• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ikon pass details released

Jully

I didn't see that option but I was wondering the same thing.

No add on sadly.

Stratton will be offering Stratton only season passes too I heard. That means this will truly just be an infux of new unlimited passholders.

For the sake or current Stratton regularly it is vital that the Base Ikon has blackouts and a 5 day max.

LItoCOtoMA

What is the price point for you to buy an add on to a qualifying season pass? $350?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skimagic

What did a full season pass cost at Stratton this season?

This seems like a bargain for them and especially for kids. Can’t see how this doesn’t add to the crowds at Stratton.

I picked up an adult season pass with normal holiday blackouts for $399+ tax. Dirt cheap option for day trips from the lowlands.

Yes, Stratton cannot handle crowds well if gondala is closed for wind. I haven't heard if they are going to upgrade the Snowbowl lift this year. Surveyed last spring.

I'm leaning to an ikon pass with a west trip but will have to hit smaller cheaper hills to fill in some days. Sugarbush is too far for a sane day trip.

Edd

No add on sadly.

Is that confirmed? I remember last year that add-on information was on the relevant ski area sites. I don’t recall if it was on the Max site. Looking at the Ikon FAQ, I’m not seeing add-ons mentioned one way or the other.

Also of note, on the Ikon FAQ page, the question of if other ski areas will be added is answered with “This is the current lineup for the 2018-2019 season”, which seems to leave the door open for changes.

sankaty

It's hard to figure how this could be worse for folks like me who ski the Pico/Killington/Okemo corridor and go for a trip out west (Copper in our case). For a family of four, our Pico Passes plus MAX add-on totaled around $2300. We've used our 5 Copper days, will definitely use our 5 Killington and Okemo days, and have already skied Pico 5 times. Making some very optimistic assumptions, the same amount of ski days via the Ikon base option would cost us about $3650. That's an increase of about $1350, or about 63%.

I hope they make some changes that will make this more palatable, but I have little hope. For now, I'm hoping there are enough changes to the Mountain Collective to make that plus a Pico Pass a viable lower-cost option.

Last edited:

boston_e

It's hard to figure how this could be worse for folks like me who ski the Pico/Killington/Okemo corridor and go for a trip out west (Copper in our case). For a family of four, our Pico Passes plus MAX add-on totaled around $2300. We've used our 5 Copper days, will definitely use our 5 Killington and Okemo days, and have already skied Pico 5 times. Making some very optimistic assumptions, the same amount of ski days via the Ikon base option would cost us about $3650. That's an increase of about $1350, or about 63%.

I hope they make some changes that will make this more palatable, but I have little hope. For now, I'm hoping there are enough changes to the Mountain Collective to make that plus a Pico Pass a viable lower-cost option.

Do you mean it isn't hard to figure how the Ikon would be worse?

Our situation is similar to yours, and I figure the IKON will be much more expensive than the max pass add on option.

sankaty

Do you mean it isn't hard to figure how the Ikon would be worse?

Our situation is similar to yours, and I figure the IKON will be much more expensive than the max pass add on option.

Ha! I meant that in the "This is so bad it's hard to see how it could be worse" sense. I see the ambiguity.

I'm so bummed. I know it's just marketing, but I'm finding all the "We're so proud to be part of the Ikon Pass" messaging to be profoundly irritating. To me, it reads "we're so proud to be pricing you out of skiing our mountains." Or maybe, "great news, your ski budget won't allow you to ski here next year!"

Jully

Is that confirmed? I remember last year that add-on information was on the relevant ski area sites. I don’t recall if it was on the Max site. Looking at the Ikon FAQ, I’m not seeing add-ons mentioned one way or the other.

Also of note, on the Ikon FAQ page, the question of if other ski areas will be added is answered with “This is the current lineup for the 2018-2019 season”, which seems to leave the door open for changes.

I haven't heard personally from anyone that it is confirmed, but add on information was clearly listed on the MAX site (there was a blue table with pricing with Add-on next to full MAX) last year. Nothing on Ikon this year. Makes sense they won't advertise that they're ditching the best value from the MAX pass.

Additionally Sunday River has their pass website set up for next year (all prices TBA) and there is no add-on option listed.

Looking on social media, the Boyne mountains have not mentioned anything about an add-on too. They're saying if you want to ski Boyne more than 5 or 7 days you buy a NE pass and Ikon pass for out west.

KustyTheKlown

I haven't heard personally from anyone that it is confirmed, but add on information was clearly listed on the MAX They're saying if you want to ski Boyne more than 5 or 7 days you buy a NE pass and Ikon pass for out west.

so basically theyre saying get fucked?

Zermatt

Why is it so hard to accept that the MAX Pass is dead because it was financially unsustainable for the ski areas?

Yes, it was a killer deal for skiers. But when they split up the revenue at the end of the year it was clearly a horrible deal for the areas.

medfordmike

I haven't heard personally from anyone that it is confirmed, but add on information was clearly listed on the MAX site (there was a blue table with pricing with Add-on next to full MAX) last year. Nothing on Ikon this year. Makes sense they won't advertise that they're ditching the best value from the MAX pass.

Additionally Sunday River has their pass website set up for next year (all prices TBA) and there is no add-on option listed.

Looking on social media, the Boyne mountains have not mentioned anything about an add-on too. They're saying if you want to ski Boyne more than 5 or 7 days you buy a NE pass and Ikon pass for out west.

At least on the Killington Facebook feed they answered this question as "there will not be an add on for Killington passes next season". They also said the former Okemo reciprocal days will not be coming back.

Jully

At least on the Killington Facebook feed they answered this question as "there will not be an add on for Killington passes next season". They also said the former Okemo reciprocal days will not be coming back.

Pretty much confirms it then.

Jully

Why is it so hard to accept that the MAX Pass is dead because it was financially unsustainable for the ski areas?

Yes, it was a killer deal for skiers. But when they split up the revenue at the end of the year it was clearly a horrible deal for the areas.

Pretty certain MAX was reimbursing ski areas between $50 and $60 for a ticket. That is pretty standard voucher/4 pack pricing for most ski areas. Doubt any were getting screwed by having the MAX. Alterra just thinks they can make MORE with the Ikon, and I think that is right.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So this deal is not really a surprise IMHO. I figured it would be an unlimited pass at Alterra areas and a pass with a few days at the others. The big surprises for me are:

* No unlimited skiing at Deer Valley;
* No unlimited skiing at Aspen areas;
* The HIGH number of "days" at each partner resort;
* The few states where this is a good deal--CA and CO really are it.

The fact that they did not include DV tells me that they intend to keep that a higher tier destination and fears that it would sell-out are not to be. The same can be said for Aspen and its resorts.....they want to be a part of a multi-pass deal but on their own terms.

The seven-day benefit at partner areas is an interesting number. If you are in New England, you can ski a fair number of days at Killington, Stratton, Sugarbush, and Boyne's resorts to make it work. If you look closely you see that many resorts force you to split those 7 days (Loon, Sugarloaf, Sunday River, Alta, Snowbird, etc). This is not a good pass if you are in Utah.

And that leads me to the last point--really if you are in CA or CO this is a good option because you have some good unlimited options...assuming you are willing to go to each one. If you are anywhere else it is hit or miss.

I don't really see this is as big of a deal as they were crowing it would be. But my expectations were that it would be a combination unlimited/partnership pass as it is.

Zermatt

Pretty certain MAX was reimbursing ski areas between $50 and $60 for a ticket. That is pretty standard voucher/4 pack pricing for most ski areas. Doubt any were getting screwed by having the MAX. Alterra just thinks they can make MORE with the Ikon, and I think that is right.
They weren't reimbursing more than they took in.

If people were skiing 20 days you can't pay the area $50 a day.

KustyTheKlown

yea, I skied 45 days on max last year, and will hit 45 again this year. that would be $2250 of revenue to the areas on my $600 pass purchase. I doubt there are enough people underusing the pass to make up that difference.

Jully

That may have been Intrawest's problem to reimburse partners since they owned the pass. Maybe they just split up profits, between Powdr, Boyne, and Intrawest, but that would be a mighty complicated formula and with the number of partner mountains that were independent that got onboard, I suspect it was a little simpler and better for the mountains.