• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ikon pass details released

sankaty

Align like ski areas in Ontario? Give me a break.

Does anyone have a definitive answer regarding Pico? Everyone assumes Ikon will be valid but nobody has an answer with certainty.

Killington has said definitively that Pico will not be included in several sources. This is from their FB page yesterday:

Andrea Schwartzman: Why does this not include pico????
Killington Resort: While Pico Mountain offers an amazing big mountain skiing/riding experience, it does not align with the other destinations included on the Ikon Pass.

I suppose (and hope) this could change, but they have been very clear that Pico is not included.

Edit: I suppose that it's possible that they don't mean to indicate that the Killington days cannot be used at Pico (though that would be very confusing based on the above statement). I've asked them this question directly on their FB page. I'll let you know if they respond.

abc

Well, this reminds me I should take advantage of my MAX pass to ski Pico this season!

It's one of my favorite mountain. A shame it'll no longer be included in next season's Ikon pass. (doesn't change my plan to get Ikon next year, just I'll try to use my 5 days this year).

p.s.

I'm re-prioritizing the rest of my northeast season by focusing more on the mountains which will no longer be on Ikon next season: Gore, Pico, Bellearye, Whiteface.

Is Sunapee worth a day or two?

Last edited:

Zermatt

Killington has said definitively that Pico will not be included in several sources. This is from their FB page yesterday:

Andrea Schwartzman: Why does this not include pico????
Killington Resort: While Pico Mountain offers an amazing big mountain skiing/riding experience, it does not align with the other destinations included on the Ikon Pass.

I suppose (and hope) this could change, but they have been very clear that Pico is not included.

Edit: I suppose that it's possible that they don't mean to indicate that the Killington days cannot be used at Pico (though that would be very confusing based on the above statement). I've asked them this question directly on their FB page. I'll let you know if they respond.

Honestly, that is not a definitive answer as to whether or not I can I use my Killington days at Pico.

I accept that you don't get 5 days at K AND 5 days at Pico (or 7). But it blows my mind that you would prevent people from using their K days at Pico.....its like forcing people to only use their passes during holiday periods for maximum crowding.

I asked them as well on Facebook, hope they can give a clear answer.

sankaty

Honestly, that is not a definitive answer as to whether or not I can I use my Killington days at Pico.

I accept that you don't get 5 days at K AND 5 days at Pico (or 7). But it blows my mind that you would prevent people from using their K days at Pico.....its like forcing people to only use their passes during holiday periods for maximum crowding.

I asked them as well on Facebook, hope they can give a clear answer.

Upon further reflection, I agree that it's not definitive, but I don't know why they wouldn't just say that the total days can be split between K and Pico if that's the case. It's almost like they are temporizing, but I can't imagine why.

abc

But, but, but...

If you're planning to ski Pico, you probably wouldn't pay through the nose to stay up at Killington village, would you?

sankaty

I found this extremely illuminating comment from Okemo in response to a question on their FB page:

Okemo Mountain Resort: Hi Ellen, The Ikon group has not yet invited Okemo to the party (we even told them we'd bring the bubbly....
1f923.png
). We are exploring many different options and we'll do everything in our power to provide our guests with the best season pass options that we can.

This is both frustrating and encouraging. It seems that Okemo would like to join Ikon, and maybe that possibility still exists (Sugarbush wasn't included in the original announcement)? Having Okemo and Killington (and Sugarbush!) all on the Ikon would make all the difference for us.

machski

Lame response from Killington regararding the Ikon pass:
http://www.killington.com/site/cult...solimano/from-the-top-killington-and-the-ikon

I still don't get why Pico isn't included. Their line is "While Pico Mountain offers an amazing big mountain skiing/riding experience, it does not align with the other destinations included on the Ikon Pass."

What does that mean? Will Alterra not accept Pico on the pass?

I have no way of knowing the business forces that made that resulted in the Ikon disaster. It may be that Killington would have been very happy to continue with a MAX type arrangement, but the other mountains would not cooperate. It would go a long way in placating me if places such as Killington made some statement along the lines of "We regret that the new pass options will result in a large price increase for some of our customers, but due to the changing nature of the ski industry, this is the best multi-mountain option that we can currently offer, and we are very excited about the product."

Instead, the subtext of all the announcements is that the Ikon is great, and they don't understand why some people are upset.

Do people think that Okemo will join one of the other consortia? Maybe the Mountain Collective? Other than Jay, I think they are the only major VT mountain not on a multi-region pass.
I disagree. Obviously from Mike's response, Intrawest (now basically Alterra) drove the Max pass. When they killed Max, K's (and obviously Boyne too) were invited to join the new Ikon or not do it and go it alone (or see if they could get on MC). It sounds like Alterra hand picked resorts to join, I seriously doubt they wanted Pico included (not a full time resort in many ways including not even open 7days/week). I think Mike's explaination is valid, the choices were limited for K.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

I found this extremely illuminating comment from Okemo in response to a question on their FB page:

Okemo Mountain Resort: Hi Ellen, The Ikon group has not yet invited Okemo to the party (we even told them we'd bring the bubbly....
1f923.png
). We are exploring many different options and we'll do everything in our power to provide our guests with the best season pass options that we can.

This is both frustrating and encouraging. It seems that Okemo would like to join Ikon, and maybe that possibility still exists (Sugarbush wasn't included in the original announcement)? Having Okemo and Killington (and Sugarbush!) all on the Ikon would make all the difference for us.
True on SB, but they were on MC this year with JHMR, Snowbird and others. Who knows why Alterra invited the resorts they did. Maybe they felt Okemo was too similar to Stratton?

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

ghughes20

I wonder if Stratton, being a resort that is now owned by the group, pushed to not include Okemo? Maybe they didn't want another resort option so close to Stratton? Hopefully, this can change before next year.

The Pico situation is very strange.

sankaty

I asked this question of Killington via FB: Is it true that the Killington days on the Ikon Pass cannot be used at Pico?

Here is their response: That is true. The Killington season pass will still include Pico though.

So, as crazy as it seems, the Ikon pass days will not be valid at Pico unless they change the policy.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I asked this question of Killington via FB: Is it true that the Killington days on the Ikon Pass cannot be used at Pico?

Here is their response: That is true. The Killington season pass will still include Pico though.

So, as crazy as it seems, the Ikon pass days will not be valid at Pico unless they change the policy.

Really? I would have thought it would have been the other way around.

abc

I think so. Easy cruisers and beautiful views if that’s your thing. I went for the first time myself because of the Max pass and I’m glad I did.
Thanks. Yes, view is "my thing".

And easy cruiser will do for the moment since nowhere has any off-piste in play anyway. Might just be the perfect time for that visit.

heiusa

A weekend lift ticket bought online for Pico is $62, the same ticket is $100 at killington, if you only get either 5 or 7 days at K, why would you waste it at Pico. What I usually do is ski K on Saturday and at Pico on Sunday, since I don’t ski a full day on Sundays. I am not sure how the Ikon pass will work, and not sure why K wouldn’t let you ski at Pico, a K ticket works at Pico, not the other way around obviously.

deadheadskier

Staff member
A weekend lift ticket bought online for Pico is $62, the same ticket is $100 at killington, if you only get either 5 or 7 days at K, why would you waste it at Pico. What I usually do is ski K on Saturday and at Pico on Sunday, since I don’t ski a full day on Sundays. I am not sure how the Ikon pass will work, and not sure why K wouldn’t let you ski at Pico, a K ticket works at Pico, not the other way around obviously.
Someone who prefers Pico probably doesn't look at those economics

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

boston_e

Unkess it is a weather pattern where the snowmaking capacity at K is needed, why would you ever go to K on a Saturday when Pico is right next door?

Edd

Unkess it is a weather pattern where the snowmaking capacity at K is needed, why would you ever go to K on a Saturday when Pico is right next door?

I’m completely with you. If both are in decent shape, the vibe/crowds at Pico are far superior, and largely influence how my day goes.

But, to each his/her own. Pico being on the pass would certainly make the Ikon more palatable to me.

sankaty

I’m completely with you. If both are in decent shape, the vibe/crowds at Pico are far superior, and largely influence how my day goes.

But, to each his/her own. Pico being on the pass would certainly make the Ikon more palatable to me.

Also, while getting the Ikon Pass for the whole family is likely too expensive, there are scenarios where it might make sense for me to get an Ikon Pass and the rest of us to get Pico Passes. Because I can't use my Ikon days at Pico, those possibilities are scuttled.