• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Copper 2.8.18 to 2.12.18

xlr8r

Did a four and a half day trip to Copper this past week skiing Thursday through Monday morning on my MAX Pass. Lucked out weather wise as it snowed about a foot on Monday and Tuesday the 5th and 6th of February, to set up the mountain nicely, and then snowed 10" on Saturday the 10th while I was there. Had some trouble with flights as my original flight out of Boston was cancelled due to the storm on the 7th, so I left earlier to beat that storm, and my flight back was delayed by 3 hours. Otherwise things worked out well on the trip.

Other areas I have been to out west include Whistler, Park City, Canyons, Deer Valley, Alta, Winter Park, Vail, Beaver Creek, and Steamboat. The terrain at Copper is very varied even though it is one of the smaller areas I have been to out west. There are plenty of high alpine above tree line bowls to explore almost entirely ungroomed. Due to it being a down snow year in Colorado, there are still a lot of exposed and hidden rocks to hit in the bowls (I got 2 core shots over the five days). So even though the conditions were great with the fresh snow, the coverage was not fantastic.

Highlights were doing multiple runs in Union Meadows, a large tree skiing area that takes days to be tracked out. Skiing down the steep Union, Copper, and Spaulding Bowls. Ripping big vertical runs off of Super Bee on the official FIS downhill training runs. Taking the Tucker Cat on Sunday to the saddle between Jaque Peak and Tucker Mountain, then hiking up Tucker and skiing down the windblown moonscape of The Nacho. Finally one of my best runs ever hiking along West Union Ridge to ski an untracked run down Iron Mask.

Overall Copper has tons of fun terrain that is not overly skied due to the upper mountain lift layout (most of the best runs take multiple lifts or some hiking to lap). But I think I would rank Copper in comparison to other Colorado areas behind Steamboat and Vail, but ahead of Beaver Creek and Winter Park.

I feel it will probably be a few years until I travel out west again. Maybe I am not in as good of shape this year, or maybe it was the altitude, but my best energy was gone after the first 2 days of Thursday and Friday so I was not in top form for the two best weather days of Saturday (10") and Sunday. Monday morning was just a bonus of some time killing before my flight but by then I was tired enough that I just stuck to groomers that morning. I am so used to skiing hard just 1 or 2 days in a row, that 4-1/2 wiped me out. I probably should have spaced out my energy more and gone a bit easier the first 2 days. After the trip I am going to take this weekend off, but am looking forward to being able to ski with full energy again the following weekend somewhere in New England again.

IMG_20180208_100113240.jpg
Thursday morning top of Super Bee

IMG_20180209_113756938.jpg
Tucker Cat

IMG_4129.jpg
Windblown The Nacho

IMG_4133.jpg
Sunday morning groomer off American Eagle

IMG_4143.jpg
Spaulding Bowl from top of Excelerator

xlr8r

IMG_4150.jpg
Spaulding Bowl

IMG_4151.jpg
Spaulding Bowl

IMG_4152.jpg
Union and Copper Bowls from top of Storm King

IMG_4172.jpg
Iron Mask

IMG_4174.jpg
Sierra Lift up to Union Peak

Edd

Gear report! The CO altitude affects my stamina every time. I was at Copper with a friend a couple of years ago, his niece worked there and kindly gave us lift tickets. We took a warm up run before meeting her and her boyfriend on the hill. It was a too-long bump run (maybe Overlode) that kicked the crap out of us. When we meet up with her we’re a sweaty mess already. Then we try to follow them down the hill and they just do not stop at all while we need to take breathers. It was pathetic.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

speden

Really nice pictures. Looks like a blast. I know what you mean about getting worn down skiing multiple days. I try to put a non-ski day in the middle to give my legs a chance to recharge.