• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backpacks, Bluetooth and Bad Music

ThinkSnow

Rode Super Bravo at Sugarbush with college age kids over President's day weekend. One of them had Duran Duran's "Hungry Like the Wolf" blaring from his Bluetooth speaker. For the most part they ignored me. I took a brief undercover video of them to show my wife and kids (who stayed home on a great ski day) so they could meet my new ski family. Eventually they talked to me and at one point asked my name. I told them Simon Le Bon.
Thats freaking awesome!!!

NYDB

I'd like to know what the benefit of the speaker versus headphones is. Seems like it would be infinitely worse. Most of the speakers I've seen sound incredibly tinny.

They seem to be much better than earphones/headphones for annoying old folks. By the looks of the people sporting them it would seem it's at least a part of the equation. I tend to hear a lot of classic rap coming out of them. Which is pretty funny.

Glenn

I'm far more annoyed with the leaving the skis and poles lying around on the ground trend.

I had a rant with a visual aid just about a year ago: http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/139267 :lol:

I'm seeing examples of this at Stratton. Seems to be mostly younger folks; late teens/early 20's. Although, I did see some dude (Mid 50's I'd say) in the lift line last year wearing a Bluetooth speaker around his neck.

shwilly

Eventually they talked to me and at one point asked my name. I told them Simon Le Bon. They didn't even blink an eye.

Wait, "didn't blink an eye" as in they thought sure, he's goofing on our music, or did they not know who Simon Lebon is? Either way, that's hilarious. Way to roll with it.

Side note: Duran Duran's hits from their glory days have aged very well, way better than most synthy 80s top 40 stuff, IMHO.

Last edited:

Oz Von Toco

I don't mind it if it's reasonable loudness. It just annoys me when it's so loud I can hear the speakers blowing from 2 chairs away. Again - even it's music I like. I sometimes wear headphones especially when I go alone but always take them out for lift rides with others. I'm 26 - but I agree with my elders on this one haha. Don't mind it at all when I mountain bike since the riders doing that are typically slow riders so they're not in earshot for very long haha

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Heard a bluetooth speaker in some kid's backpack at Butternut yesterday - (don't judge me as I had to get out for some turns), and since there was no one on the mountain it seemed incredibly loud.

I just skied off and never saw the kid again.

mikec142

Wait, "didn't blink an eye" as in they thought sure, he's goofing on our music, or did they not know who Simon Lebon is? Either way, that's hilarious. Way to roll with it.

Side note: Duran Duran's hits from their glory days have aged very well, way better than most synthy 80s top 40 stuff, IMHO.

They had no clue who Simon Le Bon is. I agree with you...when I heard DD, I admit to smiling.

It was actually a pretty entertaining lift ride. Give me that over the rides where nobody says a word.

asnowmobiler

I have Bluetooth speakers in my helmet. I used to use earbuds, but these work so much better, because I can still hear whats going on around me as long as they aren't cranked up too high.
And I can even take phone call if I need to.

cdskier

They had no clue who Simon Le Bon is.

I had no clue either until I looked it up as I figured there had to be meaning behind you saying you were him. There's some music I listen to where I may not know the names of members of the band.

sankaty

The Koss KSC75 headphones are a fantastic cheap way to get audio into any helmet that is drop-in audio compatible:

https://smile.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75...id=1519923389&sr=8-5&keywords=koss+headphones

The clips pop off and they fit perfectly in the audio-chip space in the ear pads. I pair them with a cheap clip-on bluetooth receiver for a fully wireless solution. So much better and less expensive than the proprietary options.

I can't say I've experienced the Bluetooth speaker in a backpack phenomenon yet on a ski mountain.

Jcb890

People rocking the speaker is annoying. Most of the speakers sound like garbage as others have said.

I have no issue with someone using earbuds or playing music through their helmet. If I can faintly hear it on the lift, no problem either. But, if I can hear you the whole way down the trail blaring music, that is just obnoxious. If it is annoyingly-loud on the lift, no need either.

I was "that guy" on President's Day at Loon... had my earbuds in all day. I thought it was a great escape. I tried to pull 1 earbud out on the lift each time so I wasn't ignoring anyone, but there was 1 or 2 lift rides I forgot. One time I got off and said "have a good one" to the rest of the gondola and the other 3 people laughed... they must have been trying to talk to me during the ride up. :lol:

Normally I don't have any tunes to hear what is going on around me, talk to others, etc. But, if I'm out riding by myself I enjoy having some music to listen to. Having to use earbuds sucks big time also, IMO. My next helmet (current one is ~15+ years old) will have built-in audio of some kind.

BenedictGomez

People rocking the speaker is annoying.

It's awful.

Made worse by the fact that 90% of the time it's a 16 - 23 year old playing music they think is "trendy & hip" and they must be seen/heard listening to it. Insufferable.

abc

It's awful.

Made worse by the fact that 90% of the time it's a 16 - 23 year old playing music they think is "trendy & hip" and they must be seen/heard listening to it. Insufferable.
Tell them that sounds like the music you would listen at home.

That ought to take the "coolness" out of them.

fullsend22

I can't believe this is a serious thread...If you are a good skier you are only near these people on the trail for half a second. This is a non-issue.

*END THREAD*

BenedictGomez

I can't believe this is a serious thread...If you are a good skier you are only near these people on the trail for half a second. This is a non-issue.

*END THREAD*

Whelp.... We've outed our first, "inconsiderate, mountain ski music blaster".

Jully

*END THREAD*

Lift rides haha. Just this past weekend at Attitash I was on the summit triple with my friend and the dude next to us had his speaker going the whole time. That was a fun 15-20 minutes (with stops).

asnowmobiler

"I can't believe this is a serious thread...If you are a good skier you are only near these people on the trail for half a second. This is a non-issue.

*END THREAD*"

I guess you forgot about waiting in the lift line or the ride up.