• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ikon pass details released

Jully

I don't know about it being "better" as a whole, but it is acceptable for sure, and I'm not angry like I thought I would be. also, sugarbush is better than any eastern mountain that was on max. max's huge gaping hole was good terrain in northern vt.

This. I'm looking at this pass not as my main pass (not enough days), but as a cost-effective way to ski Sugarbush, the Boyne Mountains(ish) and some amazing western destinations.

Were I not going out west, this would suck. If I was only able to buy 1 pass, this would also suck. MAX was cheaper, but this has better mountains by FAR.

I may be going back to Ragged next year. Not sure if I trust Peaks snowmaking in marginal winters. Opening Crotched a month after Wachusett this year was really frustrating.

KustyTheKlown

gore was the best tree skiing available in the east on this year's max, and whiteface has the slides but they are never open

i'd take sugarbush over gore/whiteface tho

lerops

From a NY perspective and Boston perspective, the negatives are similar. Closer mountains are gone, Catskills and Adirondacks for NY skiers and S NH for Boston folks. But Boston skiers are complaining a lot more.

I think the most recent Max pass was to good to be true.

If this was offered 3 years ago, East coast skiers would be crazy happy. Our reference point shifted with the recent Max pass.

I have to decide between Base and Full, but I am definitely buying.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JimG.

Staff member
Choosing Stratton as the only unlimited days eastern mountain is a total deal breaker for me, along with no more NY mountains. I would have considered Ikon if Killington was the unlimited eastern hill but at $899 the Ikon would be the same price as a K/Pico pass so I understand the business logic that it would be a non-starter for K. I don't care about western locations.

So I will be getting a Killington/Pico season pass and a midweek Peaks pass.

cdskier

Choosing Stratton as the only unlimited days eastern mountain is a total deal breaker for me, along with no more NY mountains. I would have considered Ikon if Killington was the unlimited eastern hill but at $899 the Ikon would be the same price as a K/Pico pass so I understand the business logic that it would be a non-starter for K. I don't care about western locations.

So I will be getting a Killington/Pico season pass and a midweek Peaks pass.

It isn't a business decision from a K perspective. It is the fact that K is not owned by Alterra. Stratton is. Alterra runs the pass product and understandably has their own resorts as the unlimited option. Then they invited other resorts to partner with them for x number of days of those partner resorts.

Smellytele

From a NY perspective and Boston perspective, the negatives are similar. Closer mountains are gone, Catskills and Adirondacks for NY skiers and S NH for Boston folks. But Boston skiers are complaining a lot more.

I think the most recent Max pass was to good to be true.

If this was offered 3 years ago, East coast skiers would be crazy happy. Our reference point shifted with the recent Max pass.

I have to decide between Base and Full, but I am definitely buying.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

What are the times on your signature:

Thunder Ridge 0:35
Mohawk 1:20 ; Sundown 1:35 ; Catamount 1:40 ; Shawnee 1:50
Camelback / Butternut / Hunter 2:00; Belleayre 2:05
Plattekill 2:30; Berkshire East 2:50
Bromley 3:10 ; Mt Snow 3:20 ; Stratton / Magic 3:25 ; Gore 3:30 ; Okemo 3:40
Crotched 3:45 ; Sunapee 3:50; Pico 3:55 ; Killington 4:05 ; Whiteface 4:15
Sugarbush / Cannon / Bolton Valley 4:50 ; Stowe / MRG 4:55 ; Smuggs 5:05
Jay Peak 5:30 ; Sunday River 5:55 ; Sugarloaf / Tremblant 6:45 ; Saddleback 7:00

JimG.

Staff member
It isn't a business decision from a K perspective. It is the fact that K is not owned by Alterra. Stratton is. Alterra runs the pass product and understandably has their own resorts as the unlimited option. Then they invited other resorts to partner with them for x number of days of those partner resorts.

Semantics for me. I could never justify having Stratton as my only unlimited eastern mountain when K is no further away and undeniably far superior.

I'm actually pretty happy about this development, I have been waiting for the push I needed to get a K season pass. And even though I am no PEAKS fan a midweek pass at Hunter (which despite PEAKS efforts to screw up is still the best Catskills mountain and quite pleasant on weekdays) works for me and the bonus is I get Mt. Snow and Wildcat back as midweek options.

cdskier

Semantics for me. I could never justify having Stratton as my only unlimited eastern mountain when K is no further away and undeniably far superior.

Oh I completely agree with you there...was just pointing out why it is the way it is as I've seen numerous comments from people wishing somewhere else in the east was the unlimited option. The problem is Alterra doesn't own any other resorts in New England.

boston_e

Yup... obviously driven by Alterra with Powder / Boyne etc just along for the ride.

Looking at it more, this pass is a non-starter for my family. We will likely do our usual Pico pass with Killington spring pass, or a full Killingotn / Pico pass.

mbedle

I'm going to have to disagree with the fact that Stratton is the only one unlimited in the east because it is owned by Alterra. Copper and Eldora are owned by Powdr and they have unlimited access under the Ikon Pass. Based on that, I am not really sure what the driver was for only have one unlimited resort in the east.

KustyTheKlown

I'm going to have to disagree with the fact that Stratton is the only one unlimited in the east because it is owned by Alterra. Copper and Eldora are owned by Powdr and they have unlimited access under the Ikon Pass. Based on that, I am not really sure what the driver was for only have one unlimited resort in the east.

that's because this is a straight up replacement for the rocky mountain super pass. if they didn't offer those unlimited, there would be Colorado rioting and mass exodus to epic pass.

cdskier

that's because this is a straight up replacement for the rocky mountain super pass. if they didn't offer those unlimited, there would be Colorado rioting and mass exodus to epic pass.

Right...Copper and Eldora are the only two exceptions and that had to be to make it competitive with Epic in CO as a replacement for the RMSP. Every other unlimited resort on the Ikon pass is an Alterra resort. MAX itself wasn't unlimited so there was less of a driver to offer multiple unlimited options in the East with the new Ikon pass.

Jcb890

The only people who seem to think this pass is worse must post on this board, as its a small minority compared to those who think its better, this is 10 times better than the Max in terms of quality of terrain (outside of the NY resorts being dropped) and days offered.

For any Eastern skier that is debating an Epic purchase, this is a no brainer. Compared to the Max pass (which is 779 bucks) the tradeoffs are way better.

I get this is an internet message board and hyperbole is a given, but keep fucking that chicken that the Ikon is worse than the Max. Not many folks are going to agree.

I bet Jackson just gained 25k skier visits at a minimum.
If you actually tried to back up your claim, you would see that on each of the mountain's Facebook pages that posted this deal, it is almost universally an AWFUL response from customers. I have gone through all the comments on Sugarloaf, Killington and Sunday River... not a single post in favor of the IKON Pass. The majority of the comments on the Teton Gravity Research FB Post are also negative, and that is a much broader audience than New England/East Coast. I think I saw 2 positive comments out of 50+ on TGR.

Jully

This. Copper and Eldora wouldn't be able to survive in CO without unlimited access on this pass, most likely. I bet they sold very few exclusive passes these past few years and Alterra would steal even more from them with WP/Steamboat still together.

In contrast, Killington and the Boyne mountains are still doing great. I've heard the NE pass does extremely well for Boyne at the current pricing.

cdskier

If you actually tried to back up your claim, you would see that on each of the mountain's Facebook pages that posted this deal, it is almost universally an AWFUL response from customers. I have gone through all the comments on Sugarloaf, Killington and Sunday River... not a single post in favor of the IKON Pass. The majority of the comments on the Teton Gravity Research FB Post are also negative, and that is a much broader audience than New England/East Coast. I think I saw 2 positive comments out of 50+ on TGR.

Hah...I hadn't thought of looking at the FB comments on the announcements. Was just looking at the ones on the Killington post about Icon and some are absolutely brutal. I did see one comment from someone on Killington's post that thought the new pass was great (but they travel out west a lot I gather from the resorts they were happy about).

KustyTheKlown

the facebook comments on the eastern mountains are pretty funny. people are losing their shit. and the less informed (90% of the people out there, we're an outlier group of obsessives) are all like 'don't worry just get max again', lol.

i doubt the western places are getting any hate. if they are, its probably about the influx of easterners that will flood Jackson :razz:

Oncefast

Any word yet on what areas will allow walk on access? I hate waiting on line.