• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backpacks, Bluetooth and Bad Music

bdfreetuna

If you can't tell half the black artists are unfortunately happily paid to sell ideas of violence, drugs and drug dealing, sex with no consequences and cheating, racial grievance, deadbeat dad behavior and woman portrayed as nothing more than ass. And I mean much less than half of black artists overall, but like with all people there are some willing to sell out, or are morally bankrupt in the first place.

The same could be said for white artists in the "grunge era" of the 90s which pushed persistent themes of degeneracy, many songs which I enjoy, but let's not be naive how the recording industry works.

People will sing along to songs. It's unfortunate there are fat cat music executives, probably on the level of Harvey Weinstein, making bank off this crap while our nation and the world under "our" influence suffers.

This is what I call institutional racism at the highest level.

Pez

Eh rap isn't so bad... I got Rick Rolled by the Bear Trap lift speakers Sunday while waiting for the Sunbrook quad. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ThinkSnow

I also don't think its inappropriate for hiking, if its kept only loud enough for you and your party to hear and you aren't clearly disturbing other people
Sorry to say, but that kind of logic is incorrect. Nobody goes hiking to hear other people playing music, and thinking that its only loud enough for you and your party to hear is just inconsiderate of anyone else having to share the trail with you.

cdskier

Sorry to say, but that kind of logic is incorrect. Nobody goes hiking to hear other people playing music, and thinking that its only loud enough for you and your party to hear is just inconsiderate of anyone else having to share the trail with you.

Agreed, sounds can travel much further than people think in the quiet of the woods. Chances are if you have your music loud enough so you and your friends can hear it, then others on the trail can probably hear it too.

I think mountains should start pulling tickets for people who play their music over a speaker.

I think in general we need to educate people to be respectful of others. Too many people only think about themselves and don't realize (or don't care) about the impact to others around them.

my taek: out in the woods, no one else around, chilling with friends, a blu_toof speaker can be cool. skiing with one blasting out of a backpack is corny.

none of it bothers me, as i recognize that the world is not my living room, and if i try to make everyone behave as if it were, i would go crazy. if my kid hears it and asks me about it i will explain it to them, like a parent should. a person getting belligerent is a different story, like that crazy ass sugarbush skier who went HAM on the kids

old.jpg

ThinkSnow

my taek: out in the woods, no one else around, chilling with friends, a blu_toof speaker can be cool. skiing with one blasting out of a backpack is corny.
How do you define "no one else around?" If you own your own private wilderness that can guarantee your privacy, then ok. Otherwise, "Too many people only think about themselves and don't realize (or don't care) about the impact to others around them."

BenedictGomez

I think mountains should start pulling tickets for people who play their music over a speaker.

I wouldnt start there, but I'd go there if a first warning was ignored.

Mountains are already banning drones, they can certainly ban external speakers.

Glenn

I almost took a pic today: Hipster dude with a beard, capri like pants, yacht rock emanating from an olive green "looks like an army issue, but probably paid more" backpack.

gmcunni

I almost took a pic today: Hipster dude with a beard, capri like pants, yacht rock emanating from an olive green "looks like an army issue, but probably paid more" backpack.

learned something new today -

"In the musical sense, yacht rock refers to the highly polished brand of soft rock that emanated from Southern California between 1976 and 1984. The term is meant to suggest the kind of smooth, mellow music that early yuppies likely enjoyed while sipping champagne and snorting cocaine on their yachts.

jimk

This thread makes me feel good that I'm not the only old fart on here. Blasting tunes out loud on a ski slope is not so great, but at least it has that retro thing going for it that takes me back to my college days in the 70s, when the kid with the loudest stereo in his dorm room was the coolest guy on campus.

How do you define "no one else around?"

res ipsa loquitur

real world expample: out for a walk in my local state park, hear voices and music, not loud, mind you...come across two teenage girls hanging out on a rock, listening to some music, and otherwise behaving themselves...no trash, no satanic rituals etc...said hello to them and continued on my way...i fail to see how this could bother/hurt anyone, but i am not a crotchety old man who insists that everyone in the world must conform to my standards, and i am glad for that because it seems like it would be a truly miserable experience

as to the music pumping out of a backpack whilst skiing, like i said, it's just corny, to me...they aren't hurting anyone and it doesn't bother or affect me one bit...i might laugh at them, but then i will just ski away and go about my business without giving it another thought

Glenn

learned something new today -

"In the musical sense, yacht rock refers to the highly polished brand of soft rock that emanated from Southern California between 1976 and 1984. The term is meant to suggest the kind of smooth, mellow music that early yuppies likely enjoyed while sipping champagne and snorting cocaine on their yachts.

My wife didn't believe me when I told her it was a style of music. Then she asked Alexa to play Yacht Rock when we got back to the house.

Glenn

did alexa play steely dan and Michael McDonald?

Yes, and also created a "Yacht Rock" station on our Pandora account.

This all stemmed from a Friday we went skiing. In the Sunbowl Lodge, they usually play a rock or classic rock station. On that Friday, it was a much lighter selection. I said to my wife: "Notice the music? It's much lighter....sounds like Yacht Rock...."

cdskier

I had never heard of "Yacht Rock" until this thread...

BenedictGomez

Bonaventure Quad, about 2:15pm today, the chair behind ours, 2 kids roughly 13 years old - one drops his fully loaded backpack from about 40 feet, which lands with a loud, "SMACK" - thank god it didnt hit anybody.