• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing/Boarding all by yer lonesome

kingslug

I don't like it. But as the years go by I find myself having to do it when I'm not on a ski trip out west. The wife and I have vastly differing abilities. We can ride the chair together but thats about it, unless I want to take a slow groomer with her, which I do. I bought tunes for the helmet and that has helped but I like to ski with those of equal or even better ability. Its more fun to chase than be chased. I learn more, get pushed more, get scared at times more. Thoughts?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I used to ski alone a lot. But recently I have made a lot of new friends who love to ski and have kids in the same ski camp. In the last few years I can probably count on one hand the number of days I have skied alone. I just don't do it very often.

Back in school, though, I used to go alone a lot because people did not have the same schedules.

Skiing alone means one can cover a lot of ground quickly and do what you want. Some days I prefer to do that. This past weekend my wife and I skied together and we had a great time because we both wanted to ski the same thing.

cdskier

I ski alone quite a bit and it really doesn't bother me. I often find it relaxing and peaceful. My dad can't ski the same terrain I enjoy anymore (Dr told him to stick to groomers and stay off the bumps if he still wants to ski). So even when I'm with my dad, it is often only on the chairlift or a few runs together.

Skiing alone means one can cover a lot of ground quickly and do what you want. Some days I prefer to do that.

This is one of the huge advantages for me of skiing alone. I enjoy not having to debate with someone else where to go next and doing exactly what I want to do. I enjoy not having to stop much to make sure you're still together with someone else.

The downside though is one of the things kingslug mentioned...when I'm by myself I perhaps don't push myself as much as when I'm with someone of a similar (or even slightly higher) ability level. A lot of people I used to ski with either moved away or stopped skiing. I still think I do a decent job of pushing myself, but the risks now are much more calculated. I tended to be a bit less conservative when I'm with someone else that's pushing to ski a certain trail or area.

If I had a choice of skiing by myself or with someone else of a similar ability level that had the same interests I did, then I would pick skiing with someone else. When that isn't an option, I'm content to ski alone.

KustyTheKlown

I ski alone maybe 60% of the time. its the only way I can live in NYC and log 50 day seasons. my ski buddies tap out at about 20 day seasons. I also tend to go west alone at least once a year. this year I'm doing it twice. I did SLC/big sky in December, and I'm doing kicking horse/fernie in a week. my friends wanted to go to Colorado. with the max pass leaving and interior BC options looking unlikely for pass products this year, this was my chance to ski a region I've always wanted to ski, so I am taking it.

I ski far more vertical and far better terrain when skiing alone.

skiing with friends is fun, but it is definitely limiting.

Smellytele

I don't mind doing it. Over years I have done it off and on. Used to work second shift and would ski Cannon in the morning until 12:30-1 a few days a week.

I have found myself doing more now that my kids are teenagers and have jobs and girlfriends but still try to ski with them.

My wife likes skiing but does it much less than I do. 10-15 times a year compared to 30-50 times a year.

This year there hasn't been a day where all 5 of us have skied together. I have skied with them all but there have been days where it has only been myself.

benski

Join Ski Patrol, and you'll never have to ski alone again, and also befriend skiers & riders of all abilities.

Good idea. Most patrollers are volunteers and get a lot of flexibility on which weekends they take. And I think every mountain has a patrol locker room.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If I ski alone, I find that I often will push myself and try new things. To each their own I guess!

Jcb890

I prefer to have a riding partner(s), but solo days every once in a while are nice.

Monday I was alone at Loon, but had a great day... didn't have to wait for anyone or worry about anyone keeping up or not being able to do the trails I wanted to do. I had music going all day, so that was nice as well. If I hadn't brought earbuds though, that would have made things much less enjoyable. Next helmet will need to have something audio-wise built in because dealing with earbuds and a wire to the phone while riding was annoying.

Glenn

I'm fortunate that my wife and I ski together 99% of the time. The only time I'll venture on my own is if a trail is 100% bumped up or the woods. She's a trooper though, she'll drop into the woods now and again.

BenedictGomez

I rarely ski alone, because almost all ski trips are with my S/O, but I do enjoy skiing alone occasionally very much when I have the chance. You get the freedom to go/do WTH you want.

Only downside is I do respect the mountain and dont go into big woods alone, so it limits me to "visible woods", (something like Showoff Glades at Jay Peak) or very highly trafficked woods (something like Bermuda at Smuggs).

Good thread as I found that many of my ski buddies dropped off the last few years or wouldn't want to ski what I wanted to ski.

I figure I ski alone about 25% of the time, enjoy it immensely, but don't challenge myself compared to skiing w a friend. When alone, I ski more vertical and have less down time and tend to ski non-stop for XX number of hours without a lodge break. It's what I want to do and enjoy exploring a new mountain and often meet up w folks on the lift for a run or two. Otherwise, I did join a ski club and have met some excellent, equally passionate skiers. It's been a good year.

As long as I'm out on the mountain, by myself or w some friends I'm good!

bdfreetuna

Only people I have any interest in "skiing with" is my wife and my father. To me it's not a very social activity -- I really like skiing alone and tend to crush a lot more terrain and ski harder -- but it is a family tradition and a big part of our family lifestyle.

It's like riding the chairlift with strangers, as nice and good for a short conversation as they might be, I'm not going to be their ski buddy for the rest of the day :lol:

None of my friends ski anyway so kind of a non factor. If I met one of you at a ski area I'd be down to show you a secret stash or vice versa though.

Domeskier

I ski alone a lot and don't mind it or try to avoid it, but my best ski memories usually involve skiing with other people.

KustyTheKlown

I ski alone a lot and don't mind it, but my best ski memories usually involve skiing with other people.

as the fish say, "its not an experience if you cant bring someone along"

a bit of a double edged sword. if you got radical in the woods but no one was there to see you get radical, did you really get radical?

I have my 2 main NY based ski buddies. neither of them match me for ability. one of them has balls tho and goes wherever I go no matter what and does ok. the other is a bit of a pussyfoot.

my favorite friends to ski with have already departed for snowier and more mountainous locales, and I'm lucky to link up with them once a year. skiing with them, the people I consider to be a step above me in skiing and fitness, is the best. they do everything I want to do and challenge me to be better

all of my other ny based ski people are not nearly as advanced as I am. skiing with them is mostly a bore, but I enjoy spending après and car time with them