• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backpacks, Bluetooth and Bad Music

Glenn

I've noticed lately, some people are skiing/riding with a Bluetooth speaker in their backpack, blasting music for everyone on the mountain to enjoy. Now, if you want to rock out to music in your earbuds whilst reliving your glory days of parallel turns, CB jackets and skiing in jeans, more power to you. Just have some situational awareness as you careen down the hill. But blasting the music from your backpack? I just don't get it. Even if it's music I like.

Maybe I should be telling people to get off my lawn this spring?

cdskier

100% agree with you. Although it seems like I've seen this less this year than I did last year. Some people have no consideration or respect for people around them.

Edd

I’ve seen it too. Ridiculous, much like people who never put their smartphone on silent or who have loud phone conversations wherever they please.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

rtjcbrown

Totally agree. There is an increasing lack of personal awareness these days

WJenness

I think these should be the next thing that ski areas ban. It's obnoxious.
</Old_Man_Status>

ThinkSnow

I've also experienced this while hiking in the White Mountains actually, and yes it is rude & inconsiderate-- I think even more so when hiking & trying to enjoy the peace & quiet. Just curious, what ski areas is everyone experiencing this at?

Edd

As far as the old man stuff goes, senior citizens appear to be the worst offenders of non-silent smartphones. My father was really bad with that.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Jully

I'd like to know what the benefit of the speaker versus headphones is. Seems like it would be infinitely worse. Most of the speakers I've seen sound incredibly tinny.

ironhippy

As far as the old man stuff goes, senior citizens appear to be the worst offenders of non-silent smartphones. My father was really bad with that.

Not only that, this has been a complaint for a long time, it's not just new technology (although it is easier).

In the 80's people used to walk around with "boomboxes" and everyone hated them too.

cdskier

I've also experienced this while hiking in the White Mountains actually, and yes it is rude & inconsiderate-- I think even more so when hiking & trying to enjoy the peace & quiet. Just curious, what ski areas is everyone experiencing this at?

I've seen it a couple times at Sugarbush...but like I said it seems like less this year than last year.

Hah. My dad loves to watch videos from facebook or youtube on his smartphone at full volume and think nothing of it even if other people are around.

shwilly

It's silly, but at least at a ski area you can move away from them quickly. I'm much more annoyed by speakers at the park, or the beach, or the pool. Thankfully I've never encountered it hiking.

And it goes without saying that everyone's music is crappy except mine.

Pez

I'm far more annoyed with the leaving the skis and poles lying around on the ground trend.

Edd

I'm far more annoyed with the leaving the skis and poles lying around on the ground trend.

That seems polarizing like cilantro. I couldn’t care less about that, but a lot of folks hate it.

It makes me think of Bullwinkle’s at Sugarloaf during spring. It seems the majority of skiers just leave them on the ground. Fits with the vibe, somehow.

sull1102

I'm under 30, most on here would probably hate riding the chair with me because I have my Bluetooth buds in listening to my music, but this whole trend of oh everyone wants to listen to my music is 100% obnoxious.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

mikec142

Rode Super Bravo at Sugarbush with college age kids over President's day weekend. One of them had Duran Duran's "Hungry Like the Wolf" blaring from his Bluetooth speaker. For the most part they ignored me. I took a brief undercover video of them to show my wife and kids (who stayed home on a great ski day) so they could meet my new ski family. Eventually they talked to me and at one point asked my name. I told them Simon Le Bon. They didn't even blink an eye. At one point they talked about going over to Castlerock, but they were concerned that it's a double chair and there were three of them. I told them they could probably fit three if they tried. They were like, "Wow...thanks dude...appreciate it."

I just brush that stuff off or try to have fun with it.

tumbler

Rode Super Bravo at Sugarbush with college age kids over President's day weekend. One of them had Duran Duran's "Hungry Like the Wolf" blaring from his Bluetooth speaker. For the most part they ignored me. I took a brief undercover video of them to show my wife and kids (who stayed home on a great ski day) so they could meet my new ski family. Eventually they talked to me and at one point asked my name. I told them Simon Le Bon. They didn't even blink an eye. At one point they talked about going over to Castlerock, but they were concerned that it's a double chair and there were three of them. I told them they could probably fit three if they tried. They were like, "Wow...thanks dude...appreciate it."

I just brush that stuff off or try to have fun with it.

Yes I heard the Duran Duran blaring also but did not get teh privilige of riding the chair with them.

crank

I have heard this hiking, mountain biking and skiing and I think it is rude and completely unnecessary.