• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock 2-18-18

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
We switched plans last minute and cancelled Jay Peak to hit Gunstock. We had 50.00+ passes from www.skinh.com purchased in Oct. We arrived on a gorgeous Sunday, at 7:20 AM. We had first row parking. The place filled up in minutes. Friends who arrived at 9:30 waited 45 minutes in traffic to get in. Half day ticket lines were quite long.

The snow, according to www.skinh.com, Gunstock hit the jackpot. There was a solid 9" in most spots and some small drifts in other spots. We took Panorama, the only HS lift and started at Recoil. I should preface this by saying, this is my 5th season as a boarder. I once experienced 6" of powder at Wildcat but was totally unprepared for the thrill I would experience today. I was floating on a cloud of beautiful powder. The sides were knee deep. It took me a while go figure out how to board on this white stuff, but soon, I was blasting straight down the trails. People were whooping and hollering. The lift lines were non existent. Many of our runs, we had the chair to ourselves. Temps were so comfy. We stayed on the east side of the mountain until 11 AM and went in for snacks. I was EXHAUSTED. My legs were on fire. I run and train and have boarded every weekend this month and mid Jan. but was spent by 11.

The lodge was comfortable at 11. We had our own food and dined with friends we met up with. When we came out, the lines were long. We moved to the single line and waited 15 minutes each time. This time we headed to the other side. It was super scary icy and super crowded. Flintlock was a mess. We made two runs and decided to call it a day. We saw one woman walking down almost in tears.

My bf broke a binding and found support in the peak support station. SUPER nice people. The lift attendants were really courteous and friendly. The entire vibe was great. No intensity or manic people (as I have experienced at Snow and K'ton). We loved today, as short as it was. 2.5 hours of powder bliss was something I will never forget. I hope I get to experience this more. I have learned and boarded on ice so long and today, my skill level ramped up two degrees due to a different level of confidence. Man, more of this..powder bliss.

bdfreetuna

TBH you lucked out taking my advice. :lol: But I'm glad you did!

Would love to get up there again some day. Might just move to Concord to solve that problem.