ikon pass details released - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

I guess people demand whatever pass in previous year, or something better the following year?

Why is it so hard to accept that the MAX Pass is dead because it was financially unsustainable for the ski areas?

Yes, it was a killer deal for skiers. But when they split up the revenue at the end of the year it was clearly a horrible deal for the areas.
    2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    I haven't heard personally from anyone that it is confirmed, but add on information was clearly listed on the MAX site (there was a blue table with pricing with Add-on next to full MAX) last year. Nothing on Ikon this year. Makes sense they won't advertise that they're ditching the best value from the MAX pass.

Additionally Sunday River has their pass website set up for next year (all prices TBA) and there is no add-on option listed.

Looking on social media, the Boyne mountains have not mentioned anything about an add-on too. They're saying if you want to ski Boyne more than 5 or 7 days you buy a NE pass and Ikon pass for out west.
    At least on the Killington Facebook feed they answered this question as "there will not be an add on for Killington passes next season". They also said the former Okemo reciprocal days will not be coming back.
    2017-2018 season: 43
    |Pico 16, Wachusett 5, Sunapee 5, Skiway 3,Loon 3, Alpine Meadows 2, Killington 1, Okemo 1, Suicide Six 1, Berkshire East 1, Whiteface 1, Snow Bowl 1, Cannon 1, Burke 1, Diamond Peak 1|
    2016-2017 season: 43, 2015-2016 season: 27, 2014-2015 season: 29, 2013-2014 season: 25

Quote Originally Posted by medfordmike View Post
    At least on the Killington Facebook feed they answered this question as "there will not be an add on for Killington passes next season". They also said the former Okemo reciprocal days will not be coming back.
    Pretty much confirms it then.

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    Why is it so hard to accept that the MAX Pass is dead because it was financially unsustainable for the ski areas?

Yes, it was a killer deal for skiers. But when they split up the revenue at the end of the year it was clearly a horrible deal for the areas.
    Pretty certain MAX was reimbursing ski areas between $50 and $60 for a ticket. That is pretty standard voucher/4 pack pricing for most ski areas. Doubt any were getting screwed by having the MAX. Alterra just thinks they can make MORE with the Ikon, and I think that is right.

Items for Sale
    So this deal is not really a surprise IMHO. I figured it would be an unlimited pass at Alterra areas and a pass with a few days at the others. The big surprises for me are:

* No unlimited skiing at Deer Valley;
    * No unlimited skiing at Aspen areas;
    * The HIGH number of "days" at each partner resort;
    * The few states where this is a good deal--CA and CO really are it.

The fact that they did not include DV tells me that they intend to keep that a higher tier destination and fears that it would sell-out are not to be. The same can be said for Aspen and its resorts.....they want to be a part of a multi-pass deal but on their own terms.

The seven-day benefit at partner areas is an interesting number. If you are in New England, you can ski a fair number of days at Killington, Stratton, Sugarbush, and Boyne's resorts to make it work. If you look closely you see that many resorts force you to split those 7 days (Loon, Sugarloaf, Sunday River, Alta, Snowbird, etc). This is not a good pass if you are in Utah.

And that leads me to the last point--really if you are in CA or CO this is a good option because you have some good unlimited options...assuming you are willing to go to each one. If you are anywhere else it is hit or miss.

I don't really see this is as big of a deal as they were crowing it would be. But my expectations were that it would be a combination unlimited/partnership pass as it is.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    so basically theyre saying get fucked?
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Pretty certain MAX was reimbursing ski areas between $50 and $60 for a ticket. That is pretty standard voucher/4 pack pricing for most ski areas. Doubt any were getting screwed by having the MAX. Alterra just thinks they can make MORE with the Ikon, and I think that is right.
    They weren't reimbursing more than they took in.

If people were skiing 20 days you can't pay the area $50 a day.
    2017/2018

yea, I skied 45 days on max last year, and will hit 45 again this year. that would be $2250 of revenue to the areas on my $600 pass purchase. I doubt there are enough people underusing the pass to make up that difference.
    ~the stars turn, and a time presents itself~

That may have been Intrawest's problem to reimburse partners since they owned the pass. Maybe they just split up profits, between Powdr, Boyne, and Intrawest, but that would be a mighty complicated formula and with the number of partner mountains that were independent that got onboard, I suspect it was a little simpler and better for the mountains.

Thread Information