Killington summer improvements - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 79
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Don't the triple and quad already have the capacity of a six pack.
    Not really because they are very slow lifts.

    I thought the Quad was going to stay and just the Triple replaced with the 6-pack anyway?

    2017/2018: Baby Julia born 12/3/2017!
    [Bolton Valley: 2/19] [Bromley: 2/7] [Jay Peak: 4/11, 4/12] [Killington: 12/15, 1/10, 3/15*, 3/24] [Mad River Glen: 2/14, 3/9*] [Magic: 3/8***, 3/23] [Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/22*, 4/19] [Pico: 2/9] [Stowe: 2/15] [Sugarbush: 4/22]

    2016/2017: * = powder day
    [Berkshire East: 1/16, 2/10] [Bolton Valley: 1/1, 2/5*, 2/19] [Burke: 12/17*, 1/28*] [Heavenly: 3/5*, 3/11] [Jay Peak: 1/29*, 4/9] [Jiminy Peak: 11/26] [Killington: 12/4, 12/10, 4/8*, 4/15] [Kirkwood: 3/8] [Mad River Glen: 2/25] [Magic: 2/13*] [Mt Rose: 3/7*] [Mount Snow: 4/3] [Northstar: 3/10] [Okemo: 11/23] [Pico: 1/7*, 2/18, 3/19] [Smuggler’s Notch: 1/22] [Stratton: 2/4] [Stowe: 1/21] [Sugarbush: 1/2] [Telluride: 3/27, 3/28*] [Whiteface: 2/12]

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Not really because they are very slow lifts.

    I thought the Quad was going to stay and just the Triple replaced with the 6-pack anyway?
    Quad is going to South ridge, triple isn't going anywhere, just had a lot of work done to it including a mid station for the racers.

  3. #43
    ahh thanks for clarifying
    2017/2018: Baby Julia born 12/3/2017!
    [Bolton Valley: 2/19] [Bromley: 2/7] [Jay Peak: 4/11, 4/12] [Killington: 12/15, 1/10, 3/15*, 3/24] [Mad River Glen: 2/14, 3/9*] [Magic: 3/8***, 3/23] [Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/22*, 4/19] [Pico: 2/9] [Stowe: 2/15] [Sugarbush: 4/22]

    2016/2017: * = powder day
    [Berkshire East: 1/16, 2/10] [Bolton Valley: 1/1, 2/5*, 2/19] [Burke: 12/17*, 1/28*] [Heavenly: 3/5*, 3/11] [Jay Peak: 1/29*, 4/9] [Jiminy Peak: 11/26] [Killington: 12/4, 12/10, 4/8*, 4/15] [Kirkwood: 3/8] [Mad River Glen: 2/25] [Magic: 2/13*] [Mt Rose: 3/7*] [Mount Snow: 4/3] [Northstar: 3/10] [Okemo: 11/23] [Pico: 1/7*, 2/18, 3/19] [Smuggler’s Notch: 1/22] [Stratton: 2/4] [Stowe: 1/21] [Sugarbush: 1/2] [Telluride: 3/27, 3/28*] [Whiteface: 2/12]

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Not really because they are very slow lifts.

    I thought the Quad was going to stay and just the Triple replaced with the 6-pack anyway?
    Speed and capacity are too different things. Slow chairs can have more chairs on the line to make up for being slow. Though it was a while ago i think win claimed detaches have the same capacity as a fixed grip. I assume the association comes from ski areas putting detaches where they want the most capacity. It is probably cheeper to add capacity to a detach, since you need fewer chairs. Also the six pack is kinda low capacity, since it is only 3,000 people an hour. According to this old trail-map, Superstar and snowdon quads have the same capacity as the new six pack, though 3,000 people per hour for a quad sounds really high to me. It also states the snowdon triple and double combined serve 3,075 people per hour.

    I think lifts typically max out at 1,200 for doubles, 1,800 for triples, 2,400 for quads...

  5. #45
    ^ Those numbers add up. I can confirm the triple is only good for 75 people an hour.
    2017/2018: Baby Julia born 12/3/2017!
    [Bolton Valley: 2/19] [Bromley: 2/7] [Jay Peak: 4/11, 4/12] [Killington: 12/15, 1/10, 3/15*, 3/24] [Mad River Glen: 2/14, 3/9*] [Magic: 3/8***, 3/23] [Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/22*, 4/19] [Pico: 2/9] [Stowe: 2/15] [Sugarbush: 4/22]

    2016/2017: * = powder day
    [Berkshire East: 1/16, 2/10] [Bolton Valley: 1/1, 2/5*, 2/19] [Burke: 12/17*, 1/28*] [Heavenly: 3/5*, 3/11] [Jay Peak: 1/29*, 4/9] [Jiminy Peak: 11/26] [Killington: 12/4, 12/10, 4/8*, 4/15] [Kirkwood: 3/8] [Mad River Glen: 2/25] [Magic: 2/13*] [Mt Rose: 3/7*] [Mount Snow: 4/3] [Northstar: 3/10] [Okemo: 11/23] [Pico: 1/7*, 2/18, 3/19] [Smuggler’s Notch: 1/22] [Stratton: 2/4] [Stowe: 1/21] [Sugarbush: 1/2] [Telluride: 3/27, 3/28*] [Whiteface: 2/12]

  6. #46
    chair potential capacity (assuming a chair doesn't stop for an hour straight....) is really pretty easy. Most lifts load (and therefore unload) at 6 to 9 second intervals...

    if you've got a quad, regardless of if its a highspeed or fixed grip, with 6 second chair spacing (the common spacing for many lifts) it's going to move 2400 people an hour up the mountain. The only thing that a highspeed does is shorten the ride time, not increase the capacity.

    With industry standard 6 second spacing, a single's capacity would be 600 and hour, a double 1200 an hour, a triple 1800 an hour, a quad 2400 an hour and a 6 pack 3600 an hour. Often with 6 packs, the spacing is increased to 8 or 9 seconds to give the extra people on each chair more time to load and unload with the theory being more people on a chair ='s more chances of chaos loading or unloading....

    So the 3000 people per hour on K's new bubble 6 pack translates into a chair loading/unloading every 8.33 seconds
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '07-'18 seasons: 567 Days

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    chair potential capacity (assuming a chair doesn't stop for an hour straight....) is really pretty easy. Most lifts load (and therefore unload) at 6 to 9 second intervals...

    if you've got a quad, regardless of if its a highspeed or fixed grip, with 6 second chair spacing (the common spacing for many lifts) it's going to move 2400 people an hour up the mountain. The only thing that a highspeed does is shorten the ride time, not increase the capacity.

    With industry standard 6 second spacing, a single's capacity would be 600 and hour, a double 1200 an hour, a triple 1800 an hour, a quad 2400 an hour and a 6 pack 3600 an hour. Often with 6 packs, the spacing is increased to 8 or 9 seconds to give the extra people on each chair more time to load and unload with the theory being more people on a chair ='s more chances of chaos loading or unloading....

    So the 3000 people per hour on K's new bubble 6 pack translates into a chair loading/unloading every 8.33 seconds
    It seems like all our calculations so far have assumed that the triple and current snowdon quad were at capacity. This usually isn't the case. While the Snowdon quad can have a line on weekends, the triple usually only has 2 people on most chairs.

    I think we will be seeing an increase in people on Snowdon with the new lift, simply from the fact that the new lift is a destination lift or iconic lift--something like a gondola that attracts the non hardcore crowd. I honestly would have thought that a 6 person bubble lift would be more likely on ramshead first.

    And personally I'm fine with that. I never really liked snowdon anyway. I skied it too much during early season and hate the "wipeout zone" (aka the intersection of Chute, Mousetrap, Great Northern).
    "Well, they called him Super Skier,
    As he sat around the sundeck,
    For he swore that he would never take a spill.
    When they finally brought him down
    They had to use three toboggans
    To carry all the pieces down the hill."
    --Chad Mitchell Trio

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    It seems like all our calculations so far have assumed that the triple and current snowdon quad were at capacity. This usually isn't the case. While the Snowdon quad can have a line on weekends, the triple usually only has 2 people on most chairs.

    I think we will be seeing an increase in people on Snowdon with the new lift, simply from the fact that the new lift is a destination lift or iconic lift--something like a gondola that attracts the non hardcore crowd. I honestly would have thought that a 6 person bubble lift would be more likely on ramshead first.

    And personally I'm fine with that. I never really liked snowdon anyway. I skied it too much during early season and hate the "wipeout zone" (aka the intersection of Chute, Mousetrap, Great Northern).

    I think the location of the Snowdon 6 makes perfect, strategic sense for the lower ability skier/rider transitioning out of Snowshed/Ramshead. Great Northern, off the top of K-1 has arguably it's most challenging, and easiest places for a lower level skier/boarder not very familiar with K's trail layout, to make a wrong turn from the summit on down through North Ridge and on over to Snowdon. Now, with the bubble 6 very near the connector from Ramshead over to the K-1 lodge, that demographic can avoid riding K-1 and get to the trails on Snowdon easier. It will also likely draw more than just that traffic off of K-1's lines, but likely some others as well, many of whom used Snowdon more as a pass through area of the mountain rather than a pod to lap for a while
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '07-'18 seasons: 567 Days

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    I honestly would have thought that a 6 person bubble lift would be more likely on ramshead first.
    Rams head seems small for a six with only 3 trails. I have never seen a crowd there though having never skied it anywhere near peak crowds.

  10. #50
    ALLSKIING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    East Setauket,NY/Killington,VT
    Posts
    6,764
    It gets beyond busy at peak times

    Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app
    Dave
    11/12 Season 13
    12/13 Season 17
    13/14 Season 22
    14/15 Season 30
    15/16 Season 24
    16/17 Season 32
    17/18 Season 10

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:45 AM.