• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

okemo or stratton over the holiday

NYDB

Just checked out some mountain cams. Why anyone would want to go skiing tomorrow at any of the large mid-southern VT resorts after the rain / hard freeze up is beyond me. Between the crowds and the molar rattling groomed terrain as the only option, I'm not sure I'd wish that on anyone.

With that said, set expectations to low and enjoy the trip :spread:

gnardawg

Quick Update: Went to Jackson Gore Monday arrived around 7:50 and parked in the upper lot. Took the shuttle up and was told by someone on the bus that Sunday was Okemo's busiest day in 3 years. I was very nervous about the lines Monday but there really weren't' any. Skied everything open at Jackson Gore the moved over to Sun lift and then back toward the 6 pack around 1230ish. There was a line at 6 pack but only about 3 rows deep.

FWIW charging $22 for 2 Magic Hat Single Chairs is ROBBERY IMO. I know I didn't have to pay it but there were no signs for prices and the girl poured them from the can before she rang me up. I expect to pay higher prices for stuff at resorts but I don't know why that felt like a slap in the face.

tnt1234

Quick Update: Went to Jackson Gore Monday arrived around 7:50 and parked in the upper lot. Took the shuttle up and was told by someone on the bus that Sunday was Okemo's busiest day in 3 years. I was very nervous about the lines Monday but there really weren't' any. Skied everything open at Jackson Gore the moved over to Sun lift and then back toward the 6 pack around 1230ish. There was a line at 6 pack but only about 3 rows deep.

FWIW charging $22 for 2 Magic Hat Single Chairs is ROBBERY IMO. I know I didn't have to pay it but there were no signs for prices and the girl poured them from the can before she rang me up. I expect to pay higher prices for stuff at resorts but I don't know why that felt like a slap in the face.

We ended up at Okemo Saturday. Tried to park at the main base around 8:30. traffic up the road turned us around. thank god.

Went to Jackson Gore and paid the $20 for the close parking. Crowds were normally heavy at that lodge.

Skied the whole mountain side to side, but never rode the bubble six. Lines were outrageous. Single line when 50 yards up the slope. Never went down tot eh clock tower - you could see the mob scene for those A/B lifts getting you back to the 6 pack....looked awful.

Now, about the beer....had a Long Trail on tap at the summit lodge at lunch - I think that was $8.50, and a couple of cans of Trout Something-or-other at Jackson Gore Coleman bar. Didn't notice the price. Where did you get gouged on the single chair?

tnt1234

BTWm went to Bromly Sunday - crowded, but fine. Singles line at the base was maybe 5-8 minutes. Blue Bell lift, once it opened, was ski on all day except for about an hour in the middle. 6-8" of fresh snow - killer day all the way around.

gnardawg

Damn I got the beer inside Jackson Gore Round Lodge at a little stand behind the information desk on the right if you're looking into the cafeteria.

Edd

$11 for a can of beer is out of line for sure.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

gnardawg

One other thing I'll say about Okemo is that they are overly conservative about closing glades/nats. There were patrolers standing at the top and bottom of some glades/nats pulling tickets. Upper Wild Thing looked sick and I really wanted to duck in but there were patrolers all over. The trail was CHOCK full of snow.

Is this typical of Okemo? I've only been a few times the past 3 years thanks to max pass. I'm typically a Killington skier and I thought it was crazy that trail was closed.