• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Copper 2/14-2/15/18

Zand

Rested up a bit this morning and rolled in around noon. Skiing some real bowls for the first time was pretty cool. Views from them are awesome. Soft snow where the wind was protected but pretty windblown in other areas. Resolution area was fun but I hope there's more in there than just the bump trails I saw...must be some good trees somewhere.

Otherwise, I sampled as many areas of the mountain as I could and the place feels like okemo with bowls at the top. I'll have a lot more time to explore tomorrow especially with fresh snow coming in but everywhere you look it's green and blue cruisers with a few diamonds at the far end off the double. Poked around in the trees a lot but couldn't find anything that lasted very long.

Definitely prefer Winter Park over Copper...just seems like more interesting terrain and a LOT more good trees that seemingly come to you. Not to mention the coverage at Winter Park was probably double. A lot of rocks popping out in random places at Copper and even a couple brown spots on the groomers.

But, regardless of which place is better, heard on the radio on the way in that 8-14" is possible tomorrow!! Should be epic.

speden

Well if trees float your boat, you might want to spring for a lift ticket at A-Basin or Breck for Friday. I don't think Copper is too well known for its trees.

I hope you get to try the Cat skiing on Tucker Mountain at Copper. Probably not a lot of trees on that, but it looks steep.

Zand

Today was EPIC. Copper reported 3 inches of snow this morning but there was a lot more up top. Warmed up right under american eagle which was shin deep powder on top of groomed. Made my way up too but nothing was running above the treeline yet so did a couple runs off super bee. Free fall glade is very long, reminded me of kinsman a bit. The traverse at the bottom across the tubing park was pretty stupid.

Around 10 they opened the t-bar and I beelined it over there. Got very fresh tracks down Spaulding bowl in knee deep powder which was completely sick. Did a couple reruns and found untouched sections each time.

After 11 it started puking snow. Headed over the backside and spent about 2 hours in the copper bowl hitting it from all kinds of angles. Thigh deep powder everywhere and very few tracks. Pretty hard to see with the heavy snow and it was a jolt when the ground would suddenly drop out from under you without seeing it.

Came back over the front via buzzards on union peak...very few tracks as I guess people didn't want to traverse over to it. Just a giant field of untouched powder. Went to hit Spaulding bowl but it had already been roped for the afternoon so took a windblown hallelujah down to Ute. Kind of a weird run...traversing switchbacks to get to it and then basically a bunch of chutes with woods in between. Great snow once you were below the treeline.

Went to take a nice easy run down collage to end the day but couldn't resist the urge to pop into 17 glade. Untouched lines everywhere at 3:30. Unbelievable...sick ending to an epic day.

One more day left...probably gonna stick to copper. Haven't really explored Union Meadows yet so I'll be over there a lot and eating up whatever is left in copper bowl and Spaulding bowl. The cat will be running tomorrow so hoping to experience that if the line isn't too long.

speden

You picked a good week to go. Conditions back here are... well, not as good. Hope your skis are wide enough for all that fresh pow.

mikestaple

A and B chairs only at Copper on the front. Otherwise as much backside as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Zand

Copper was MOBBED today. Slept late after yesterday's fun and didn't roll into the lot till 11. Hit all the good stuff. Best was on the front bowls where the sun didn't bake everything. Jupiter bowl and buzzards were great. Copper bowl was getting baked but a traverse to the left found a lot of powder. Spaulding bowl was wind loaded and hard to turn in some spots. 17 glade and other woods in the area were nice and soft. Made the mistake of skiing Union Meadows...just seems so short and then a long traverse to a long green trail and then forced to wait 10 mins at timberline with a bunch of beginners. Best skiing was definitely off Sierra. Went over to check out the cat skiing but the wait was crazy. Groomed stuff was very skied off especially on steeper trails...hordes of people everywhere on the blues.

Overall a good end to an amazing week in Colorado. So glad I finally got the chance to come out here and check it out. Phenomenal conditions all week. Flying back home in a few hours.