• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tremblant First impression -- 2/16/2018

abc

Tremblant is undeniably beautiful!

The mountains are pretty, and with the like below glistering in the late day sun. And the "village" is tastefully build. It blend in with the landscape nicely. It's really cool at the end of the day you ski right past the front door of the shops and condos.

There're lots of trails. Good bit of variety, which unfortunately today was all the same. Hard as rock. Just a difference of smooth rocks vs textured rocks. Occasionally though, if one was lucky, one hit upon one of the trails that was groomed only 1/2 hr earlier and just opened. I hit a couple of them and went right back up for a 2nd helping. But by the time I went back up for a 3rd time, it was half scraped down to the rock hard again. Still, I had some good runs. The best condition were around the TGV lift.

I kept wanting to stop to take pictures. But the cold wind, though not very strong, felt like an ice-knife threatening to cut right through my clothing and skin right to my core. Just the mere thought of taking off my glove to get at my phone, was enough to sent chills down my spine. So sadly, no pictures. Very sad indeed. For the view was definitely quite photogenic.

Mountain runs a little differently than down in the states. Some good, some not so good.

Morning: First thing, there're NO greeters! Not at the bus/car drop off, not at the gondola base either. People milling about going every which way. But which was is the locker? Also for a first timer, I couldn't tell which of the 40 trails that weren't open were, or which chair to avoid.

In fact, that sparse staffing extends to lift op. You don't even see lifties! There're ticket scanners though. But they're way back in the line, not helping organize the line. So filling the chair is done by... nobody! That proved to be challenging when people don't always speak the same language! How do you say "how many in your group" in French???

But there're signs. Tremblant LOVES signs.

Quad, double, single were on BIG signs clearly visible from afar. So singles don't have to waddle through the masses of people standing at the maze entrance waiting for their group. Just pick a clear path to the singles line.

Afternoon: Because there're several different bases, it's a concern one end up in the wrong base when the lift stops spinning. So at 3, swam of people in jackets with a giant "?" mark suddenly appeared out of nowhere! They're there to make sure people ONLY go down to where their car is! Boy, I could have used them "question mark" people earlier.

And on the bottom, they push a HUGE sign at every lift: "LAST CHAIR UP!". So you "should" know by that sign, your next run down must be to where you're parked. I don't know how well it actually works. But if you managed to miss BOTH of those helpful signs, you really can't blame anyone but yourself if you end up on the wrong base.

Strangely, it's some of the green trails that resembles skating ring tilted on its end. While not overly fearful of losing control on the skating ring myself, I was more concerned about those barely in control "unguided human missile" flying by at speed clearly unhealthy!

So, this being my first impression. The mountain is lovely, but my timing isn't the best as condition was far from ideal. I'm here for 3 more days. Hopefully condition will improve...

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

Sorry to hear about those conditions that rots .

Yeah the question mark crew is weird but you sure dont want to be on the wrong pod at days end . Hopefully the groomers can soften the surface.but all groom is off very early there . W,hang in there you will adapt to the eccentricities ..

abc

Today warmed up a tad. And the groomers were able to salvage the condition bit by bit. It’s skiing considerably better today than 2 days ago right after the rain. Of course had to deal with the holiday weekend crowd.

The “question mark crew” were out in full force at the top today! So I asked for where to go, and was unsurprisingly sent over to Edge & TGV. Found the usual soft snow “blanket” at the edge of trails as it got pushed there by the crowd. All in all, an enjoyable day.

Tomorrow will be warmer still. So hopefully further improvements of conditions (one can only hope, right?)

Warp Daddy

Hey glad it improved , this weather is so damn weird this season everywhere ! Hopefully it avoid the crap we are going to get here along The St Lawrence River the next few days . But there are plenty of diversion up there ofqf the mtn ...enjoy , especially the Quebecois cuisine !

abc

Last day to break out the camera?
Yes! :) Will upload tomorrow.

It's 2am. Just arrive home after driving the 300+ miles in the rain (sometimes heavy). 1/2 hr wait at the border despite only 5 cars waiting. (only 1 single booth for returning to the US, while going north to Canada had 3 booths! I guess Trump wants us NOT to return to the US!)

abc

The “question mark” crew jacket

8FDBA9E8-43E0-41FD-B152-1E0DFDB77EDA.jpg

Olympic short track skating... sorry, I mean Trenblant skiing, beginner, home run at 4pm

19D906DA-8F82-46D3-A907-734C73FFA76F.jpg

Attachments

• 8E6AD5C8-1FCE-44A4-ABBC-C740CEA5CB9E.jpg
    8E6AD5C8-1FCE-44A4-ABBC-C740CEA5CB9E.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 40
  • D00D5C00-FC6F-4BA1-AD7C-54B1BEF19558.jpg
    D00D5C00-FC6F-4BA1-AD7C-54B1BEF19558.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 38
  • AEFF934C-4B6E-43CB-A889-C07D38D87C7E.jpg
    AEFF934C-4B6E-43CB-A889-C07D38D87C7E.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

mriceyman

Always loved tremblant until canada wouldnt let me in.. only 2 more years and im rehabilitated

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

abc

The last day being the best. Amazing a few degrees (and hours of grooming I'm sure) can do.

Majority of the runs had a layer of soft snow, various thickness of that. So I took care to avoid high traffic runs. Again, Edge had the longest lasting surface due to lack of skier traffic. Soleil also ski nicely. Even found a bit of corn snow by mid-afternoon.

I was told Nord and the main face of Sud were showing the slick secondary surface. So I didn't go there except to get back to the bottom late afternoon. Though to my surprise, I happened upon a thin strip of nicely groomed (by skier perhaps) on the side of the terrain park! As I still have 1/2 hr before closing, and the crowd had completely gone, I decided to take an extra run back up the TGV. Well, that turned out to be 2 extra runs as there's nobody at the lift maze. Even ventured to take a tiny bit of air as I cruise down the side of the park. :D

So, a lovely day as I closed down the last lift! :) And super late getting home. :(

Saw quite a few glades that could be a lot of fun given the right condition.

p.s.
Sorry for the multiple images. Don't know what the heck is going on with the forum. I'll just refrain from posting photos in the future.

Last edited:

abc

Saturday, to avoid the worst of crowd, and the “extra firm) condition I was experiencing on Friday, I went xc skiing instead.

Peaceful, relaxing day. And some not-so-wild wildlife:

0DDF94AA-B7F5-4E05-8F13-212CB1F47448.jpg

Attachments

• D7FFBF25-D04A-4002-B06E-767BF5C56AF8.jpg
    D7FFBF25-D04A-4002-B06E-767BF5C56AF8.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 33