• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe 2/15/18

bdfreetuna

Got there nice and early but wasn't very excited due to hearing how things froze up again big time over night.

Stowe did have a bunch of groomed terrain, which was what I was counting on. Very small crowd there, relatively speaking. I had every lift to myself except one time I rode the Gondola with the Queen of England and Her Royal Company, 70 years old and decked out in fur hats and sunglasses. By the way, it was extremely cloudy.

I did have some great cruising runs, almost untouched, on all 3 areas of the mountain. Stuff off the top of Spruce was almost untouched at noon.

My legs were burning from yesterday, by 12:30 I was pretty shot and it had also started raining, and the snow was firming up again making each run quickly less enjoyable.

Did get some woods in but mostly lower angle ones lower on the mountain, it was pretty crusty and only borderline fun.

I will say, their service is top notch. Lifts are fast. They groomed the heck out of a large portion of their terrain and it was very skiable (and fast, with long vert). The toilets were sparkling clean. I was addressed as "Sir" repeatedly, not that I prefer that.

That all said, I do not like Stowe, do not like going to Stowe, and would rather be over the hill at Smuggler's or down the road at Bolton or across the highway at Mad River Glen. I do not want an RFID card to go skiing. I do not want to stand in line for my lift ticket with 5 dudes in their 40's who just railed cocaine together and acting like braggadocious fools.

What did concern me is hearing the lift ticket lady say she thinks Vail is going to buy Jay Peak; but I guess Jay Peak is quickly becoming a weekdays-only destination anyway.

Stowe-2-15_01.jpg
Stowe-2-15_02.jpg
Stowe-2-15_03.jpg
Stowe-2-15_04.jpg
Stowe-2-15_05.jpg

speden

Kudos for getting out this week. I'm hoping for better weather.

kingslug

I'll be there for the shit show this weekend but will hit Jay as well. The one main thing I like about Stowe is the nonstop vertical, something I wish SB had. Also the front 4 are damn hard, which is good. And early season is also very good. At least this year it was.

cdskier

Coverage itself looks pretty good in those pics...too bad it wasn't softer for you. Would have been great if it was.

bdfreetuna

Coverage itself looks pretty good in those pics...too bad it wasn't softer for you. Would have been great if it was.

Frankly looking at the forecast for midweek I'm concerned for both places and in fact all of VT on the natural runs.

Anyway I might have given the impression that the groomed runs were not good. They were really good, just fast and firm. Fast and firm doesn't bug me in the least as long as I'm not coming across a lot of glare ice.

Great runs down Upper/Lower Smuggler's, Sterling, Perry Merril, Hayride, and more of the blues over by the Triple Chair and Gondola. I was taking almost untracked runs in several cases, and these are long cruisers so you really do get into a groove.

cdskier

Frankly looking at the forecast for midweek I'm concerned for both places and in fact all of VT on the natural runs.

Yes, this is looking far too similar to the epic President's week meltdown we had last year...