• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2018/2019 Season Pass Prices

drjeff

Stop giving college kids the best deals. They spend the absolute least amount of money at your resort and are likely to ski the most days.

I wonder how much data resorts have to date about the conversion from the cheaper "college/20 somethings adult passes" to the full price "real adult" passes. I know from having talked to many a marketing person in the Peak organization, that the theory is to get the college/20 somethings essentially locked into their mountain out of a sense of loyalty from being a pass holder for previous years, and then in essence make some of the money back as they get older and presumably start using childrens programs and/or bringing a number of friends with them to the mountain who purchase tickets, rentals, lessons, food and beverages, etc...

It seems like from my perspective that for many the "brand loyalty" thing isn't as strong as it used to be these days with that target demographic.....

Smellytele

I wonder if any resort will adopt more of a Las Vegas style ticket pricing system.

Give the cheapest season passes to the people (30+ year olds) who spend the most amount of money on other services, and give them really cheap children tickets.

Stop giving college kids the best deals. They spend the absolute least amount of money at your resort and are likely to ski the most days.
But keeping the college kids with no money skiing will keep them skiing when they get older and bring their kids and in theory make more money.

Smellytele

I wonder how much data resorts have to date about the conversion from the cheaper "college/20 somethings adult passes" to the full price "real adult" passes. I know from having talked to many a marketing person in the Peak organization, that the theory is to get the college/20 somethings essentially locked into their mountain out of a sense of loyalty from being a pass holder for previous years, and then in essence make some of the money back as they get older and presumably start using childrens programs and/or bringing a number of friends with them to the mountain who purchase tickets, rentals, lessons, food and beverages, etc...

It seems like from my perspective that for many the "brand loyalty" thing isn't as strong as it used to be these days with that target demographic.....

I have no brand loyalty at 50. It is all about me, my wallet and what a Mtn offers me.

Zermatt

But keeping the college kids with no money skiing will keep them skiing when they get older and bring their kids and in theory make more money.

I totally agree, but do you really think all the ski areas are working together to keep building the base of younger skiers?

Not sure what the right balance, but ski areas should be rewarding their biggest spenders. Giving discounts on food and lodging to passholders is the best way to track how much they spend as well. I paid $399 for my Pico season pass last year, but you can be certain I spent many times that on food and lessons for my kids. Since I scanned my pass for all these purchases they know exactly how much revenue I generated.

I have no brand loyalty either, but I might if a selling point of the resort was "fewer college kids, who are skiing for 1/3 the price you paid."

Smellytele

I totally agree, but do you really think all the ski areas are working together to keep building the base of younger skiers?

Not sure what the right balance, but ski areas should be rewarding their biggest spenders. Giving discounts on food and lodging to passholders is the best way to track how much they spend as well. I paid $399 for my Pico season pass last year, but you can be certain I spent many times that on food and lessons for my kids. Since I scanned my pass for all these purchases they know exactly how much revenue I generated.

I have no brand loyalty either, but I might if a selling point of the resort was "fewer college kids, who are skiing for 1/3 the price you paid."

When I was in my 20's I probably ate/drank more at ski areas then I did when I had kids. With kids we packed lunch.

speden

I think the cheaper passes for college kids is mostly a case of supply and demand. The college kids don't have much money, so if you don't give them a big discount, they won't go skiing.

KustyTheKlown

theyre also some of your most likely mid week guests, and while they wont be big spenders, a hamburger here and a beer there on a Wednesday adds up.

Jcb890

Killington is out...and they raised their prices. $939 for a full season pass, up from $899 last year.

Can also buy a year round pass for $99/month.

Pico stays the same at $399, but kids 7-12 is up $20 from last season to $199.
Can you pick and choose your months at the $99/month deal? If so, that would be pretty cool to get a pass for December, January, February and March for $400 instead of $939. I'm sure they didn't set it up that way though, it would be too beneficial to us. :D

Smellytele

Can you pick and choose your months at the $99/month deal? If so, that would be pretty cool to get a pass for December, January, February and March for $400 instead of $939. I'm sure they didn't set it up that way though, it would be too beneficial to us. :D

no 99 X 12 so 1188 instead of 939

drjeff

That Beast 365 pass with the 99 a month charge, if you're a K regular and also use their non snow facilities on even a once a month basis during the non season is a really a GREAT deal!!

If one is say a full time local who skis/boards and also golfs/mtn bikes, then that is a phenomenal deal!!

skiur

That Beast 365 pass with the 99 a month charge, if you're a K regular and also use their non snow facilities on even a once a month basis during the non season is a really a GREAT deal!!

If one is say a full time local who skis/boards and also golfs/mtn bikes, then that is a phenomenal deal!!

Yes it is, unfortunately for the other 90% of the Killington clientele it's just another price increase. Hey they gotta pay for the 16 million in improvements this summer. It would be nice if they gave us a better incentive to visit powdr resorts out west but they don't so I won't.

KustyTheKlown

im not sure where to put this, and I don't deem it threadworthy. but I have a flutter of excitement as I just applied for a corporate counsel job with vail in broomfield co, for which I am completely qualified. this could be interesting...

VTKilarney

im not sure where to put this, and I don't deem it threadworthy. but I have a flutter of excitement as I just applied for a corporate counsel job with vail in broomfield co, for which I am completely qualified. this could be interesting...

You have experience with compliance in relation to public lands?

In all seriousness, good luck. That would be a sweet gig for you.

Jcb890

Best of luck!

When can we come visit? :D

KustyTheKlown

You have experience with compliance in relation to public lands?

In all seriousness, good luck. That would be a sweet gig for you.

more that they were looking for 3 years experience in a large in house legal dept, and I have 5. the application also requires you to certify a minimum of blue square skiing proficiency :thumbup:

KustyTheKlown

ikon just announced spring access at winter park, squaw, and mammoth after april 9 if you buy now. I'm not going to California this spring, but they have a ton of snow and could keep their seasons going well into may and beyond.