• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Aggravation

VTKilarney

You brought it up and I really don't care one way or the other. You open the box things will escape.

I brought up my own personal situation and nothing more. You tried to make it into some wacky omnibus discussion of private schools versus public schools - as if I would care. That stuff is better suited for the comments section of the Huffington Post.

benski

If you have any desire to work for a global company and move up the corporate ladder, English is critical. I work for a global company and have meetings almost every day with people from other countries. The people regularly promoted to higher level positions in other countries almost all speak fluent English (at least within the departments I work with). Sometimes I even think there are people in other countries that speak better English than some of my colleagues here in the US. It really is impressive how skilled in multiple languages many people in other countries are.

Its not just your company. Everyone you will meet if you travel in Europe speaks English. You will find the same thing in bars, supermarkets and Ski areas in Europe. I met on person in Paris last semester who did not speak english. I actually had one or two people tell me they struggled in english, then speak better english than the average New York hispanic resident.

benski

We wouldn't pay the international student premium. By law, a university in an EU country can only charge citizens of other EU countries what they charge their own citizens. In the Netherlands, for example, where they have LOTS of programs in English, tuition is about $2,500 per year for EU citizens. (It's still only $10,000 or thereabouts for non-EU citizens.) I just have to hope that they don't get so stoned that they fail their exams or that they spend the tuition savings on hookers.

I just spent a semester abroad in the Netherlands. So I know very well. My program was Utrecht school of Economics, they said in orientation the school was 1/4 foreign, and they only had one class in Dutch, which I think was a writing class and only meant for students who wanted to work for Dutch organizations. A lot of those schools have only 3 year bachelors too. I think its from skipping most gen-eds. And outside of the US you can become a lawyer with only 5 years of post high school education.

VTKilarney

Its not just your company. Everyone you will meet if you travel in Europe speaks English.

If a German is doing business with someone from Japan, they are speaking English. It's amazing how knowledge of English has exploded - much to the chagrin of the French.

VTKilarney

I just spent a semester abroad in the Netherlands. So I know very well. My program was Utrecht school of Economics, they said in orientation the school was 1/4 foreign, and they only had one class in Dutch, which I think was a writing class and only meant for students who wanted to work for Dutch organizations. A lot of those schools have only 3 year bachelors too. I think its from skipping most gen-eds. And outside of the US you can become a lawyer with only 5 years of post high school education.

How would you compare the quality of the education? That's my major concern.

Oz Von Toco

So about that weather, looks like a chance for 3-8 inches at mountain creek (I know most of you probably hate that place but it's 45 mins from me) and 1-3 through a lot of ny/NE Saturday into Sunday, looks like rain on Sunday, but Sunday could be better than it's been

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Oz Von Toco

So about that weather, looks like a chance for 3-8 inches at mountain creek (I know most of you probably hate that place but it's 45 mins from me) and 1-3 through a lot of ny/NE Saturday into Sunday, looks like rain on Sunday, but Sunday could be better than it's been

Sorry, I meant rain in Monday, snow Saturday night into Sunday

benski

How would you compare the quality of the education? That's my major concern.

U.S. News, and the Times (UK) have a global ranking of universities, but I am not if they account for the difference between 3 year and 4 year bachelors. l Credits are measured differently there but I it seemed like the classes were the same length. You can pull up the curriculum of any major and university online, and check for notable omissions. I just looked at Utrecht university and it appears the economics major is similar to the BS here at Binghamton university but skipping the gen-eds. Your children could go to a community college and get those credits cheap, as a supplement if they wish.

I am curious how employers think of foreign education? Its got to stand out to employers but do they care?

BenedictGomez

I am curious how employers think of foreign education? Its got to stand out to employers but do they care?

I doubt it. Unless you graduate from Harvard or Yale a college degree has been completely commoditized. The difference between putting Exxon or Sunoco gas in your tank. Just have the scrap of paper that states you put your 4 years in, and once you're in the workforce it's what you learn & achieve from that point forward that counts.

VTKilarney

I doubt it. Unless you graduate from Harvard or Yale a college degree has been completely commoditized.

When I was looking at colleges, my father said to me, "The top 10% matter and the bottom 10% matter. After that, nobody cares."

benski

But back to skiing. Some of those rankings put the University of Innsbruck as there Austrias top university. Good luck finding a university with easier access to skiing all, have bus access from the city and are on one pass.

VTKilarney

But back to skiing. Some of those rankings put the University of Innsbruck as there Austrias top university. Good luck finding a university with easier access to skiing all, have bus access from the city and are on one pass.

Sadly, they don't appear to have any undergraduate programs taught in English. They do have a lot of graduate programs, though.

JimG.

Staff member

My father graduated from a Swiss medical school (University of Bern) and had a long and distinguished career. That said, in those days doctors opened private practices so he didn't have an employer until he sold his practice late in his career.

I would guess it depends on your field of study. I would think multinationals would favorably view a new employee with an international education. Foreign service professions too.

benski

I doubt it. Unless you graduate from Harvard or Yale a college degree has been completely commoditized. The difference between putting Exxon or Sunoco gas in your tank. Just have the scrap of paper that states you put your 4 years in, and once you're in the workforce it's what you learn & achieve from that point forward that counts.

I am a junior in college, so you are one step ahead of me.

The problem with ranking colleges is the big rankings, are not great at measuring the quality. Its quite apparent as a student that schools are generally not on a mission to improve there education. The fact that colleges higher Chinese professors who are not proficient in english to teach lecture is awful and demonstrates there lack of caring about teaching quality but strong stress on making the look good to get more applicants despite having no trouble filling seats.

Smellytele

I am a junior in college, so you are one step ahead of me.

The problem with ranking colleges is the big rankings, are not great at measuring the quality. Its quite apparent as a student that schools are generally not on a mission to improve there education. The fact that colleges higher Chinese professors who are not proficient in english to teach lecture is awful and demonstrates there lack of caring about teaching quality but strong stress on making the look good to get more applicants despite having no trouble filling seats.

Hopefully you write and proofread better in school than you do on the interwebs