• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Telemark Ski - anyone know about it

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Sorry for bumping an old thread...

I just rented tele skis at Plattekill today. Did not take a lesson because of short notice and expense of private lessons but I did read up and watch a lot of videos. I think I made some progress working on the turn by the time I was done but I was also surprised how it was not difficult to to snowplow and stem christie with them.

Anyway, I am now interested in buying some equipment but I don't know where to find it. Are there any ski shops in the mid Atlantic region that stock boots? Currently browsing ebay but am concerned with fit of boots from buying online - rental boots were pretty uncomfortable.

Also I have been reading up and apparently there are two trains of though for beginner tele gear. Some say the turn is much easier to do satisfactorily on the new gear. Many are saying that the old duckbill boots and cable bindings are best for beginners to force you to get the technique right (and they are a fraction of the cost).

I realize some are saying tele is dead (sadly I was told I was the first person all year to rent tele skis at Plattekill) but I had a good time. The idea would be to do something that would keep me interested and challenged on the hills in PA and slow me down - safer, easier on the knees, better excercise, more fun to do with friends who are infrequent skiers. I am also interested in skinning some hills that cannot be descended well in in xc skis, such as Marcy.

Do any of you have thoughts on beginning telemarketing? Any input would really be appreciated
Not sure what part of Pa. your from but I've seen a great deal of Tele talent skiing Elk , maybe some shops around there?

There has been a lot of demand this year for touring equipment due to Covid ,I'm not sure if it's spilled over to Tele equipment.

PAabe

Not sure what part of Pa. your from but I've seen a great deal of Tele talent skiing Elk , maybe some shops around there?

There has been a lot of demand this year for touring equipment due to Covid ,I'm not sure if it's spilled over to Tele equipment.
I'll check it out - thanks for the tip!

I do usually see a few Tele skiers even at PA areas - there were even a few people in my HS ski club who tele skied - but there were definitely wayyy more people tele skiing at Plattekill than I have seen anywhere else. I have not been to Elk but have been eyeing up getting there this year sometime, we have driven 2 hours up to Montage it would definitely be worth the extra few minutes to get to Elk at some point for a day trip, although it is easier to find people willing to go to montage because they have the $35 ticket with included rentals.

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I'll check it out - thanks for the tip!

I do usually see a few Tele skiers even at PA areas - there were even a few people in my HS ski club who tele skied - but there were definitely wayyy more people tele skiing at Plattekill than I have seen anywhere else. I have not been to Elk but have been eyeing up getting there this year sometime, we have driven 2 hours up to Montage it would definitely be worth the extra few minutes to get to Elk at some point for a day trip.
2 hours up to Montage sounds like Allentown / Philly ? . Try Calling Buckmans ski shops , Great people.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Not sure about PA. Go to Sports Page in NY, to buy your boots and get them fit. Dick will fit them, you will be golden.

Tele boots are 1000% more comfortable than alpine. Have you ever seen a teleperson unbuckle their boots in the middle of the day? I could sleep in mine.

I realize some are saying tele is dead (sadly I was told I was the first person all year to rent tele skis at Plattekill) but I had a good time.
All the tele skiers at Plattekill own their own boots.

It may be dead but it is fun as hell. I do a lot of parallel turns but would never give up my tele gear.

NTN baby.

PAabe

Not sure about PA. Go to Sports Page in NY, to buy your boots and get them fit. Dick will fit them, you will be golden.

Tele boots are 1000% more comfortable than alpine. Have you ever seen a teleperson unbuckle their boots in the middle of the day? I could sleep in mine.

All the tele skiers at Plattekill own their own boots.

It may be dead but it is fun as hell. I do a lot of parallel turns but would never give up my tele gear.

NTN baby.
Shoot I was just at Gore the day before Plattekill and seem to have driven right by there - I'll have to keep them on my radar.

I might just end up getting some old stuff off ebay until if/when I improve enough to justify buying a nice pair but I definitely would be interested in at least trying on an NTN boot at some point so I'll have to check out some of these shops.

Do you know is either NTN or the old style particularly easier to skin and can you skin effectively without the special backcountry bindings?

Last edited:

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Do you know is either NTN or the old style particularly easier to skin and can you skin effectively without the special backcountry bindings?
Both are pretty easy. Most people who tour will want a touring pivot in the binding. You can get that in either style.

Maybe a bit presumptuous of me, but IMO the hot setup is Scarpa TX Pro with 22 Designs Outlaw X.

PAabe

Both are pretty easy. Most people who tour will want a touring pivot in the binding. You can get that in either style.

Maybe a bit presumptuous of me, but IMO the hot setup is Scarpa TX Pro with 22 Designs Outlaw X.
Thanks for the advice. I will see what I can get ahold of.

I did stop in by a ski shop by Elk on the way back home from Plattekill since we were practically going right by anyway - they appeared to have new scarpa tele boots but the place was an absolute zoo of Elk skiers returning rentals so did not stick around.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
FWIW if you are an alpine skier potential reason to switch:

You are so good at alpine you are looking for a challenge
You don't mind going from being hot stuff to a newbie
Skiing with family or other people who keep you on easier terrain at slower speeds. It ups the challenge.

For me, I love the turn itself.

Also I love the ability to traverse with ease. All the most interesting mountains have traverses. (Gore is one of my home mtns).

The boots are surpremely comfortable.

That said, I parallel more than I tele.

Parallel: hard pack, firm surfaces, some trees.
Tele: Soft cord, Pow, soft bumps, trees.

I'm constantly seeking soft snow anyway.

downdraft

The Fey brothers, www.telemarkdown.com , have been selling telemark gear online and B/M for quite awhile. From their site, looks like they are demoing gear at a tele festival at Plattekill on Feb. 26. (The website lists their on mountain demo schedule.)

taul

Curious....Do you Tele guys have adjustable heel lifts like Touring equipment ? Something to attach for the ups that can be removed?
There can be climbing wires in the heel piece that flip up and down. I can remember really old school guys having a contraption made out of PVC pipe and some straps that would sit under their boots.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
A heel lifter? Most telebindings it's standard, I think?
Wasn't sure if you had some type of shimming device to raise your heel off the ski whether that would attach to the binding or your boot . I have a set of Touring bindings ,Dynafit Radiacals they have two heel height adjustments for climbing . I would imagine climbing with teles on a steep slope would burn the muscles on the back of your legs ?

Smellytele

Wasn't sure if you had some type of shimming device to raise your heel off the ski whether that would attach to the binding or your boot . I have a set of Touring bindings ,Dynafit Radiacals they have two heel height adjustments for climbing . I would imagine climbing with teles on a steep slope would burn the muscles on the back of your legs ?
Most tele bindings have them, Some you can buy different sizes after the fact.
Never had my muscles on the back of my legs (calf nor hamstring) burn from steeps

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Most tele bindings have them, Some you can buy different sizes after the fact.
Never had my muscles on the back of my legs (calf nor hamstring) burn from steeps
(y) I'm sure you're in better shape than I am LOL.

Well looking at the long lift line pictures in the other thread , taking some skins along is a cheap option if teles are your daily drivers .