• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter's lifts...........or lack of now!!

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
I'd assume the Hunter lift problems stem from lack of preventive maintenance because finding a knowledgeable experienced mechanic is not a thing that happens. Especially on new lifts in the east. Poma is pretty much supporting their own stuff.

Also, dopplagang way better then poma.

There isn't any kind of "preventive maintenance" that could be done on an electrical panel.....think about the printed circuit board on just about anything that's electrical.

cc1

Well that's just great that Peak Resorts addressed the season passholder about the lifts, which in my opinion are lacking preventative maintenance as compared to past regime.....now on to step #2......lack of quality snowmaking.......if they made more snow like the old regime.....and didn't have a paupers budget they'd be in great shape right now and all the other mountains would be envious.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
There isn't any kind of "preventive maintenance" that could be done on an electrical panel.....think about the printed circuit board on just about anything that's electrical.

Relays are replaceable and often check out fine , kind of like a roulette wheel . A burned contact can be tough to see . I would imagine there are some sizable ones with the amperage involved . My guess and that's all it is , is related to a poor power supply . Something that shows up under a heavier load and checks out fine with testing . No doubt lots of torn out hair on the floor of the mechanics work area .

mriceyman

Relays are replaceable and often check out fine , kind of like a roulette wheel . A burned contact can be tough to see . I would imagine there are some sizable ones with the amperage involved . My guess and that's all it is , is related to a poor power supply . Something that shows up under a heavier load and checks out fine with testing . No doubt lots of torn out hair on the floor of the mechanics work area .

Yes good call.. ive had plenty of machines work fine in the shop but when hooked to generators they dont get the true power they need

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

millerm277

Good reply from the mountain. While it would have been better to get something like that out there sooner, I'm glad to see it now.

Thanks for posting it for the non-passholders DMC.

Agreed with the others as well: Two lifts with odd and repeated electrical problems sure sounds like an issue with the power supply. I hope they're looking into the quality of what they're receiving from the utility and whatever lines/electrical infrastructure they own to get it to the lifts.

spk27alumni

I'd assume the Hunter lift problems stem from lack of preventive maintenance because finding a knowledgeable experienced mechanic is not a thing that happens. Especially on new lifts in the east. Poma is pretty much supporting their own stuff.

Also, dopplagang way better then poma.

As for the experience factor... B.A. who replaced S.B., as the person in charge, has worked there every year since I worked Lift Maintenance there; in the Summer of 1979! I think it is logical to conclude that he has plenty of experience with the Hunter Mountain Lift Infrastructure.

sull1102

Just came here to take back my Poma isn't shit earlier now that the Bluebird is down for a week at Sneaux.

Funky_Catskills

Well that's just great that Peak Resorts addressed the season passholder about the lifts, which in my opinion are lacking preventative maintenance as compared to past regime.....now on to step #2......lack of quality snowmaking.......if they made more snow like the old regime.....and didn't have a paupers budget they'd be in great shape right now and all the other mountains would be envious.

"regime" - Orville and Izzy would probably not like that hahaha...

23131379629_01c46a8012.jpg

cdskier

Just came here to take back my Poma isn't shit earlier now that the Bluebird is down for a week at Sneaux.

It would be interesting if there were some real reliability statistics for lifts from different manufacturers. Sure seems Poma has had some bad luck recently, but Dopp has had problems in the past with lifts as well I'm sure.

I have been a Hunter love forever. But as others are saying, they no longer make the same amount of snow and now we look just like the others mountains. When Peaks took over they asked BT why he made so much snow. Insurance he said. Sadly, we have little to no insurance base anymore. If the nor-easter is rain, the place is toast.

On the other hand, more crowds and new folks than ever. My rentals have been great.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I have been a Hunter love forever. But as others are saying, they no longer make the same amount of snow and now we look just like the others mountains. When Peaks took over they asked BT why he made so much snow. Insurance he said. Sadly, we have little to no insurance base anymore. If the nor-easter is rain, the place is toast.

On the other hand, more crowds and new folks than ever. My rentals have been great.

The base is pretty bad. Peaks motto is make it when you need it, except if you cant, your screwed!

kingslug

There actualy is a device that can be used to tell some things about electrical systems. FLIR guns can spot hot spots. They are used all the time but cannot see everything. Electrical issues are a pain to deal with for sure ..it looks like they tried to correct the problems as best theey could. I deal with this stuff all the time and its never an easy fix. And yes..out of spec voltage plays havoc with parts.

tnt1234

Wonder how the repaired lift will run int eh wind and snow on Friday.....

spk27alumni

Depends on the winds. Lift is 100% now. The Flyer can take higher winds than a lot of chairs since each chair itself weighs 1200 pounds.

I skied Hunter yesterday (Wednesday March 31st), from 10:00 AM to just before 1:00 PM. The Six ran fine the whole time. There was a large crew working at the bottom of F Lift, and it was running, but not open yet. Most likely being tested.

BenedictGomez

I was getting a laugh out of people bitching like crazy on their Facebook page about them not running currently. The entire Catskills are shut down from no power.

I'm surprised people even WENT skiing there today. You have strong winds that were high risk to either shut down lifts due to excess peak gusts, or shut them down due to power disruptions, and the last thing I'd want to be doing is skiing under conditions where losing power is a good possibility. A lift evacuation at 60 feet doesnt sound like fun to me, nor does sitting up there in the snow for 1.5 hours before they get to you. Apparently Platty is still spinning, but even were I a local there's no way I'd risk it.