• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Aggravation

kingslug

Do you get aggravated with all this where to go, is it frozen, look it rained and froze, etc, etc. I still do, sux. Yes I can and do ski out west at least 3x a season but still find it aggravating that our weather here can drive you crazy. Skiing is my escape from the insanity of my job..I need it. And its hard to explain to people who don't ski what the whole bother is about...they don't get it. I guess a golfer would if it rained on most of their weekends. Its even worse when its good and you can't get there, then finally get to go, and its a rink..kind of like this past 2 weeks.
I used to think my motorcycle was connected to rain clouds..start it and it starts raining..

cdskier

Yes...I know exactly what you mean.

Even though Saturday was great I knew the forecast after that was pretty crappy and thus was pretty annoyed knowing it wouldn't last. Sitting in my condo Saturday night and seeing rain fall outside was infuriating. You are so right that non-skiers don't understand. Even many casual skiers don't quite understand I would argue.

bdfreetuna

I think we all get a little weird about things in the winter. Mood = very weather dependent :lol:

My big move this year was to obtain a floating work schedule and zero notice on schedule arrangements during the winter. I guess being a web developer gives me a lot of flexibility. Family business on top of that and you're sort of set.

So, this week looks like crap after last week, but I think Wed will be good for MRG and Thurs I'll figure out on the fly.

Also, being willing to drive to Jay when everywhere else sucks helps a lot. Jay Peak is more reliably better conditions than a lot of western places. I'm sure the same applies to Wildcat if you're further out that way.

Edd

Bretton Woods probably has the most reliable snow conditions in NH. Ok base elevation with flatter terrain, lots of glades, and very wind resistant. The winds really screw with Wildcat's snow conditions.

Oz Von Toco

Anyone have any hope this season could turn around a bit? Living in jersey windham/hunter/belle/mountain creek are my realistic day trip options, which have all been pounded with rain...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

tnt1234

Being a flatlander skier is the worst. Work and schedules mean few opportunities to get to the mountains, so a constant watch on the weather to see if the weekend you picked will have good snow....then trying to keep options open and plan a trip last minute, leading to even closer weather watching to try to make the right call....with 2-3 hour each way day trips to small, often crowded and poor snow quality mountains just to feel like you are a skier....exhausting.

bdfreetuna

Bretton Woods probably has the most reliable snow conditions in NH. Ok base elevation with flatter terrain, lots of glades, and very wind resistant. The winds really screw with Wildcat's snow conditions.

That is, until Les Otten turns Balsams Wilderness into a bigger-than-Killington super resort.

Is this really happening?

ironhippy

I'm glad i got back into mountain biking a few years ago.

When the snow is crap for skiing (after a thaw-freeze) the biking is really, really good.

Now the only time I don't have an outside activity is when it's raining and really I can snowshoe if I'm motivated enough, but normally i just get on the bike trainer and wait for things to freeze.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I've found that becoming a part-time ski instructor (4 seasons now...time flies...) has made me less concerned with the weather. I still get my days on-snow. When it's good, I go north. When skiing's not so hot, I teach more.

I did feel some aggravation last night when I realized it was warmer outside than in my garage where I was tuning my skis.

bdfreetuna

I'm glad i got back into mountain biking a few years ago.

When the snow is crap for skiing (after a thaw-freeze) the biking is really, really good.

Now the only time I don't have an outside activity is when it's raining and really I can snowshoe if I'm motivated enough, but normally i just get on the bike trainer and wait for things to freeze.

I need to rediscover this, honestly.

Got a nice 6" dualie Specialized Enduro sitting in the garage; barely use it. In high school I raged MTB, did pretty good in races too. Had that technical stuff down and thought myself an aspiring trials rider. Even had one of those 14" wheeled bikes with dual Maguras for that purpose for a while.

At this point in my life... 35... I can see this being definitely the best way to train and stay in shape at least for the ski season. We got miles and miles of MTB trails right out my door.

Time to step it up again. Thanks for the reminder.

Oz Von Toco

Being a flatlander skier is the worst. Work and schedules mean few opportunities to get to the mountains, so a constant watch on the weather to see if the weekend you picked will have good snow....then trying to keep options open and plan a trip last minute, leading to even closer weather watching to try to make the right call....with 2-3 hour each way day trips to small, often crowded and poor snow quality mountains just to feel like you are a skier....exhausting.

100% agree. It seems every time it snows it's followed by rain/warm temps so short of calling out I can't really take advantage, and by the weekend it's gone...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

The Sneak

BW was in excellent shape this past Saturday. Spent the whole day in the glades. So much fun.
High performance milf on the chair talking crap about her husband was amusing, less so that she was telling her child how much daddy sucked at life.

cdskier

100% agree. It seems every time it snows it's followed by rain/warm temps so short of calling out I can't really take advantage, and by the weekend it's gone...

So incredibly frustrating sitting in the office during the week and seeing ski resorts posting pictures of excellent conditions meanwhile knowing the forecast isn't going to allow that to still be the case by the weekend. Sure I do some long weekends here and there by adding in a Friday at times, but powder days earlier in the week are just evil as they would require multiple days off from work and usually aren't feasible.

This year in particular seems to be particularly bad for weekends...

Jcb890

So incredibly frustrating sitting in the office during the week and seeing ski resorts posting pictures of excellent conditions meanwhile knowing the forecast isn't going to allow that to still be the case by the weekend. Sure I do some long weekends here and there by adding in a Friday at times, but powder days earlier in the week are just evil as they would require multiple days off from work and usually aren't feasible.

This year in particular seems to be particularly bad for weekends...
I hear you there.
I finally took my own advice and took a sick day last Wednesday to go ride the storm... it was totally worth it. Its not something I can get away with often though unfortunately.

jimk

Any whining from you Northerners will be drowned out by louder whining from us Southerners:) Our mid-Atlantic season is trying to wind down early with a ton of non-frozen precip and warm temps lately. And it hardly ever exactly flourished. We had a nice cold spell in second half of Dec that the resorts put to good use for snowmaking to open a decent percent of groomers. But we never got much natural snow anywhere south of Northern PA, so trees never really came into play and few bumps sprouted. Jan and Feb have been up and down, but mostly down. Between trips West I have saved Prez Weekend for my last local skiing. It could be down to WROD, but at least I think the niar will stop by Saturday 2/17.
I'm hoping to fix this problem next year by spending two months in Utah, but as we know even they are not immune to...aggravation:)

AdironRider

I stopped paying attention to snow reports a few years back after falling down the rabbit hole. I was looking at infared NOAA maps and coming up with my own predictions by the end.

I just go ride now. I wake up and see snow, sweet. I was up and see sun, alright bluebird! I wake up and its cold, put on another layer. I wake up and its raining, I drink a beer.

Otherwise I'm just left thinking "oh it would be better if". I'd rather just keep thinking snowboarding is awesome.

We all fell in love with the sport as a beginner, on the bunny hill, most likely in rental gear. Those conditions and equipment are usually the worst available at any given ski hill. It didn't take a foot of fresh, or impeccable grooming, for you to fall in love with it. You did because its awesome and fun. Its still awesome and fun regardless of conditions.

Hawk

There is a solution. Move to where it snows a lot more. Utah, the northwest, BC, etc. Take only work that puts you in close proximity to these areas. Get a place on the hill or very close to it. DO NOT HAVE KIDS....or an non-skiing wife for that matter. Sacrifice everything for that elusive Powder or at least combination of several of these things. I was successful with a few of these and my powder day yield has been a lot better. It's not for everybody. But it sure feels great to be the one that is there when it snows on a weekday.

Otherwise I do on let the bad weather frustrate me. Wasting time and energy on things you can't control is bad for you. Close your eyes and take a deep breath and say Fuk That! I just ride my mountain bike when the snow sucks and at least I am outside having fun.

Bumpsis

If it were not for some relative flexibility in my work schedule and being able to take days off with little advance, I'd be mighty depressed.
I definitely cherry pick my days but the down side is that can do this rather infrequently. I took a day off this past Friday and enjoyed a super day at Sugarbush. Their last Wednesday's snow event gave them great conditions even two days after the storm. Alas, such days are rare.
It seems that our winters are now in mostly in "spring weather" mode. I don't think I'll ever get used to this.