• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock

Edd

Skied it last Friday. They’d had some recent snow and skier’s left of the mountain was in pretty good condition. Trails around the HSQ weren’t as good, with thousands of death cookies.

I’m going tomorrow first thing. Temps will be in the 40s all night so I’m hoping it’ll be a bit soft when it opens but you never know.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

You planning on this weekend for Jay?

I think it's going to be quite frozen by then. I would push it off for better conditions if you can.

I think anywhere you go this weekend will be frozen and get skied off extremely fast. Cut your losses, go local.

Thing about Jay is even if it doesn't snow at all anymore this winter, they will last longer, so you should have a better chance to get up there soon. Between the holiday weekend crowds and marginal conditions, plus the fact that Jays groomers are going to suck right now, I'd delay it.

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
tuna, I adore you..I had 99% decided NOT to go to Jay due to distance, short amount of time I have, crowds (EVERYTHING is booked but we found a room in a ski house ) ...done..we are going local, Gunstock..only 3 hours from home vs 5.5+. April at Jay feels a lot better already...

Edd

8” of fresh and sunny skies. Seems like you chose well!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jully

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/new...cle_6bdc547a-4a41-11e8-94ed-a332dbc836ce.html

11% drop in visitors is not good for business. I wonder how that compares to comparable resorts like Ragged, Sunapee, etc...

No clue if Sunapee and Ragged saw losses this year too due to poor weather over the big holidays (though I thought I heard areas in Maine were actually posting near record skier visits after March concluded). However, I'm willing to bet Ragged and Sunapee both saw lower than an 11% drop and poached a good number of skiers from Gunstock.

Ragged with the affordable/family friendly mission picking up steam and Sunapee with MAX last year and moving forward on Epic can't be good for Gunstock, which has been pretty unchanged in their winter ops since the Pano went in like 15 years ago, right?

Smellytele

No clue if Sunapee and Ragged saw losses this year too due to poor weather over the big holidays (though I thought I heard areas in Maine were actually posting near record skier visits after March concluded). However, I'm willing to bet Ragged and Sunapee both saw lower than an 11% drop and poached a good number of skiers from Gunstock.

Ragged with the affordable/family friendly mission picking up steam and Sunapee with MAX last year and moving forward on Epic can't be good for Gunstock, which has been pretty unchanged in their winter ops since the Pano went in like 15 years ago, right?

All three are very similar in pitch and trail character.

I was injured at the end of January which ended my season. I dislocated my ankle which I never thought possible on a snowboard. There was a lack of snow making
during this season and I was told it was due to frozen pipes during the end of December freeze.

drjeff

I was injured at the end of January which ended my season. I dislocated my ankle which I never thought possible on a snowboard. There was a lack of snow making
during this season and I was told it was due to frozen pipes during the end of December freeze.

I do remember a picture on a snowmaking based facebook page from this season about the crew at Gunstock, having to set what basically amounted to a LONG bonfire using hay bales placed on top of the snowmaking line to work on thawing it out. If I recall, it was one of, if not their primary water feed line....

Sorry for your injury!!