• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing/Boarding all by yer lonesome

kingslug

Thank god for satellite radio. Have to split the music up between me and the Mrs for the 5 hour drive up. She is definitely not into what I listen to so I have to keep the Motorhead and Rob Zombie to a minimum.

ironhippy

I've done most of my adult skiing by myself, when I was getting back into it, I was the only one I knew who wanted to ski bell to bell every weekend. I've done week long ski trips by myself.

I will ski almost everything by myself (glades, steeps, whatever) however I am definitely more cautious when skiing alone.
I have done a lot of remote mountain biking alone and the same thing holds then, I am a fair amount slower (especially downhill) by myself.

Now I ski solo maybe 50% of the time, but my lifestyle has changed and I'm not skiing bell to bell every weekend anymore.

I love driving by myself (actually prefer to have a dog with me) but I am always relieved the odd time when I don't have to drive.

JimG.

Staff member
I like skiing solo.

Nobody asking me which trail we should ski, no waiting around for chat groups to finish blabbing, no worries about where to go so everyone is comfortable with their ability level, nobody asking me to stop for lunch or to go to the bathroom, nobody complaining where I choose to boot up or when I decide to arrive to ski.

That said I like skiing with others also. I just seem to enjoy my skiing more when solo.

slipshod

My son got me into skiing at an age when most people are getting out, and I'm forever grateful. That being said, I don't mind going without him, or anyone else. I'm retired, live right near a small family-oriented resort, and I can get out several times a week even if no one else can. Sometimes I'll run into a neighbor and do a few laps together, or a stranger on the lift whose company I enjoy. But I also don't mind cranking up the helmet speakers and going it alone. Some of my best days ever, it was just me, some well chosen tunes, perfectly groomed powder and midweek (non-existent) lift lines. The hours melt away on a day like that, and loneliness is not a factor.

jmgard

I'm used to skiing alone since I had class 2 days a week most of my college career so I'd go up midweek to beat the lines. Now I'm an unemployed recent grad but most of my friends already have full time jobs so I'm still in a similar situation. If I'm alone I work on my technique and get a lot of runs in, when I'm with friends the lift beers and other extracurriculars come out so it's a whole other kind of vibe. I like em both, good to mix it up...

skiur

I don't mind skiing alone, I don't do it much so it's a treat when I do, but something I can't do is large groups. 2 or 3 people is the size group I like to ski with, 4 is the max. I refuse to ski with a group that can't all fit on a quad chair.

Smellytele

I don't mind skiing alone, I don't do it much so it's a treat when I do, but something I can't do is large groups. 2 or 3 people is the size group I like to ski with, 4 is the max. I refuse to ski with a group that can't all fit on a quad chair.

My family is 5 so I sometimes ski with 5 (although this year only 4 have gone at any one time). When I do go with larger groups we usually only ski 2 maybe 3 runs all together then we split up into smaller groups. then meet for lunch/apres.

John9

Since I left high school ski club, over 20 years ago, I ski myself almost all the time. I have a weekday off, as my ski day. I have tried to coordinate with others, but is almost impossible. Had fun skiing with others I meet on the lift, that is few and far between. My son is now able to ski easy intermediate runs with me. Hopefully lots of ski trips in the future.

Smellytele

My western trips usually have 35 to 40 people..end up skiing with about 5 of them...which is rather perfect.

I don't have 20 people I like let alone 35 to 40. Come to think of it I don't have 10 people I like for more than an hour at a time and maybe 6 I would like to ski with