• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Storm skiing..... Chasing the snow vs knowing the mountain???

tnt1234

From the Binghamton NWS office (which covers the western part of the Catskills including Belleayre and Platty):

Oh jeez.

Well, I have my AT rig and skins in the car....I guess I can climb if need be. Maybe try Highmount.

sankaty

Oh jeez.

Well, I have my AT rig and skins in the car....I guess I can climb if need be. Maybe try Highmount.

I hadn't thought of that! Maybe tomorrow is my chance to rent AT gear if everything is on hold. Thanks!

I find that actual winds frequently don't quite live up to forecasts, so I'm hopeful, but tomorrow does look touch and go for lifts.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd say I generally chase snow over mountain familiarity, but there are a lot of factors involved. I'd rather ski a place that gets 12" and has less traffic than a place that gets 2 feet and is mobbed.

Do Work

Depends on the storm. For this event there are only three mountains I'd bother with and one is closed for the season- Plattekill and Magic being the viable choices and Hickory the wish-it-was-spinning moonshot.

This snow will be thick and heavy, so you're going to need a good fall line to work with. Add in that it's going to be super windy and that further reinforces that choice with fixed grip lifts that run more effectively in storms. They're also not super popular places, so you won't run into the "resort pow day" bs, which basically means the snow is continually crushed into tiny diamond bumps all day, not the "free refills" we all love to get. Nobody wants to ski tracked out pow- NOBODY!

It's even a weekday. If you aren't headed to Platty or Magic you're doing it wrong. Whiteface would be a killer spot, but their lifts will run for *maybe* a combined 15 minutes with the winds forecasted for Friday, and that's being generous. Anywhere with detachable lifts will be on wind hold for the vast majority of this storm.

Jully

Also if somebody would like to mention how crowded Gore gets on a Saturday ..

Is this rhetorical? I'm intrigued at this too. Looking to hit Gore + Whiteface in a weekend coming up. Not sure where the better place to be on Saturday is and am interested in hearing this too (not to derail the thread...)

bdfreetuna

Is this rhetorical? I'm intrigued at this too. Looking to hit Gore + Whiteface in a weekend coming up. Not sure where the better place to be on Saturday is and am interested in hearing this too (not to derail the thread...)

It's a possibility for this Saturday especially if they get the goods. So I guess that makes it non-rhetorical.

cdskier

I've never experienced any major crowds at Gore on Saturdays...but it has also been several years since I've been there. I always felt it was one of the more pleasant places to ski on a Saturday. Lots of different pods to spread people out. If one area did get crowded, just move to a different lift/pod.

Vaughn

Depends on the storm. For this event there are only three mountains I'd bother with and one is closed for the season- Plattekill and Magic being the viable choices and Hickory the wish-it-was-spinning moonshot.

This snow will be thick and heavy, so you're going to need a good fall line to work with. Add in that it's going to be super windy and that further reinforces that choice with fixed grip lifts that run more effectively in storms. They're also not super popular places, so you won't run into the "resort pow day" bs, which basically means the snow is continually crushed into tiny diamond bumps all day, not the "free refills" we all love to get. Nobody wants to ski tracked out pow- NOBODY!

It's even a weekday. If you aren't headed to Platty or Magic you're doing it wrong. Whiteface would be a killer spot, but their lifts will run for *maybe* a combined 15 minutes with the winds forecasted for Friday, and that's being generous. Anywhere with detachable lifts will be on wind hold for the vast majority of this storm.

Sounds good, going tomorrow.

Do Work

Sounds good, going tomorrow.

Wise choice!

We came in to 8-10 up top this morning- significantly more than forecasted or even reported early. Killer day already and it’s supposed to nuke cats and dogs until 3am!

Pez

Honestly I just go where I can ski the cheapest. Sunday sleeper at Mount Snow, and I have a Butternut season pass which also gets me half price Stratton tickets sun - fri.

bdfreetuna

Depends on baseline conditions.

If it's a matter of that storm making the difference to open up terrain, I'll chase the powder just for the terrain.

If the conditions are already good everywhere I'll just go where I want to ski.

So overall, terrain driven mindset. Powder is a means towards more terrain. I do really enjoy skiing powder, but I'd rather ski awesome woods leftovers than a featureless slope with fresh powder. Unless that slope was actually not featureless, and steep, then give me the powder.