most part these vandals have virtually no personal posessions or they would think longer about just destroying them.Exception would be a if they had an ax to gring with that person.This crap really pisses me off.

Bosco DaSkia

You guys are romanticizing this. This ain't about the haves vs the have nots. Junkies ain't much for common vandalism. This is just the regular type of crappy vandalism and theft that goes on all the time everywhere.

Moral of the story is don't take $16,000 worth of tools with you when you go skiing. And if your work truck with $16,000 worth of tools breaks down, don't just leave it parked somewhere unattended. This is why you have AAA. Call them and then wait with your truck until it is secured.

Honestly, if I left $16,000 worth of anything on the side of the road, I would consider it be my own fault if were not there when I returned.

:cool:

ShadyGrove

You guys are romanticizing this. This ain't about the haves vs the have nots. Junkies ain't much for common vandalism. This is just the regular type of crappy vandalism and theft that goes on all the time everywhere.

Moral of the story is don't take $16,000 worth of tools with you when you go skiing. And if your work truck with $16,000 worth of tools breaks down, don't just leave it parked somewhere unattended. This is why you have AAA. Call them and then wait with your truck until it is secured.

Honestly, if I left $16,000 worth of anything on the side of the road, I would consider it be my own fault if were not there when I returned.

Two quick points:

-He wasn't skiing. He was working up there.
-You are correct that he should have grabbed the valuable items from his truck and brought them home. It's unlikely he would have left lots of cash in the truck, so bring it with you.

Jcb890

While I understand what you're saying, he shouldn't really have to worry about it being an issue either. People should not be pieces of shit, but that's sadly not going to happen.

cdskier

While I understand what you're saying, he shouldn't really have to worry about it being an issue either. People should not be pieces of shit, but that's sadly not going to happen.

Agreed...it really shouldn't matter where the truck was left. I'll never understand what people get out of vandalizing other people's property. The vandalism aspect to this makes me think it was someone younger doing this for "fun" that doesn't understand the value of hard work and the true impact of things like this. That level of destruction doesn't really make sense for a junkie simply looking for things to steal and sell to get more drugs...