• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Temp and snow conditions

Breakout12

Hey, I need the benefit of everyone’s experience.

The forecast for Tremblant for Wednesday is sunny with a high of 3 degrees C (37.4 F). It’s consistently been below freezing until that point. What kind of snow conditions would you expect? How soft and mushy might it be? I’ve rarely skied at that temperature so I don’t know what to expect. Thanks.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
At 37 degrees things won't even soften up this time of year. Hardpack snow generally keeps its self firm unless it gets above 40 degrees in the sun for a few hours or it hasn't set-up overnight. Natural is a little different. It depends on how moist the snow was to begin with, but at 37 degrees I really doubt you'll find anything remotely close to "mush".

I did hear they got freezing rain though earlier this week on this site though.

skifastinvt

Current conditions at Tremblant

I'm at Tremblant this week. It was freezing rain all the way from Montreal to Tremblant yesterday (sun) afternoon. It changed over to light snow early evening Sunday giving us about an inch. 10 degrees and windy on Monday morning. Many lift delays due to weather (I assume due to icing). Northside had much better conditions than South. Both sides were firm and fast. A lot more ice than I was expecting on the south side cruisers, with some glare in places lurking below the dust. I'm planning to ski for the rest of the week. I would love to see things "soften up a bit", but we're going to need more than a few days of mid-30s temps to do that. I don't think the woods or bumps will be in the cards for me this week.

At 37 degrees things won't even soften up this time of year. Hardpack snow generally keeps its self firm unless it gets above 40 degrees in the sun for a few hours or it hasn't set-up overnight. Natural is a little different. It depends on how moist the snow was to begin with, but at 37 degrees I really doubt you'll find anything remotely close to "mush".

I did hear they got freezing rain though earlier this week on this site though.

cdskier

I'd agree with ss...I wouldn't expect the snow to be that soft with highs of only 37. If they did get freezing rain, a high of 37 could be a benefit and "unlock" some of the frozen surface a bit.

Breakout12

I'm at Tremblant this week. It was freezing rain all the way from Montreal to Tremblant yesterday (sun) afternoon. It changed over to light snow early evening Sunday giving us about an inch. 10 degrees and windy on Monday morning. Many lift delays due to weather (I assume due to icing). Northside had much better conditions than South. Both sides were firm and fast. A lot more ice than I was expecting on the south side cruisers, with some glare in places lurking below the dust. I'm planning to ski for the rest of the week. I would love to see things "soften up a bit", but we're going to need more than a few days of mid-30s temps to do that. I don't think the woods or bumps will be in the cards for me this week.

Thanks. It’s good to hear from someone who is there.
I am concerned about the freezing rain they got, but I am hoping that a couple of days will be enough time to recover. They will be getting more mixed precipitation on Thursday, so Wednesday will be the last chance until next week.
How long are you going to be there? Any chance you could update on Tuesday?

skifastinvt

Tremblant 2/13/18

What a difference a day makes! Still firm and fast, but most of the glare was covered up by extensive grooming last night. Bluebird with temps topping out in the high teens. Best snow on the mountain were the groomers off the edge chair. Bumps and woods off edge chair look to have great coverage, but are still too firm for my taste. Most of north side that was groomed was good. I thought soleil chair was really good today as well. Another night of grooming should make tomorrow even better, but with high temps in the low 30s and mostly cloudy and don't see anything softening up tomorrow. Bring your carving skis and thank the groomers!

Thanks. It’s good to hear from someone who is there.
I am concerned about the freezing rain they got, but I am hoping that a couple of days will be enough time to recover. They will be getting more mixed precipitation on Thursday, so Wednesday will be the last chance until next week.
How long are you going to be there? Any chance you could update on Tuesday?

abc

How's Tremblant today?

For some reason, I couldn't get their condition page to come up on my work computer.

Edd

How's Tremblant today?

For some reason, I couldn't get their condition page to come up on my work computer.

The report I’m seeing shows a 100% chance of poutine and shit beer. Like, you are not getting around that.