• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backpacks, Bluetooth and Bad Music

kevinm55

Urungus - fair point re some Dead Lyrics! Mexicali Blues could lend itself to an interesting discussion too! Lil Pump from somebody's backpack, what can you say...

Kills me that I cannot ski this weekend - hope that all of you who are in the Catskills get after it when power is restored.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Glenn

Two examples today at Stratton. No backpack, but it was a speaker in the coat. I guess there is a downside to technology making devices smaller and more portable. :lol:

gmcunni

noticed it today on the slopes as well, several people. but one guy was playing adult contemporary tunes.

sankaty

I experienced this for the first time at Stratton yesterday when encountering a pack of snowboarders is the woods. I can't say it bothered me too much this one time. To my everlasting shame, however, I couldn't keep up with them once they started moving, and the waning music mocked my failure.

Seems rude to keep it going on a lift, though. I even pause my headphones unless it's clear that it's going to be a silent ride.

urungus

Experienced this annoying behavior today on the Red Chair at Magic. Someone a couple chairs up was blaring a country song I didn’t recognize, then “The Joker” by Steve Miller Band.

ThinkSnow

Wildcat Quad chair Saturday. Ignorant teens with USB speaker playing it in the lift line, on the chair, etc. It would appear they had it on so people would notice, since it was so windy early in the day, I doubt the person carrying it could even hear it.

MommaBear

Mount Snow this weekend. Came down Challenger and stopped to catch my breath not too far from the lift. Hear music. Turned to my husband and asked "since when does Mount Snow play music on the North Face?" Music got louder than passed overheard on the lift. Heard music from backpacks several more times during the day on the slopes themselves. Not sure if same kid or additional ones.

Glenn

I encountered this a few times at Stratton Sunday. Thankfully, they were either skiing, or away from us in the liftline.

asnowmobiler

I was on a lift in the Poconos this past Sunday and I thought they had a band playing on the top of the mountain, it turned out the be a kid with a speaker in his backpack three chairs ahead of me and I could hear every word and beat in the song.

KustyTheKlown

Remember when tattoos had a certain air of bad assery? Now I just look at people: "Boy, they're gonna regret that decision when they hit their 30's." Unlike bad music, bad tattoos are permanent.

lol I'm 32 and considering my first/only tattoo. I just want a small minimalist geometric green circle, blue square, and black diamond, in a vertical line, on my inner forearm. have not pulled trigger. want to tho.

BenedictGomez

I'm not a fan of tattoos at all & wouldn't get one, but I think the minimalist ones are best. There's a fiddler in a band I like who has an f-hole (yes, they're really called that) on each of his inner arms. A very clever tattoo IMO.

benski

I hate tattoos so much i had a summer job at a beach, and saw women walk in front of me in bikinis all day, but all of them had tattoos so which made it a wash.

BenedictGomez

I hate tattoos so much i had a summer job at a beach, and saw women walk in front of me in bikinis all day, but all of them had tattoos so which made it a wash.

That's part of why it's annoying.

It's like Dr. Seuss' "Sneetches" has come true.

latest

KustyTheKlown

as for the music, if I am alone I am wearing headphones. i'll take one bud out on the chair if I'm in a talky mood or the people who I'm riding with look like people I may want to talk to. this is generally a snap judgment based on the equipment and outerwear and demographics of the other riders. I tend to not care to talk to families or obvious jerrys. touring bindings and fat skis? definitely will take the ear bud out.

as for amplified music, I don't have a speaker that would work for that purpose, but I don't think it would be the worst thing for reasonable volume while tree skiing. not appropriate for lines and lifts. I also don't think its inappropriate for hiking, if its kept only loud enough for you and your party to hear and you aren't clearly disturbing other people

benski

But when its RAP with F this every other word, and kids are around, I wanna take the speaker and smash it...

As long as they are not saying N*****. Many of my friends in high school began to immitate that part of RAPs in high school. Its was really uncomfortable to here.

KustyTheKlown

As long as they are not saying N*****. Many of my friends in high school began to immitate that part of RAPs in high school. Its was really uncomfortable to here.

drives me crazy when white people use the n word, even singing along, and especially when using it casually and dropping the hard r as if that makes it ok. my ex is black and I was made particularly sensitive to it and had to call out friends on a few occasions. I don't date her anymore but I still call out my friends when they pull that shit.

benski

drives me crazy when white people use the n word, even singing along, and especially when using it casually and dropping the hard r as if that makes it ok. my ex is black and I was made particularly sensitive to it and had to call out friends on a few occasions. I don't date her anymore but I still call out my friends when they pull that shit.

I think singing along is too be expected even if the N-word is in a song. Thats where I join the line. I just wish the artist would show a little more thought towards this issue I have experienced.