• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Missing Whiteface Skier Found..........

Edd

I would not want to explain to my co-workers I hitched across the country in ski boots and have no memory of it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

rocks860

Yeah he’s definitely not going to be allowed to be a firefighter anymore, that’s for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speden

I think he needs to see a boot fitter. If he could comfortably wear his boots for a whole week, then they are probably one size too big. Maybe that's why he hit his head...

Sent from my SM-G920V using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

It could be a possible mental disorder also. But, who knows. Don't let the guy purchase any firearms, that's for sure. And I certainly wouldn't want him as my lifeline if I was a fellow firefighter.

VTKilarney

It seems that Canada didn’t bring their best cross-country skier to Peyong Chang.

abc

It could be a possible mental disorder also. But, who knows. Don't let the guy purchase any firearms, that's for sure. And I certainly wouldn't want him as my lifeline if I was a fellow firefighter.
He's a RETIRED firefighter.

Alzheimer?

BenedictGomez

My BS meter is red-lined so hard, it stuck.

bs_meter.jpg

Jcb890

He's a RETIRED firefighter.

Alzheimer?
Whoops! I thought it was saying he was still a volunteer firefighter.
Mental illness is very tricky. I wouldn't bet on Alzheimer's with him being a younger person, that would be less likely, but I suppose possible. In my opinion, when the details come out that he was 3,000 miles away, still wearing his skiing gear and wasn't quite sure how he got there... sure sounds like some type of mental illness/mental episode.

Smellytele

Whoops! I thought it was saying he was still a volunteer firefighter.
Mental illness is very tricky. I wouldn't bet on Alzheimer's with him being a younger person, that would be less likely, but I suppose possible. In my opinion, when the details come out that he was 3,000 miles away, still wearing his skiing gear and wasn't quite sure how he got there... sure sounds like some type of mental illness/mental episode.

he is only 49 they said with no history of mental illness.
I would put money on the BS or he had a really bad concussion.

Jcb890

he is only 49 they said with no history of mental illness.
I would put money on the BS or he had a really bad concussion.
Unfortunately, history doesn't always matter.
You see/hear stories all the time about people with no history snapping or having an episode. Just because there is or isn't history, doesn't mean it will never come up or won't come back.

There's even some evidence of substances as "benign" as marijuana triggering schizophrenia or schizophrenic breaks in people who had no idea they had mental illness.

With a really bad concussion I don't think you wind up hitchhiking your way across the country, still wearing your skiing gear 5 days and 3,000 miles later. I would find it hard to believe a random stranger would pick up a man and drive him thousands of miles if he's completely disoriented and wearing skiing gear. I find it hard to believe a random stranger would do that whether he was disoriented or not, but he must have said something that made the stranger give him a ride. With a bad concussion he'd most likely be disoriented, possibly even visibly wobbly while moving and most likely would not have had the cognizance to explain to a stranger why he was in his skiing gear and traveling across the country.

Who knows, we're all just guessing at this point because none of it really makes any sense.

AdironRider

Someone has been watching Reefer Madness.

If it was a mental thing, do you think his wife would be stonewalling?

cdskier

Unless you're her or personally know her, then you have no idea what her reasons could be for any of her actions. Additionally, is there even any substantiated proof that the wife was uncooperative or is this just based mainly on hearsay? I didn't see this mentioned in any of the articles I read.

Maybe there actually is history of unusual behavior in the past from him that the wife is trying to hide (if she was in fact trying to hide anything).

bdfreetuna

My money is on what JCB said. Even enough stress can cause SCZ breaks in susceptible people.

I have no idea why his wife is stonewalling, but I imagine their relationship is strained at the moment and he's got a lot of explaining to do (if he's even able).

Memory loss, sleeping at weird hours, disorientation... let me share this article with my wife the clinical psychologist and see what she thinks.

djd66

it will be interested if this is actually a legit mental illness thing. Maybe i will use that excuse next time I want to ski out west without telling my wife.

AdironRider

Unless you're her or personally know her, then you have no idea what her reasons could be for any of her actions. Additionally, is there even any substantiated proof that the wife was uncooperative or is this just based mainly on hearsay? I didn't see this mentioned in any of the articles I read.

Maybe there actually is history of unusual behavior in the past from him that the wife is trying to hide (if she was in fact trying to hide anything).

Do you really believe that or just throwing out possibilities (which I do all the time myself)?

Jcb890

Someone has been watching Reefer Madness.

It is a generally harmless drug (comparatively) and I am for its possible medical benefits. I am in favor of testing and more testing to see what good can come from it. Your comment is far from my stance or beliefs.

Do yourself a favor and do some research.
Example:
I believe it was a special I saw on Viceland where a girl had been convicted of murder after a schizophrenic episode... she had never shown any symptoms, no history, nothing. Typical girl, good home, good grades, enough money, etc. Her and her friends smoked, she had a schizophrenic break and went on to commit a violent murder against a random stranger. Her friends finished the same bag, none had any issues. Before and after this event, she never showed any signs of aggression, mental problems, etc. Could there have been other things at play? Sure, but there is evidence supporting marijuana use possibly triggering things like this. The issue is we don't have the mountain of empirical evidence and testing to back anything up because the government is stuck in Reefer Madness Mode with Jeff Sessions.