• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bolton Valley vs Burke

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
Love small mountains. Thinking of heading north next weekend to find snow. Bolton Valley and Burke look intriguing. Any recs or thoughts on either? We snowboard. I am intermediate, he is expert. He loves trees and I am learning. Can't do steap tree trails yet.

jmgard

I was at Bolton for the first time yesterday and it was so much better than I expected. Waaaaaay more snow, both on the trails and in the trees, than there was at MRG the day before. Tons of on- and off-map tree areas and singletracks and whatnot all over the place, at all sorts of grades/ability levels. Lots of fun stuff just outside the ski area boundaries as well, got some entirely untracked deep snow to myself days after the storm. Barely any liftlines and everyone I rode lifts with said it was one of the busiest days of the year there. Great place and seems to be relatively affordable. Access road is a spicy drive with any kind of inclement weather FYI. Never been to Burke but some friends swear by it.

bdfreetuna

I like Burke but I LOVE Bolton Valley. Bolton has more easier terrain but also more snow and better tree skiing.

The trees lower on the Wilderness chair are really low angle, but fairly lengthy, and a great place to get introduced to trees.

If you do end up actually going I'll write up some more detailed tips.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Bolton gets far more snow. Burke has the better lift and much better, long, consistent pitch and vertical. Bolton skis very short.

I'd say glade acreage and quality is about equal between the two. Probably a slight edge to Burke because of better pitch.

Both have significant flat areas that I'd imagine can be troublesome for snowboarding.

Both have pretty poor base lodges if that matters to you. Bars in both are decent, but the booting up part at the start of the day isn't ideal at either place.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Burke IMHO is the most underrated mountain in New England!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

+ 1.

IMHO the Sherburne Lodge is WAY better than Bolton's lodge. But I have not been to Bolton since 2011.

Bolton is flatter than Burke in my experience. Burke is great for trees and trail skiing and riding....if there is snow. Faster lifts at Burke too. Both are locals' spots.

bdfreetuna

I'd say glade acreage and quality is about equal between the two. Probably a slight edge to Burke because of better pitch.

Bolton is literally woods everywhere, half of them not on the map, and a good handful of them steeper than anything at Burke.

Caveman at Burke has a pretty steep section but that's really the only thing that compares in terms of technical stuff.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Been to both, but enjoy BV much more than Burke, since BV is easier to get to & frequently has special lift deals.

It depends on where you are coming from. Burke is easier to get to from the south than BV. It is 7 miles off of I-91. And no steep access road.

Smellytele

:lol:

Honestly, the OP should just visit both.

Agreed.
I like both but I like Burke better, Better lifts, better lodge options (bears Den for drinks, lower level of Sherburne to boot up), better access and I like the trees better at Burke. I was at Burke Sunday and it was skiing great. Too many times I have been to Bolton and half the mountain is on wind hold and only slow doubles open with access to only lower half of the upper mountain open.

rocks860

I’ve only been to Bolton once back in high school and I don’t remember it at all. I’ve been tempted to get back there again but just haven’t had the opportunity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smellytele

Ok so, now I am confused..LOL..so which is easier to get to from the south, which has better lifts? Which is better for a boarder? Which has more beginner trees?

from the cape I would think Burke is easier to get to also only has 2 detachable quads that feed everything. Bolton has better beginner trees and is better for boarders for the most part.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ok so, now I am confused..LOL..so which is easier to get to from the south, which has better lifts? Which is better for a boarder? Which has more beginner trees?

Burke is easier from the south. Burke has better lifts.

Bolton probably has better low angle trees.

As to better for a boarder, I think it is a draw.

thetrailboss

Staff member
To be fair TB,you really only use one lift at Burke unless your skiing beginer trails.Love that terrain though.

Yep, that is true. The T-Bar is also an option....when there is not a race. But the MBX is pretty much the main lift.