• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backpacks, Bluetooth and Bad Music

jmgard

I feel like enough of an asshole wearing headphones and not talking to anyone (lot of midweek skiing alone and am not a super outgoing person in general), but that's just obnoxious... and I say that as a 23 year old. It's like blaring whatever you're watching on your phone on the train, nobody else wants to hear it and you're making everyone hate you. Your phone/iPod/whatever it is comes with headphones, use 'em!

bdfreetuna

I do not care if you have a boombox on your back whilst skiing but if you are wearing earbuds you are not able to hear skiers around you and you are putting me in danger by compromising your awareness in an inherently risky sport.

What's next, watch a movie on a heads up display on your goggles? Catch a Pokemon or two?

jmgard

Fortunately I use the basic Apple earbuds which aren't exactly great so I hear more snow/ice scraping and other skiers than actual music... mostly just for long slow lift rides. Someone wearing Bose or something like that and/or turned up super loud would be 100% in their own world and I agree very dangerous. If it's real busy (such as at Snow on weekends) I won't wear them but on empty days it has never been an issue for me. No worse than driving with music on.

asnowmobiler

This is why I use helmet speakers. I keep the level low enough that I don't even hear the music while skiing, just when stopped or on the lift.

Euler

The Koss KSC75 headphones are a fantastic cheap way to get audio into any helmet that is drop-in audio compatible:

https://smile.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75...id=1519923389&sr=8-5&keywords=koss+headphones

The clips pop off and they fit perfectly in the audio-chip space in the ear pads. I pair them with a cheap clip-on bluetooth receiver for a fully wireless solution. So much better and less expensive than the proprietary options.

I can't say I've experienced the Bluetooth speaker in a backpack phenomenon yet on a ski mountain.

I took an old school pair of walkman style headphones and clipped the speakers of those. Fit perfectly into the pockets in my helmets earflaps. I just ordered a $10 in line volume/mic/controller thingy that should complete my setup nicely

kevinm55

I'd like to know what the benefit of the speaker versus headphones is. Seems like it would be infinitely worse. Most of the speakers I've seen sound incredibly tinny.
Skiied at Jiminy several weeks ago and let my 11 year old ski with his friend (also 11) to give him a taste of independence. They we're both very responsible and had a great time. However, I was bummed to have to answer some complicated questions asked later in the day about lyrics they heard on the chairlift from an "artist" known as Lil' Pump...people cursing in front of children has always bothered me but blasting music with terrible lyrics is next level stupid - I realize I may sound like a total square and perhaps it is just my age but thought I would share. Grateful Dead would be no issue for me - LOL!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

jmgard

Skiied at Jiminy several weeks ago and let my 11 year old ski with his friend (also 11) to give him a taste of independence. They we're both very responsible and had a great time. However, I was bummed to have to answer some complicated questions asked later in the day about lyrics they heard on the chairlift from an "artist" known as Lil' Pump...people cursing in front of children has always bothered me but blasting music with terrible lyrics is next level stupid - I realize I may sound like a total square and perhaps it is just my age but thought I would share. Grateful Dead would be no issue for me - LOL!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

I'm sorry for anyone that has to hear Lil Pump...

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I do not care if you have a boombox on your back whilst skiing but if you are wearing earbuds you are not able to hear skiers around you and you are putting me in danger by compromising your awareness in an inherently risky sport.

What's next, watch a movie on a heads up display on your goggles? Catch a Pokemon or two?

I was cut off by a 20 something girl with her arms fully extended and texting . Her mittens hanging off stings attached to her coat sleeves ,she was actually skiing pretty well .But WTF ?

ThinkSnow

Skiied at Jiminy several weeks ago and let my 11 year old ski with his friend (also 11) to give him a taste of independence. They we're both very responsible and had a great time. However, I was bummed to have to answer some complicated questions asked later in the day about lyrics they heard on the chairlift from an "artist" known as Lil' Pump...people cursing in front of children has always bothered me but blasting music with terrible lyrics is next level stupid - I realize I may sound like a total square and perhaps it is just my age but thought I would share.
Where was the music coming from? A skier or did the mountain have music playing?

Glenn

Remember when tattoos had a certain air of bad assery? Now I just look at people: "Boy, they're gonna regret that decision when they hit their 30's." Unlike bad music, bad tattoos are permanent.

SkiingInABlueDream

About 10 or so years ago I once saw a guy (or kid) skiing with a pair of speakers duct taped to his helmet. It was the dorkiest looking thing which was maybe half the point, but at least I liked the song at the moment...

urungus

I was bummed to have to answer some complicated questions asked later in the day about lyrics they heard on the chairlift from an "artist" known as Lil' Pump...people cursing in front of children has always bothered me but blasting music with terrible lyrics is next level stupid - I realize I may sound like a total square and perhaps it is just my age but thought I would share. Grateful Dead would be no issue for me - LOL!

I dunno ... you might have to answer some complicated questions about the lyrics to “Casey Jones”